E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eye Copy Cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The e60 has served as a template for so many cars out there. The lights, in particular, were so damn unique for 2003 it was like looking at a pissed off animal at night. In general, I have always been a fan of BMW's angel eyes. I also happen to think that the e60 headlights were the best designed headlights in the industry when they first rolled out, and I can't think of another car that has topped them in 6 years of new designs and improved technology.

So, it makes me furious when Honda's and other POSs have aftermarket halos.
Making matters worse, other manufacturers were soon to follow, and today, almost all car companies seem to have made an effort to spruce up their headlight. I may be biased, but I am positive the e60's lights were used as a reference for Audi's LED eyebrow. The Saab 9-3's attempt at a brow was half a$$ed, but disturbing none the least.

It now appears that other manufacturers are straight up copying the angel eye! The 2010 Camaro really pissed me off. Now, it looks like the new Range Rover Sport will blatantly rip off BMW as well. Then I saw the 2011 jeep Cherokee... Although I think and pray that it is the lighting or a flash, could you imagine Cherokee's in your rear view with the special ring treatment?
I'll try and post some pictures...bare with me. Just makes me so mad!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. None of those POS's can compare to BMW -- fake AE's or not.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

They look pretty cool to me, especially the Camaro.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi angel eyes upgrade, 5% tints...more to come

Saw a 99 acura integra with aftermarket angel eyes tonight.... not sure why that upsets me... it just does lol The new gto's have em too. That camaro does look pretty sweet though.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I just saw a honda civic with angel eyes tonight at the mall, made me wanna puke.lol
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Contributors

i used to drive a 99 maxima. a lot of the maxima guys would put AEs on their car. i dont mind it, everyone knows where those lights came from. and when you pass the guy in the civic with AEs you know he really would rather be driving your car
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

yup. i hate them. see em on mustangs, scion tc's, camaros, lexus IS, Civics, accords, camrys...the list goes on and on. I see it everyday!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Contributors

I don't see why it gets you so mad. Chillax Bro. If anyone should be mad it's BMW, and it's their lawyers that should be salivating at the concept of taking the copycats to court. It's a very clear and specific design.

Personally I couldn't care less. It amuses me when I see private individuals wanting to copy such unique and specific identifying items from one car and put them on another. I know before I got this car and I was in the Audi forums, there was a great respect given to the Angel Eyes - even from those that hated BMWs, they still liked the AEs. Some would talk about their plans to install them and I'd tell them to not be so stupid, but they'd do it anyway. I saw a Mercedes yesterday that had the low-down strip of LEDs on each side where the fog lights are. Clearly some people are even copying things from "lesser" (Audi) cars.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='841483' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:57 AM
If anyone should be mad it's BMW, and it's their lawyers that should be salivating at the concept of taking the copycats to court. It's a very clear and specific design.
+1

Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery, but I do find myself cringing a little when I see angel eyes on 10 year-old VW Golfs (which I see pretty often in this neck of the woods). The e60 light cluster with angel eyes and eyebrow is still unbeatable though. I remember seeing a BMW print ad with an owl's eye on one half of the page and one e60 cluster on the other half - no one else has got close, so the uniqueness has, to my mind not been stolen from by all the copycats. That said, that Range Rover looks great with those lights.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='841483' date='Apr 9 2009, 01:57 AM
I don't see why it gets you so mad. Chillax Bro. If anyone should be mad it's BMW, and it's their lawyers that should be salivating at the concept of taking the copycats to court. It's a very clear and specific design.

Personally I couldn't care less. It amuses me when I see private individuals wanting to copy such unique and specific identifying items from one car and put them on another. I know before I got this car and I was in the Audi forums, there was a great respect given to the Angel Eyes - even from those that hated BMWs, they still liked the AEs. Some would talk about their plans to install them and I'd tell them to not be so stupid, but they'd do it anyway. I saw a Mercedes yesterday that had the low-down strip of LEDs on each side where the fog lights are. Clearly some people are even copying things from "lesser" (Audi) cars.
You're right. Even if BMW has not patented the Angel Eyes, I think it may have a trade mark/trade dress infringement case against the copycats and if I were advising BMW, I'd certainly tell that it should allow research to be done on the potential viability of such a lawsuit. The AEs are -- or, unfortunately were -- a signature BMW feature, just as the jewel-line analog clock is a signature Infiniti feature.

Quick Reply: Angel Eye Copy Cats