E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another Battery Bites the Dust!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Well...they replaced/fixed the IBS and......STILL DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

Now they're going to try to just pop in a new battery and see what happens.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AP Sales
When I replaced my (original) battery a few months ago at 112,000 miles I just went to a local shop and had a good battery installed for $200. I did not have it registered by the BMW service - I figured this registration thing was a load of BS. So, now at 124,000 my idrive is showing "high battery discharge." I think without the battery registration, I have toasted my battery. If it tests bad, then I'll have it replaced by the battery warranty and then take it to BMW for registration.

By the way, battery life is usually more a function of time than miles from my experience.
Follow Up: Diagnosed as a passenger front door handle (comfort access) was not working properly and not letting the car go to full sleep mode. Replaced door handle assembly, cost $650.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AP Sales
Follow Up: Diagnosed as a passenger front door handle (comfort access) was not working properly and not letting the car go to full sleep mode. Replaced door handle assembly, cost $650.
Good to know the found your problem even though the repair is costly.

As for me, changing to the new battery still didn't fix my problem so I'm back to square one.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

just replaced mine with a $90 battery from Smyth Automotive (Part's Plus) exact match on cold cranking amps. Noticed the battery is exact same height but about an inch less in length. Did the swap myself. That was about a month ago and haven't had a single issue. Had to initialize active steering, other than that no lights, warnings, or issues. Battery has a 5 year warranty.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 M5 Alpine White/Silverstone/Extended leather 10 535xiT M-sport Carbon Black/Black

Originally Posted by flint
just replaced mine with a $90 battery from Smyth Automotive (Part's Plus) exact match on cold cranking amps. Noticed the battery is exact same height but about an inch less in length. Did the swap myself. That was about a month ago and haven't had a single issue. Had to initialize active steering, other than that no lights, warnings, or issues. Battery has a 5 year warranty.

guys, don't kid yourselves. yes, you can put any battery in there. however, the reprogramming is true, and needed. my 528i 2007 just took a battery dump 3 days after service; it only has 8000 miles on it because my mom (65) drives it to grocery store, etc. It was #1) not driven enough to allow a charge and (2) three years old. I have replaced batterys at 2-3 years on all my BMWs in the past 10 years, M cars and regular cars alike. Stealer wanted $598 for battery and programming; at the end of the day, it was free (used some old dealership connections) and covered [with great difficulty]. Apparently this is a common problem/misconception, or really, "MISCOMMUNICATION" on E60s, and the 7 series, and new 5 series. Apparently the car draws too much battery power daily and if not driven enough, the battery fails earlier without being driven.

The problem is the e60 bus is different. It is not simple, and in fact, self aware. Each module needs to be rebooted and readjusted when the electrical system is changed, or part altered, that is part of the main MOST bus. My current M5 threw a STEERING WHEEL POSITIONING SENSOR (not critical, eh), and had 3 low battery, two limp mode, and 3 dealer trips UNTIL it was diagnosed. I did get a new battery under warranty, and ultimately it was fixed, after reprogramming and rebooting the entire system. I suspect it will be a problem on the E70s as well, as they use a similar most bus.

I think its important to realize that one doesn't 'need' to do this; it simple will kill your battery sooner if it is being over charged or undercharged; therefore, I would replace the battery with the one whose specs most closely resemble the OEM.

I miss the days of the Ibus and CANbus; made things so much easier.

Get ready for the days of OVER THE AIR programming upgrades on the F series...
Old 05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Is it possible for some of the better indie shops to be able to install and register a good replacement bat.? Im sure some of them MUST have the scan equip.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530i/2007 328i Coupe

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr
Is it possible for some of the better indie shops to be able to install and register a good replacement bat.? Im sure some of them MUST have the scan equip.
Yes. It's not rocket science. Most reputable shops will have the necessary equipment to scan and clear codes, and reset the charging system.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Good to know the found your problem even though the repair is costly.

As for me, changing to the new battery still didn't fix my problem so I'm back to square one.
Another update on my on going saga. Trying a new battery didn't help so they said they think it was just an error code that's stuck there so they cleared the code and told me it seemed okay. Told me to pick up my car and "monitor" the problem. Well, error warning came back very next day and everyday since then.

I have no idea what they'll try next and it sounds like they have no clue either.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Just dropped my car off at the dealer again today....4th time now in the last month and a half.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Dude, you are waaay too patient for this crap!

Having to go back repeatedly and wasting your time, let alone not having the M5 for a month (at least) is totally unacceptable. Have you tried another dealer? Maybe that'll help. This may be a strech, but can you claim "lemon?" Just asking. But seriously, Good luck

Quick Reply: Another Battery Bites the Dust!