E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

already nickel and diming me

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much for a BMW pre-buy inspection. I took the car to Classic BMW before buying it for a pre-buy inspection. They somehow missed that all 4 rims were bent. Discount Tire said 3 of them were beyond repair, so I bought new. I also had an alert on my idrive about brake fluid being low when I first got the car. I added some fluid and all seemed ok. While the car was in for an alignment the alert came back on at the dealership who found the ends of the brake lines to be stretched and not holding in place. They are replacing the lines and clamps. Classic told me that there was a "minor oil leak" that would be a problem for another 20,000 miles or so, "not to worry about but there is moisture" was something along what i heard. I did some searches online and the lower pan does seem like it's a problem and doesn't look too pricey, but now the Indianapolis BMW Dealer is saying that it's pretty significant. I've put nearly $3,000 into this car and have owned it just over a month!!! Much more and I'm going to have to sell it and cut my losses, as much as I like this car it seems crazy to have this much going on with a car.

Oh, and when I talk with classic BMW I get the blow off completely. Nevermind missing $3k in immediate repairs required. I'm more pissed at them because these items seem obvious and the inspection cost $300 up front.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Members

Just got a note from the dealer that reads...

IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE STEERING RACK TO REMEDY THIS ISSUE. (THERE WA A FAULT STORED FOR ACTIVE STEERING MOTOR CALIBRATION WHEN VEHICLE ARRIVED. PERFORMED ACTIVE STEERING STARTUP PROCEDURE 3 TIMES AND STEERING WHEEL IS STILL OFF TO THE LEFT. CHECKED ALIGNMENT AND ALL ANGLES WERE IN SPEC EXCEPT FRONT TOE. PERFORMED A)

Cost to repair = $5,574.63.

How is it possible that Classic BMW missed stored faults??? OMG, so frustrated!!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Wow. Man, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. It's problems like these that had me so skeptical about purchasing a BMW. I've only owned mine for almost 2 months now with no problems... But, I am always nervous for something costly to F* up.

Maybe try to get a second opinion at another reputable shop. I hope the best for you man. Try not to get overwhelmed, and loose your cool too man. Good Luck
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

After parting with $300 for the inspection I would have expected a check list for the work carried out.If you have one ,see if any of the problems are listed as OK and if so push it under their noses for some recompense at least.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences, man!

FWIW, even new cars have problems. I would get another inspection and/or full diagnostic test before I spend any more money, modding or do anything else other than keeping the car reliable as basic means of transportation. As for the alignment problem, if it is not that noticeable, I would not get it fixed in such a hurry. I am sure you did not notice the alignment problem until the diagnostic test. If that's the case, don't sweat too much over making a used car perfect, yet! Look around, do some research and I am sure you can eventually get it fixed much cheaper!

In the meanwhile, check the inside of the tires more often to see if the problem is as bad as the Stealership might have exaggerated.

Good luck to you!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Members

I've cooled off some but am still frustrated that this wasn't picked up on the inspection. They gave me no papers for the inspection. I bought the car from Lone Star Auto in Plano who took the car to Classic BMW at my request for the inspection before I flew to Texas to pick it up.

The alignment was an effort to try to compensate for some pulsation I had after putting new rims/tires on the car. I have a hunch that my vibration problem is the Hankook tires that I have so I have new Michelin's waiting for me at Discount Tire (I'll have them put on tonight).

If the steering problem doesn't feel funky then I'll live with it. I'll take the skid plate off the bottom of the engine and clean everything off to see if I can see what's causing the trouble there, hopefully nothing significant. Figure it can't be too bad cuz I don't see it on my garage floor at night. If it's not dripping that bad then the cost of additional oil should go a good distance.

Time will tell. I'm escalating with Classic to get my $300 inspection fee back to cover part of my expense.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Members

Seems to me that this is more than a $300 screw up by Classic BMW. Perhaps you should consider calling a lawyer to see if he/she can help you convince the dealer that sold you the car to GLADLY buy it back.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

$300+$3000+$5,574
Those dont look like nickels and dimes
Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Alpine White Options: Nav, Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Black Dakota Leather, Folding Rear Seat Mods: Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Dinan High Flow Intake System, Dinan High Flow Throttle Body, Carbon Fiber Front Strut Tower Brace, HID 8000k Fogs, LED Super White Side Markers Coming Soon: HID 8000k Angel Eyes and Lowbeams

Ouch. Bummer experience. Curious: what year & model is your car?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Buy
More
Warranty

Quick Reply: already nickel and diming me