E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Almost got an accident twice w/ CIP 13.2 and 15.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having my car upgrade to CIP 13.2, I've notice significant shifting characteristics changed in D mode. Earlier up shifts, delayed downshifts when accelerating.
While I was driving at 65 mph and slowed down to 30 mph because of congested traffic ahead, one guy cut in front of me and applied the brake. I had to swerved to the left to avoid him so I depressed the gas pedal to accelerate to the left, but the car hesitated to downshift and I had to floor the gas pedal to speed up to avoid rear-ended by the car behind. I was horned because the car behind almost rear-ended me.

After got updated to CIP 15.2 last week, there was another incident. When I was driving at 50 mph and approaching a disable car without emergency lights on, I then slow down to 35 mph, and I needed to change to left lane. Again, when I accelerate, car still did not downshift and the tach indicated the RPM at 1700rpm or so. It did not shoot up to 2000+ rpm like it supposed to. Almost an accident and got horned again.

This problem still exists although my dealer claimed that the has installed CIP 15.2.

This slow transmission respond can be reproduced as follows:

1. Accelerate past 45 mph and ease throttle a bit, you'll see transmission upshifts - RPM drop - and you feel like car is under heavy load.
2. Slow down to 30-35 mph, ease the throttle until you see the RPM drop (early upshifts)
3. depress on gas pedal quickly to start accelerate
4. Step on brake, depress on gas pedal quickly, and you'll notice that it hesitate to zoom up RPM.

Another way is while driving and slow down to make a left/right turn. Try to accelerate, and you'll notice the slow response. You can feel like the car is under heavy load.

All this only happen in D mode. When you drive in manual mode even at the 4th gear at 20mph, depress on gas pedal, and you still see RPM zoom up to 2000+ rpm easily.

Does any one have this problem? My car 530iA was built in 11/03, and no NAV. Can BMWNA help me on this? It's not a pleasure to drive a car like this anymore.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I've noticed a sluggish response in D a few times but never had anything dangerous happen. When I know I am going to need some pep, I normally just put it in DS and this gives much better response. No more effort than shifting a manual gear-box so it seems like a reasonable solution to me.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I have a similar problems as you before my software upgrade (I assume it was 11.?).. Always get a throttle delay whenever i step on the pedal.

However, after i upgrade my software (I assumed it's 15.2), the problem disappear and it seems that i'm driving on a new car..
Old 02-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Feb 24 2005, 03:07 PM
After having my car upgrade to CIP 13.2, I've notice significant shifting characteristics changed in D mode. Earlier up shifts, delayed downshifts when accelerating.
While I was driving at 65 mph and slowed down to 30 mph because of congested traffic ahead, one guy cut in front of me and applied the brake. I had to swerved to the left to avoid him so I depressed the gas pedal to accelerate to the left, but the car hesitated to downshift and I had to floor the gas pedal to speed up to avoid rear-ended by the car behind. I was horned because the car behind almost rear-ended me.

After got updated to CIP 15.2 last week, there was another incident. When I was driving at 50 mph and approaching a disable car without emergency lights on, I then slow down to 35 mph, and I needed to change to left lane. Again, when I accelerate, car still did not downshift and the tach indicated the RPM at 1700rpm or so. It did not shoot up to 2000+ rpm like it supposed to. Almost an accident and got horned again.

This problem still exists although my dealer claimed that the has installed CIP 15.2.

This slow transmission respond can be reproduced as follows:

1. Accelerate past 45 mph and ease throttle a bit, you'll see transmission upshifts - RPM drop - and you feel like car is under heavy load.
2. Slow down to 30-35 mph, ease the throttle until you see the RPM drop (early upshifts)
3. depress on gas pedal quickly to start accelerate
4. Step on brake, depress on gas pedal quickly, and you'll notice that it hesitate to zoom up RPM.

Another way is while driving and slow down to make a left/right turn. Try to accelerate, and you'll notice the slow response. You can feel like the car is under heavy load.

All this only happen in D mode. When you drive in manual mode even at the 4th gear at 20mph, depress on gas pedal, and you still see RPM zoom up to 2000+ rpm easily.

Does any one have this problem? My car 530iA was built in 11/03, and no NAV. Can BMWNA help me on this? It's not a pleasure to drive a car like this anymore.
[snapback]93957[/snapback]
================================================== ==
I had the same problem as you and was told that CIP 15.2 would address this issue. I had 15.2 installed and found that the accelleration issues are improved. I feel that the shifting is still not smooth. At times I can feel the shifting which I should not. I have to bring the car in for an inspection at the end of March and will have them check it out again.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

my shifts in D used to be sluggish under moderate pedal pressure but after CIP 15.2 I have to say that "D" mode is now more like the old "DS" mode. Much improved. I alse tried "DS" mode the other day and that is VERY responsive now.