E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took my car in for an alignment due to the steering wheel being pointed off to the left. I have read that for a steering wheel alignment, they don't have to touch the suspension and can just fix that using a computer. I told them that the only reason I wanted it does was because of the steering wheel. Well, I got it back and the steering wheel is now pointed off to the right, a little further than the original left orientation. AND, the car doesn't seem to be handling as well as it was before. I don't know if this is due to me being "thrown off" by the steering wheel pointing off the other direction or if they screwed up my alignment and never touched the steering alignment.

Question: Does anyone know for SURE the procedure for straightning the steering wheel on a car with active steering? Also, what has been most people's experience with getting alignments done at the dealer (are they pretty good, using the machines required by BMW or do they just haphazardly adjust stuff to get the readout correct and then give it back?) Is it possible to screw up an alignment using the equipment at the dealer? They tell me that I can't bring it back for 2 weeks because they can't sqeeze me in until then. If my tires start to wear (brand new run-flats), I'm gonna be PI$$ED!!!!

Any helpful info would be appreciated.