E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Annoying AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NES' date='Jun 22 2005, 09:01 AM
What I dont understand is how most in this thread are complaining that AC comes on after you start the car?? The car only switches AC on if you had it on prior to shutting it off.? It remembers your last fan and climate setting.? All current and last model BMWs have done this, except with the last (e39) even the temperature was set digitally.? Now at least we have the manual temperature selector like in the e28.? If you left AC on, then AC will come on.? If you shut everything to an "off" position, when you restart it comes on... and here is what I dont get some of your statements... I dont get any sudden blast.? mine comes on at low fan speed and I have always had this.? My 2004 X5 also does this.? If I had AC on prior to shutting it off, then AC will come on again, but again, no blast, unless of course its set on "AUTO".
All cars do that; remembering your last setting.? Some do it because they are manually set in a position, some "remember" it because they are digitally set.? If you have a Honda and all the selections are manual, when you start the car it will again start at your last setting.? Same for Infinity, I suppose the same for most cars.? What you last leave it at, it will last go to.? If you have it set to auto, the fan will push air through till the "set" temperature has been reached.?
In our cars we have what is called a climate control system.? Im sure studies have been taken and realized that this is a better solution than to have to switch it on everytime.? Imagine having set your temp, fan and all and being comfortable.? then you leave the car and come back.? By the time some get belts on and are ready to go they can melt... or freeze.? I guess its not such a bad idea for winter then, huh?
Only in AUTO mode can I understand that sudden blast after turning that key, but thats because the system is trying to get to "YOUR" desired temperature as fast as possible.? The sudden blast doesnt happen any other way.? If it does, try switching AUTO off.? If it continues have your car checked out, because its not supposed to happen.?

Oh, and for you tom...please refrain from calling a comment anyone on this board makes that you dont like as the "dumbest statement", because your obviously not into this board for what its purpose is... to inform e60 owners about their cars.? My "DEAL WITH IT" comment was simply for those who have it set on auto and complain that it blasts when they get back in.? If I didnt make myself clear, which I guess I didnt, I apologize.? At the same time I do not appreciate and Im sure most members on here can agree that if we make a comment that doesnt sound like something you may like, that we all go off and abuse eachother for it.? Thats what makes this forum different than the rest... no morons!? See if you get any reliable, and good information from them.? Then come back here and see the quality of content and its members.? I can curse and abuse as much as you can, I choose not to, as does everyone else.
[snapback]141930[/snapback]
NES, (to put it nicely) I don't think you quite realize the issue at hand. We realize that if you had the A/C on auto before you turned the car off that it should come back to Auto as you left it...BUT that is NOT what we are talking about....we think that its absolutely ridiculous that if we do not want A/C at all (no matter when) then it should not come on at all (never). If I leave the fan on low and then next morning come back into my car, the fan starts in the same position (which is fine), if I leave my A/C off, the next morning I come back and the fan is on at a random position. I think at this point the car is not smart enough to remember that you left the A/C off. This was the same exact situation with the radio ON/OFF.

If you feel that this is a board with mature members and a very informative board at that, then let people express their issues and not say statements like "DEAL WITH IT"...because we all are not dealing with Hondas, Hyundai's, Kia's or any other low end cars, we are BMW enthusiasts and need things perfect in our $50K-$65K cars.

I guarantee you that this is a bug and sooner or later it will be fixed in one of the newer versions of the software. This issue is not as big as it seems, but like everyone has expressed here, its ANNOYING! <_<
Old 06-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

LoL.. oh yea baby. This forum thing gets me rowled up! YEA! I live for this stuff.

Sorry for the hijacking. Back to the A/C annoyance. Thanks.

Originally Posted by NES' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:22 AM
[quote name='tomwid' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:19 AM']???? This supposed to mean something?? I'm the type that will call you out in person too.
Again, the internet brings it out in you. I guess you cant help it, can you?
[snapback]141943[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-22-2005, 07:24 AM
NES
Members

AC vents, remember? The topic... AC??

