E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel eyes or DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here, hoping to buy a used 2007 LCI E60 next year (in UK).

I'd like to get the angel eyes look right, and despite having read all the posts (honest!) on this seemingly bottomless topic, I am still unsure, so here goes...

By DRLs I mean the new really bright rings, with the inner one seemingly blazing, and common on many 3 series (
By angel eyes, I mean the traditional less bright rings my facelift E39 has, and, I believe, xenon fitted pre LCI E60s.

So,
1. If I bought an LCI E60 with DRLs, do the traditional angel eyes which I have described above, still come as an option, or have they been entirely replaced by DRLs? And, if they still exist, can you have them on alone, or do they only come on with dipped beams or when the car is parked.

2. Or, if I bought a car without DRLs (presumably fitted with halogens only?) would I get the angel eyes as described above? I have read that these angel eyes are brighter than pre LCI models - is this true?

Basically, I like DRLs but also like the subtler old fashioned angel eyes and would like to be able to switch between the two when the mood took me, (without dipped headlights on to spoil the look.)
Perhaps it could all be boiled down to, to get the traditional angel eyes look, should I get a DRL equipped car or not?
Jules
Old 08-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Members

the E60 has angel eyes and day time running lights
Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

with LCI's the AE's are the DRL's....
Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jules' post='657790' date='Aug 30 2008, 01:12 PM
Newbie here, hoping to buy a used 2007 LCI E60 next year (in UK).

I'd like to get the angel eyes look right, and despite having read all the posts (honest!) on this seemingly bottomless topic, I am still unsure, so here goes...

By DRLs I mean the new really bright rings, with the inner one seemingly blazing, and common on many 3 series (
By angel eyes, I mean the traditional less bright rings my facelift E39 has, and, I believe, xenon fitted pre LCI E60s.

So,
1. If I bought an LCI E60 with DRLs, do the traditional angel eyes which I have described above, still come as an option, or have they been entirely replaced by DRLs? And, if they still exist, can you have them on alone, or do they only come on with dipped beams or when the car is parked.

2. Or, if I bought a car without DRLs (presumably fitted with halogens only?) would I get the angel eyes as described above? I have read that these angel eyes are brighter than pre LCI models - is this true?

Basically, I like DRLs but also like the subtler old fashioned angel eyes and would like to be able to switch between the two when the mood took me, (without dipped headlights on to spoil the look.)
Perhaps it could all be boiled down to, to get the traditional angel eyes look, should I get a DRL equipped car or not?
Jules
DRL means Daytime Running Lights. This means that the lights are automatically on at all times.

The Angel Eyes are the rings around the main lights. All E60's have DRL (switchable in iDrive) and AE's.

The difference is Xenon or normal Halogen lights. (Xenon's are an option) And yes, the LCI AE's are brighter than the pre-LCI's.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='657872' date='Aug 30 2008, 12:10 PM
DRL means Daytime Running Lights. This means that the lights are automatically on at all times.

The Angel Eyes are the rings around the main lights. All E60's have DRL (switchable in iDrive) and AE's.

The difference is Xenon or normal Halogen lights. (Xenon's are an option) And yes, the LCI AE's are brighter than the pre-LCI's.
So does this mean all LCI E60s have the same DRLs and AEs whether you have xenons or halogens?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jules' post='657933' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:57 PM
So does this mean all LCI E60s have the same DRLs and AEs whether you have xenons or halogens?
Ah, right a very specific question. AFAIK the AE is the same for Xenons/Halogens and were updated with a brighter (6400K?) arrangement than the pre-LCI's. Someone else can probably chip-in to confirm...

Now when the DRLs are enabled in iDrive I'm not sure which lights are illuminated. In my pre-LCI it wasn't the AE's but I believe it now is. Whether that varies between the Xenon's and Halogens I'm not sure...

Personally, I'd always go with the Xenon's...
Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='658305' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:13 AM
Ah, right a very specific question. AFAIK the AE is the same for Xenons/Halogens and were updated with a brighter (6400K?) arrangement than the pre-LCI's. Someone else can probably chip-in to confirm...

Now when the DRLs are enabled in iDrive I'm not sure which lights are illuminated. In my pre-LCI it wasn't the AE's but I believe it now is. Whether that varies between the Xenon's and Halogens I'm not sure...

Personally, I'd always go with the Xenon's...
Thanks for the info!