E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Annoying Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Annoying Oil Leak

Ok, I can't seem to track this leak down! I have a 08 535 with a N54 Engine. Often and I mean like almost every time, when I drive the car I get a oil burning smell that enters the cabin. This condition seems to be worse in the morning or after the car has sat for a few days. Actually last month there was smoke come out from the right fender well after the car sat for four days however I've only seen this once though. I recently replace the oil filter housing gasket and that took care of the oil leak around the cap. I though for a brief second or rather hoped that was the cause of the smell. I'm leaning towards the valve cover gasket but this afternoon when I removed the deco cover the area looked ok. I was expecting to see visual oil somewhere. I did see what I would consider normal seepage with dust on it but really no oil leaks. I then removed the lower cover and just to the right (passenger) direction there is steering bar that has a motor on it. This entire area is wet with oil and it seems to be coming from above and dripping on the lower panel. I believe the thermostat and water pump is up in this area as well. Quite a few black rubber hoses which all had oil but I could not actually see any drips etc. My guess is that if has to be high since more than likely its dripping on the exhaust manifold somewhere and this would be where the smoke and smell would come. Can't really see how the leak would drip upwards unless it was spraying....
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Tony, the oil leak you were describing may have come from the oil filter housing gasket leak - looks like you've fixed that. See if you can clean up that entire area with brake parts cleaner and check back after few days of driving to see if the leak is continuing.

I am thinking there is a leak towards the rear of the engine (possibly from the rear main seal) that may be dripping on the exhaust components (resonators/exhaust pipe), this can cause that smell you are describing.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by pcy
Tony, the oil leak you were describing may have come from the oil filter housing gasket leak - looks like you've fixed that. See if you can clean up that entire area with brake parts cleaner and check back after few days of driving to see if the leak is continuing.

I am thinking there is a leak towards the rear of the engine (possibly from the rear main seal) that may be dripping on the exhaust components (resonators/exhaust pipe), this can cause that smell you are describing.
PCY, I think I ruled out the filter housing. I replaced this several weeks ago and ran car maybe 700 miles after it was replaced. No further leak noticed in the area. The leak that was there was puddling just below the cap. I cleaned the front engine area up and it still looks nice but I did not remove the lower panel as I did today. I have everything off at the moment and wiped down what I could get to. I will drive car tomorrow and see if the smell returns and iff I can see anything else where it could be coming from. Sat a friend of mine will have a look as well but he is pretty sure 90% that its the valve cover. If he doesn't find anything then I'll spray some cleaner and get her really clean and just watch it. Ah, we will check that main seal too.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Still don't know exactly where the leak is coming from. The dealer today had the car for the brake light recall and said that the valve cover was leaking a little but didn't think it was bad. Offered to replace gasket for $1165.00. I almost choked on my drink!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Offered to replace gasket for $1165.00. I almost choked on my drink!

How long did the dealer take to replace the brake lamp holder? I have to bring mine in too.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dingolfing

How long did the dealer take to replace the brake lamp holder? I have to bring mine in too.
I dropped it off the day before and collected it the following mid day. They did say about 1.5 hr. I am sure there was a little inspection time added in to see if they could score a few repairs.

My leak turned out to be the valve cover in the rear corner. Gasket was very brittle and a pita to change. I have a friend from work who used to be a mech at the dealer so I have acces to good work at great prices. Dealer wanted around 1100.00 and the gasket cost me 35.00 at dealer and 270.00 labor from my friend. Overall didn't have to get my hands dirty. I do still have a oil pan leak but this is not dripping on the hot areas. Not sure if I will have this one replace or not.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Tony, glad to hear that you took care of the valve cover gasket, and the burning smell - especially at a steep discount.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Tony, glad to hear that you took care of the valve cover gasket, and the burning smell - especially at a steep discount.
Now, I am just waiting for you to come to SC to replace that oil pan gasket. I know I am not up to that one! After he explained briefly what was involved to change it, I might need to seek a second job...