E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Amp install, which remote turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I began working on a sub install last night and ran into trouble with the remote turn on. Power goes to the battery. Ground is good. I tapped into the wires under the factory amp for remote and to pull the lines for RCA's.

My instructions point to a white/violet wire as the remote on wire. When tapping into that my amplifier turns on when the key is not in the car. Key on/off leaves the amp on, it's not triggering power like a remote wire should do. Obviously when I disconnect that wire the amp goes off. Is there a different wire that is supposed to be tapped for remote on? Could I have done something wrong? Does everything stay on for a period of time after pulling the key (door open, etc)? The stereo shuts off, so not sure why the amp would stay on but I didn't give it any real length of time.

Thoughts? Anywhere else that I can tap into for power when the car turns on? TIA.

Andy
Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aharper
I began working on a sub install last night and ran into trouble with the remote turn on. Power goes to the battery. Ground is good. I tapped into the wires under the factory amp for remote and to pull the lines for RCA's.

My instructions point to a white/violet wire as the remote on wire. When tapping into that my amplifier turns on when the key is not in the car. Key on/off leaves the amp on, it's not triggering power like a remote wire should do. Obviously when I disconnect that wire the amp goes off. Is there a different wire that is supposed to be tapped for remote on? Could I have done something wrong? Does everything stay on for a period of time after pulling the key (door open, etc)? The stereo shuts off, so not sure why the amp would stay on but I didn't give it any real length of time.

Thoughts? Anywhere else that I can tap into for power when the car turns on? TIA.

Andy
Meant to mention... amp is JL 500/1. It doesn't have an auto power on type deal or anything that I'm aware of. I've read some posts here about amps that do that and this does not, it uses a remote on wire.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

it is always hot until the car goes into standby mode
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Members

How long does it take until the car goes into standby mode?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Members

not sure,5-10 mins or so.... i put a meter on my amp enable wire, took out the key, closed the trunk on the leads and walked away for a while, when i came back it read 0 volts when it was at 12ish before.

i was also confused about it at first too....
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Members

I read that cigarette liter power is the best!

Mate I really wanna do sub/amp install in mine but I have no idea how to get the RCA signal from? Any chance you could help me out? What instructions are you following?!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Members

probably will get flamed by all the experts here...... but i think the signal that is going to the sub amp on the north american 10 speaker system is already at rca level.....5 volts. i took the leads and put them on my o-scope, put in a pink noise cd and cranked it all the way up, looked at the signal and it was about 5 volts peak to peak, not what i'd expect from a speaker level signal.

i even bought a line converter and never used it.

i machined copper pins to fit into the stock connector hence making my own adapter socket which interfaces a new amp with the stock system without cutting any wires.
Attached Thumbnails Amp install, which remote turn on?-amp_installed.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Members

Ah bloody hell! That all looks FAR too complicated to me!

Is there no harness that you can buy that will do the job?!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Members

you could go medieval on the stock amp with a hacksaw and a soldering iron and use the harness from it.....or buy a used one ebay and do the same......or cut the wires
Attached Thumbnails Amp install, which remote turn on?-factroy-amp.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 04' E46 325i Sold 05' E60 53oi Sold (tranny issues) 08' E92 328i coupe 6spd MT (Current ride)

just tap into the purple wire it takes about 5 min then it will turn off.. when i added my subs i tapped into that wire and yes when ever u wake ur car the amp will turn on even if the radio isnt.. dont worry nothing will happen.. btw here is the link to were i got my info DIY from..

look at post #13.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=338776
and this one has good pictures for refrence.. https://5series.net/forums/topic/116...market-subamp/

i didnt use a LOC i just used the supplyed wires from the amp to tap into the factory amp.. GL!

Quick Reply: Amp install, which remote turn on?