E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ambient Temperature Sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys im trying to replace the temperature sensor myself and having trouble locating where it sits. part number 65816905133

let me know
thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Did you check Real OEM yet? Good place to look.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Down low in the front bumper as I recall...
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

It is gonna be in the grill below the front bumper...depending on the year of your car. Mine is your car, the exact location will vary. I have a '08 535i, and mine is located behind the of the front bumper...on the passenger side. It will be a black plastic probe looking thing, about 2" long, about half the diameter of a pencil, and it will have a small plug connecting to the rear it. You can get to it from below by removing some of the "covers/panels" on the bottom of the front bumper...kind of a PITA really.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Allen
It is gonna be in the grill below the front bumper...depending on the year of your car. Mine is your car, the exact location will vary. I have a '08 535i, and mine is located behind the of the front bumper...on the passenger side. It will be a black plastic probe looking thing, about 2" long, about half the diameter of a pencil, and it will have a small plug connecting to the rear it. You can get to it from below by removing some of the "covers/panels" on the bottom of the front bumper...kind of a PITA really.

ok cool, im going to check.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Allen
Thanks for your decription, but I can't find it at my E60 LCI.. Maybe someone has a picture of the exact location for me?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a link to a thread that shows where it is on an LCI 550i sport package:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/587...erature-guage/

At one time, the thread had a picture of where the sensor is located on a non-sport (possibly non-LCI) car but the image isn't available any more (which is why I never recommend posting links to external images...)

Here's a small picture of what the sensor itself looks like. They're really easy to spot on any model E60 once you know what you're looking for. Usually, the sensor is mounted vertically with the tip pointing up.

Ambient Temperature Sensor location-temp-sensor.jpg
Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
Here's a link to a thread that shows where it is on an LCI 550i sport package:
http://forums.5serie...perature-guage/

At one time, the thread had a picture of where the sensor is located on a non-sport (possibly non-LCI) car but the image isn't available any more (which is why I never recommend posting links to external images...)

Here's a small picture of what the sensor itself looks like. They're really easy to spot on any model E60 once you know what you're looking for. Usually, the sensor is mounted vertically with the tip pointing up.

Attachment 108905
Thanks Rudy, I'll have a look tonight to see if I can find the sensor!

But it's still a bit confusing to me.. I've finally found the TIS document (65 81 060) which descibes the replacement of the sensor, please find it below:

Ambient Temperature Sensor location-sensor.png

It doesn't looks like the same location of your LCI 550i sport package picture. As far as I can see the sensor is placed horizontally?

Do you?ve any ideas?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jeroentjuhh
Thanks Rudy, I'll have a look tonight to see if I can find the sensor!

But it's still a bit confusing to me.. I've finally found the TIS document (65 81 060) which descibes the replacement of the sensor, please find it below:

Attachment 108906

It doesn't looks like the same location of your LCI 550i sport package picture. As far as I can see the sensor is placed horizontally?

Do you?ve any ideas?
Well it looks as if the LCI (non M-sport) does have the sensor installed horizontally. The pre-LCI cars had it installed more like the LCI M-sport cars and I assumed they were all similar. Either way, the instructions say to remove the front bumper trim so I'd say that the sensor won't be hard to find on any car as long as you look in the lower part of the bumper...
Old 10-16-2011, 05:06 AM
mc5
Members

My Ride: 535xi M3 vert

Does anyone have a pic of this exact location on a 535 msport bumper?

Quick Reply: Ambient Temperature Sensor location