E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Almost out of fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Originally Posted by timewa' post='468877' date='Sep 13 2007, 12:12 AM
Today I drove back from Luxembourg to my home town Enschede. I was almost out of fuel, with my computer telling me only 25km remaining... on an empty autobahn with no fuel stations nearby.

I decided to navigate to the nearest fuel station and found one eventually in a small town with only 10km remaining. The fuel meter was virtually at 0, I was just in time! I put 66 liter diesel in the tank.

I wonder: Is there still a reserve beyond the "0 km remaining" display? Or is it really over and out when the needle hits 0? Who has experienced a real empty tank? I believe the tank should be 70 liter, does this mean that there is a 4 liter reserve?
Hey.. good question you posted. I was driving this Xmas from Prague to Barcelona and deciding to skip a few fuel stations on a lonely highway in France went down to about 40Km remaining.. looked not very optimistic until I've come to a station that was some 20Km from the 40Km reserve few minutes ago - remember it was during Xmas so the temperature was around +3 Celsius, but in the place of the fuel station almost freezing because of a hilly terrain. The computer was showing some 25Km fuel left but after I slowed down from 150Km/h to 20Km/h closing to the station via series of roundabouts my 3.0 170kW diesel started choking and refused to start.. just perfectly stopped at the fueling bar..
My only explanation is the temperature drop. It took 5 test starts after refilling the car until it went on again. Pretty scary being stuck in the middle of France during 24th December
So the answer is - NO there is no reserve, be careful!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by hondik' post='469915' date='Sep 16 2007, 06:57 AM
Hey.. good question you posted. I was driving this Xmas from Prague to Barcelona and deciding to skip a few fuel stations on a lonely highway in France went down to about 40Km remaining.. looked not very optimistic until I've come to a station that was some 20Km from the 40Km reserve few minutes ago - remember it was during Xmas so the temperature was around +3 Celsius, but in the place of the fuel station almost freezing because of a hilly terrain. The computer was showing some 25Km fuel left but after I slowed down from 150Km/h to 20Km/h closing to the station via series of roundabouts my 3.0 170kW diesel started choking and refused to start.. just perfectly stopped at the fueling bar..
My only explanation is the temperature drop. It took 5 test starts after refilling the car until it went on again. Pretty scary being stuck in the middle of France during 24th December
You might have experienced a bit of foam on the diesel remaining in the tank. As opposed to petrol, does diesel foam. It will put off the sensors and register too high a level remaining.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xi 2006 with nav and premium package

My car was showing 0 on display by the time i reach at gas station. After filling up gas, everything was smooth until evening and when i started again to go out, it was accelerating more than normal. Even when I'm trying to stop on signals it keep accelerating. Is it something I can revert it normal?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='468902' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:29 PM
Keep in mind that the countdown reading might jump from a single digit number like 5 or 6 straight to zero without showing 4, 3, 2, or 1 since it's calculated based on MPG which can fluctuate.
I see this often, when I stop at on an incline. But I never have figured if I lose or gain fuel when stopped on (or traveling) uphill or down.

sixcard
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by hondik' post='469915' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:57 PM
Driving a diesel (no matter what car) to empty is extremely dangerous for the car.
Condensation and gunk from the fuel tank floats on top of the diesel.
When emptying the tank, the fuel system in the car gets flooded with water and junk (which the fuel filter doesn't always remove!).
This gets into the fuel lines, fuel pump AND into the injectors/engine!

Restarting the car a few times after refilling flushes the system, but there will always be a little bit of water/junk remaining in the system.

So, i have no idea about the reserve, my record on a fill-up is 65 liters, which means there's about 5 liters left in the tank.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='995416' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:56 PM
I see this often, when I stop at on an incline. But I never have figured if I lose or gain fuel when stopped on (or traveling) uphill or down.

sixcard
haha that's funny, reminds me of back in my teens in my 89 535i we used to almost play a game with the flucuation of the mls left reading, some cars we passed gave us fuel, others took it! That thing could jump either direction 50+ miles in an instant

I will say the e60 is a whole lot better at sustaining a reading then was the case of the 5ers back then
Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

By the time I reached a fuel station, the computer reports 14 miles remaining, the 18.5 gal fuel tank took in 18.1 gal of fuel. I'd say my fuel gauge is pretty accurate. 0.4 gal / 1.5 L for 14 miles / 22.5 km.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

you can still drive at 0, maybe up to roughly 30 miles
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 545 sport package , cold weather, pdc , logic7 , navi , comfort seats

I never experienced this situation , but I belived for you guys that drive small engine or diesel would be safe to say after the dash warning display saying 0mpg or 0km would be alright to drive a couple more distance until refilling, but how about us that drive v8 or a moster v10 m5 , would you take a chance?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Originally Posted by mrwsp1980' post='996378' date='Sep 2 2009, 11:27 PM
I never experienced this situation , but I belived for you guys that drive small engine or diesel would be safe to say after the dash warning display saying 0mpg or 0km would be alright to drive a couple more distance until refilling, but how about us that drive v8 or a moster v10 m5 , would you take a chance?
New to the forum so be gentle! I normally go for about 10-20 miles past the "---" (0 miles) before filling up my 520d and get about 69L in the tank. I did manage to get a 3-series 320d to go into "limp-home" mode once as I had so little fuel in. Company cars...
Oh, and I never re-fill until I have got more than 600 miles out of a tank!