E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eyes Not Working

Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 AM
CXJ
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E600
Default Angel Eyes Not Working

Hello Everyone

I recently brought a 2006 530i sport with the SMG transmission and shift paddles. When I brought it I knew it needed a few things fixed on it like rotors and what nots.

The issue I am having now is with the angel eyes. I replaced them with brand new led types but they will not light up. I still am getting the error message for left&right parking lamps out. I tried researching for days but can not come up with a solution. Are the AE's on a fuse that I have not figured out yet?

Any help will be most welcomed

Thanks

Cory
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 AM
New Members

1) There is no SMG transmission in the normal E60 range as far as I was aware. You have a normal torque converter auto.

The LED draws to small a current to work and therefore iDrive assumes the bulbs are out. You will need a resistor pack to get them to work properly and even then the iDrive error might show. You will then need to code the car to ignore the warnings.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:35 PM
CXJ
New Members

Originally Posted by w00t100
1) There is no SMG transmission in the normal E60 range as far as I was aware. You have a normal torque converter auto.

The LED draws to small a current to work and therefore iDrive assumes the bulbs are out. You will need a resistor pack to get them to work properly and even then the iDrive error might show. You will then need to code the car to ignore the warnings.

Name:  image-3.jpg
Views: 4971
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5023
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  image-1.jpg
Views: 4750
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 5018
Size:  108.4 KB

I have sport seats , paddles , and a SMG Knob over the auto trans. I really think its a sport lol

The angel eyes I installed were the M-Tech ones with built in resistors. I didnt think they had to be coded for the car
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM
New Members

Wow, cool perhaps US NA market only as nothing like this in Europe.

Still, the point about the LEDs still stands, although they should be at least working you will have to code out the error

Also, get yourself over to Royal Steering Wheels, or the US NA equivalent
Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 PM
CXJ
New Members

Thanks

Everyone keeps telling me that they have never seen a regular e60 with a M sport package like this. I am having a hard time trying to find a SMG badge or knob to replace the worn one I have now.

The car is standard first but I can put it in auto mode. Its lots of fun driving but there are a few little issues like this that I need to clear up. I looked around and found a coder called NCS Expert. Is that what I need to fix the angel eye problem?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 AM
New Members

Yep. Thats what you need.

I would be inclined to put your VIN through one of the online BMW VIN decoders to give you the full details about the car. Also, RealOEM is your friend. Last 7 digits of your VIN in there and you will be able to see the part number for the SMG box.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: E 60 530i adaptive steering, xenon headights

Hi, I had a similar issue a while back on my E46 and was able to source a new inverter (small rectangular black box) for the angel eyes from evil bay for about $15. I ended up getting two cause they seem to be a bit of an issue in the E46. It certainly fixed my problem, hope it helps with yours.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 PM
CXJ
New Members

Sorry to bring this back up but I cant seem to find the time to bring the car into the bmw service department nor do I for a light bulb issue. I have pulled engines from cars so please feel my pain on this one.

I have spoken to just about everyone who owns some model of a bmw and its a strange issue to them as to why my angel eyes are not coming on. I have also searched different forums and its no mentioning of angel eyes not coming on. From what I can tell and have read there seems to be no fuse that would have blown to cause them not to work as well so I am really stumped on this.

Has this issue happened to anyone here before?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Your angel eyes are not coming on in all light switch positions?

Do you have a working stock one? What happens when you put that one back in?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by CXJ

Has this issue happened to anyone here before?
Yes. Mine turned out to be degrading wiring inside of the headlight housing. I lost both AEs. I discovered my wiring problem when I went to replace my AEs with LED bulbs. I ended up buying new headlight housings. That may or may not be your issue, but I did experience failed AEs due to reasons other than blown out bulbs.

Good luck with your car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Angel Eyes Not Working