E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another fuel pump bites the dust...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 535xi and thus far it has been a great car with no problems at all. I have had the odd occasional longer crank but nothing major. Well this morning it happened. It took the car at least 10 seconds to start and as soon as the car was in gear I got the delightful "Engine malfunction - reduced power" warning. I limped the car to the dealer (it felt like I was driving a 3 cylinder 4000 lbs car) where the car is sitting right now. I had to complain a bit to get a BMW loaner (the dealer has both BMW loaners and Enterprise). I guess I will see what is wrong - my money is on the fuel pump. Even the sales manager thinks it is a fuel pump (which he says is a "rare" occasion and only happens on the 2007s (I smelled the BS right away)).

Oh and for the record, 19,XXX miles on the car. The car is a July 2008 production. I only used Shell 93 octane and every 3000 miles I used redline fuel injection cleaner. The car drove fine the last couple of days.

On the upside, I have a X5 diesel loaner. Whatever desire I had for an SUV is now cured .
Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

my fuel pump has just about bitten the dust too. i called the dealership to make an appointment, they said they couldnt promise me a loaner. I told them to tell me when one was availible. They told me they can put me in a rental. I told them to find me a BMW loaner and call me back. they never did. Now I have a car that barely starts. and a service department blowing me off.

Call me a snob, but I pay a lot of money each month to drive this car. I am not hitting the streets in a dodge neon for a week unless they are making a quarter of monthly lease payment.

sorry for the hijack. saw the HPFP thread and had to vent
Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

if you have the same issue more than 3 times you will qualify for the lemon law. That's what happened to my 535i and BMWNA bought my vehicle back.

If you want a bmw loaner go by 7 am, usually the loaners are first come first serve.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Update: Now my service loaner is leaking oil over my garage floor!!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1049646' date='Nov 7 2009, 04:13 PM
my fuel pump has just about bitten the dust too. i called the dealership to make an appointment, they said they couldnt promise me a loaner. I told them to tell me when one was availible. They told me they can put me in a rental. I told them to find me a BMW loaner and call me back. they never did. Now I have a car that barely starts. and a service department blowing me off.

Call me a snob, but I pay a lot of money each month to drive this car. I am not hitting the streets in a dodge neon for a week unless they are making a quarter of monthly lease payment.

sorry for the hijack. saw the HPFP thread and had to vent
No worries about the hijack. I hope they will be able to fix it soon too. Initially the dealership was less then helpful when I called them from the car and told them I was dropping the car off. Thankfully I have a great sales person that was able to talk to her manager who got me the loaner.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Munich77' post='1049754' date='Nov 7 2009, 08:40 PM
No worries about the hijack. I hope they will be able to fix it soon too. Initially the dealership was less then helpful when I called them from the car and told them I was dropping the car off. Thankfully I have a great sales person that was able to talk to her manager who got me the loaner.
my salesman was great, maybe I should try calling him. I shit you not, his name is Magic. Maybe he can work some.

I will likely just show up really early like dbae suggested.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

never ending problem with HPFP's
Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

They should make the fuel pump out of solid gold....
Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1050762' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:58 AM
They should make the fuel pump out of solid gold....
Titanium
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I don't know what the heck BMW is thinking - this can KILL their business, especially, since they are planning to come out with a lot more turbo-charged engines in the near future. Downright embarrassing and is worth international attention IMHO - if this happened with Toyota, it would've made 11 o'clock news!

In case anyone at BMW is reading this, I am one customer who bluntly decided to keep my NA I-6 and NOT trade up to an N54-engined BMW solely because of the HPFP issues I witnessed my friends were having. RI DI CU LOUS !!!

Quick Reply: Another fuel pump bites the dust...?