E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eyes --> Software problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all,

I have a little problem with angel eyes (halo). First off, I have 2004 525i with HALOGEN headlights. I am not sure of all the software upgrades, but my car just had 30,000 mile vehicle service.

- When I put the headlight to "auto" (one click counterclockwise) mode, my daytime running lights are on (if during the day) or low beam is on (if it's dark)
- When I put the headlight to "parking light" (one click clockwise) mode, daytime running lights on

However, my angel eyes (halos) are very faint and can't even see it when low beams are on. At first I thought they were not working, but upon looking up from the bottom into the headlight case, I can see that angel eye bulbs are on. I then changed the bulbs (from pinguhk) to see if it would make any difference, but same.... faint/non-visible angel eyes.

I didn't realize this before and I am not sure if faint/non-visible halos are the way it is for 2004 e60. Is there something wrong with my car? Perhaps software problem? Not enough power to the angel eye bulbs as bulbs are turned on...?

Help.

Following is pinguhk's car (also 2004 525i with halogen) with same angel eye bulbs... I assume he has parking lights on (no daytime running lights as he's in hong kong). My car with parking light would have daytime running lights on and angel eyes that are very faint/not-visible despite that the bulbs for angel eyes are on.

Angel Eyes --> Software problem?-post_7188_1201510069.jpg

PS: Is it possible to ask BMW to turn off the daytime running light so that my car looks like pinguhk's care with parking light on?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Hey there....have you made sure that your bulbs are placed in the sockets correctly?
Did you hear the clicks when you rotated them in?
Usually, if they are even a little off the correct plane, your AEs will not illuminate correctly.....
Old 02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Members

DOH!

So I figured it out. When I have my car running (ignition on) and the "parking light" is on, the daytime running lights are on resulting in overpowering of the angel eyes. When I turn the car off (ignition off) and the "parking light" is on, the daytime running lights are off. Now I have bright white angels eyes with brows.... looking mean like pinguhk's car above.

I guess angel eyes for 2004 halogen e60 are just not that bright even with brighter angel eye bulbs. Another, albeit minor, reason to upgrade to 2008 e60 or even to M5 with xenon.

I just need to figure out a way to turn off the daytime running light. Does anyone know if BMW dealer is able to turn off the daytime running lights? If so, how much would they ask for the job?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I used to have the daytime running lights. But after getting the ipod adapter with sw upgrade to the idrive, the daytime running lights feature got turn-off (which I didn't care). So, there is a way to turn off these lights by dealer.

Anyway, I also got the bulbs from pingu but I'm still struggling with pulling out the stock bulbs. It seems like there is no good grip to pull the bulb out. How did you do yours? Can you share some experience? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by apocalypsem3' post='536907' date='Feb 28 2008, 07:29 AM
DOH!

So I figured it out. When I have my car running (ignition on) and the "parking light" is on, the daytime running lights are on resulting in overpowering of the angel eyes. When I turn the car off (ignition off) and the "parking light" is on, the daytime running lights are off. Now I have bright white angels eyes with brows.... looking mean like pinguhk's car above.

I guess angel eyes for 2004 halogen e60 are just not that bright even with brighter angel eye bulbs. Another, albeit minor, reason to upgrade to 2008 e60 or even to M5 with xenon.

I just need to figure out a way to turn off the daytime running light. Does anyone know if BMW dealer is able to turn off the daytime running lights? If so, how much would they ask for the job?
sound like you need a 2008 car with xenon lights

any pics after you install the bulbs?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Members

lol... you guys are evil. You are suppose to help me handle my urge to get a new car.

pinguhk, bulbs look great. Bright and white (even though only at night with car off for now). I will put some pictures up after I am semi-done with the mods (doing front bumper, wheels for now)

theXman, which bulbs are you talking about? Are you trying to change out angel eyes bulbs or headlight bulbs? For angel eye bulbs, you can just pull them off with little effort (with bare hands... since I am not going to use the old bulbs anymore). Then, I just used some cloth over the new bulbs to prevent directly touching it when pushing in the new bulbs. I don't think the angel eye bulbs get to as high temperature as headlight bulbs. I haven't read an official "warning" about not touching the bulbs... as far as I know you shouldn't touch the headlight bulbs. PM me if you need help.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i msport

hi guys
i have an issue with my 2004 545i unvisisible angel eyes is there a solution as i cannot see them on at all.