Question... does the blast of air come on regardless of "AUTO" being pressed or no?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:28 AM
NES
Members

See but thats what I guess im not understanding here. WHen I leave my AUTO with AC on, when I later turn my car back on, it comes on again as is. When AUTO is on without AC, it does not turn my AC on automatically. Now I just got my 2006 530xi, so I dont know if this is necessarily an issue prior to my build, but thats not the case with mine. Nor is it with my 2004 X5. If AC isnt on, AC wont come on. the fan will regardless, but only in the position I last had it.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by NES' date='Jun 22 2005, 09:28 AM
See but thats what I guess im not understanding here.? WHen I leave my AUTO with AC on, when I later turn my car back on, it comes on again as is.? When AUTO is on without AC, it does not turn my AC on automatically.? Now I just got my 2006 530xi, so I dont know if this is necessarily an issue prior to my build, but thats not the case with mine.? Nor is it with my 2004 X5.? If AC isnt on, AC wont come on.? the fan will regardless, but only in the position I last had it.
[snapback]141951[/snapback]
I thought we were very clear. It is a problem in NOT doing what we asked. That idea has been repeated over and over yet u run right through that. One more time for u. We put in AC system in OFF, turn off ignition, remove key, exit car, return after sleep mode (varies form car to car, etc) put key in ignition and turn to position 2, full AUTO AC starts. Was that the way we left it - NO. So the fact that yours works the way we want ours to work should be enough said. Thanks for letting us know that there is hope for our condition.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jun 21 2005, 12:31 PM
I thought this had something to do with the memory setting of my key, but I guess not from what I'm reading.? I'll play with it a little tonight to see if I can change it/trick it.? But, if so, then yes, it should not blow.? Is this strictly due to the outside temp.? I assume that in the winter, the A/C does not do this.? Or, is it the opposite and the heat is automatic in the winter?
[snapback]141618[/snapback]
Tried different keys and that was not my issue. Consistent between keys. In dead of winter (or what passes for winter here in sunny Florida) this is when it is the most annoying. I am always setting to OFF and AC still comes on full blast when starting car after it has gone into sleep mode (10-15 minutes - depends). There are many, many days a year I do not need any climate control at all. So this does become an annoyance for some of us. But not a killer deal. I just would like it to retain the last setting, whatever that is. I believe NES says his does that so perhaps '06 models are doing this OK. Let's hope so.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 AM
NES
Members

This is what I was trying to determine. I tried everything you guys had said, and didnt get the same result. The reason I asked repeatedly was because I wanted to verify for you guys that the issue you have been having is indeed repaired, or at least I would guess so being that my car doesnt have that. My cars production was completed on 5/30/2005.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by NES' date='Jun 22 2005, 12:02 PM
My cars production was completed on 5/30/2005.
[snapback]141961[/snapback]
Woops, meant 5/20/2005... but im sure that doesnt make much of a difference.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 21 2005, 08:37 PM
LoL yea, makes me wonder about the engineers at BMW.? Maybe they're having fun with us...?

Cobradav, you think I should complain to my dealer also?? Do you think that would help the PUMA case?

[quote name='saurabh' date='Jun 21 2005, 04:25 PM']I think the E60's are equipped with 10 minute memory cells, similar to a gold fish, wait gold fish only have a 3 second memory, oh good...atleast i get 9 min. and 57 sec. out of my $60K car?
[snapback]141656[/snapback]
[snapback]141768[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, I think you and others that do not like this always on AC issue should complain. To me it is just like the Audio Mute/Off we had to endure prior to CIP 16.xx. That got fixed as should this. Not all dealers will put in PuMA. Some will sluff it off as "that's the way it is" Don't be nasty but suggest you would like a formal response from BMW and not just the dealers (non) expert opinion. We know they don't know, don't we

I think my dander is up
Old 06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

I have an "old" e60, manufactured 09/2003. I have never experienced this problem, my a/c does not come on by itself. I have been pretty lucky with the computer gremlins. Can we all just get along?

Quick Reply: Annoying AC Vents