E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag and Seat belt lights on '05 525D

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag and Seat belt lights on '05 525D - SOLVED

Hi guys,

I' was trying to sort the problem by reading old threads, but unfortunately I couldn't find one.

Here is my problem, when I start the car I'm getting the iDrive message "Restrain Systems: Function of airbags, belt tensioners and belt force limiters faulty".

On my instrument cluster I have the airbag and the seat belt lights on. If I drive off without putting my seat belt I'm getting the annoying chime to fasten it, but after doing so the light doesn't come off.

Here are my fault codes stored after first clearing all and then turning the ignition on:
01 SIM/SGM OKAY 3 Error stored
93D9 60
93AE 20
93E4 60

A1 SBSL OKAY 2 Error stored
982D 20 Timeout ID 01H (STVL)
9842 70 PDC_3: to few telegrams
A2 SBSR OKAY 2 Error stored
98AD 20
98C2 70

I've tried to make a CONNECTION TEST in the Pillar modules (Right and Left) using INPA but the test has failed.

Any ideas, recommendations etc. are very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bobbyggx; 10-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

I'm having the same problem I got my friend to reprogram the module for me it when away and after 3 weeks it came back on . So I just order an airbag & seat belt by pass still waiting for delivery I think bt the way I saw a video that it should go away and would never see that light on but until then I have to wait until I install it .
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

When my airbag fault indicator and the fasten belts indicator stayed illuminated at the same time, it turned out to be a fault door control module (left side in my case). It can be many things and the errors you posted don't mean anything to me. A new door control module solved my problems.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
New Members

Hi guys, thank you for your posts, it is much appreciated!

That is way I am asking for ideas, because the errors doesn't mean anything

Any ideas how to proceed? The occupancy sensor has been deactivated, but the lights are still on. How to test the door module and where is their location? On my INPA there no fault codes excluding the listed above, and I have read all thread across the web regarding Airbag light and the most common case is the occupancy sensor, which is not the problem in may case.

The modules were reprogrammed with their factory settings but without any luck. I will do this procedure again. In the mean time I would appreciate any idea in order to trace, find and resolve the root cause of the problem.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

"" bobbyggx ""

Keep us updated on the fix . Would come in handy . And I'll keep you updated as well in my fix . Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM
New Members

I sure will!

I found another error in the STVL/TEFA (Is this the driver's door?) module. The error is with code 967D. I am trying to find a descriptive explanation of it but with no luck for now.
EDIT: 967D - voltage monitoring of lower limit value

EDIT2: It seems that the problem is somewhere in the power supply, or the car might need an update. I'll check the iDrive to see which is my version. Here is a PDF which refers to the 967D fault code connected to the Airbag light.

I was wondering if the BST (Battery Safety Terminal) is failing, because I read few threads which were stating that if it blows the car would start but won't have enough power to charge all systems, BUT in that case I wouldn't have the 93D9 "Overvoltage" in my SIM module.

Regarding the 93D9 fault code, I've found the following thread, in which a colleague shows that if this error is occurring, most probably the car needs a software update.

The THREAD.

For all which want to be more knowledgeable regarding the safety in our cars or other BMWs, please refer to the following PDF.

And here is a quote from the Service information (This is regarding E65, but some of my codes are listed also):
SI B 61 13 02

SUBJECT
2002 MY Various Electrical Complaints Caused by Software Errors

MODEL
E65, E66 (7 Series) up to 9/2002 Production

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 20.00.00 (Target Data Status E065-05-09-820)

The red airbag warning light is illuminated. The following STVR and STVL pressure sensor faults are stored:

9676/96F6, 9673/96F3, 9672/96F2, 9662/96E2. Refer to SI B65 35 05 for further information.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 16.0 (Target Data Status E065-05-03-810)

Airbag Warning light is on and one or more of the following faults is stored:

Safety Information Module (SIM) FC 93b4 "Self test no message"

Switch Center, Steering Column (SZL) FC 94b4 "Self test no message"

Switch Center, Steering Column (SZL) FC 94c3 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite A Pillar Left (SASL) FC 9542 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite A Pillar Right (SASR) FC 95c2 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite Left Front Door (STVL) FC 9642 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite Right Front Door (STVR) FC 96c2 "Self test too few messages"

Seat Satellite Drivers Side (SSFA) FC 9742 "Self test too few messages"

Seat Satellite Passengers Side (SSBF) FC 97c2 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite B Pillar Left (SBSL) FC 9842 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite B Pillar Right (SBSR) FC 98c2 "Self test too few messages"

Seat Satellite Rear Seat (SSH) FC 9a42 "Self test too few messages"

Satellite Vehicle Center (SFZ) FC 9ac2 "Self test too few messages"

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 13.2 (Target Data Status 6.76C)

Currently there is no software corrections related to this CIP version

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 10.2 (Target Data Status 6.76A1)

The airbag warning light may be on with one or more of the following faults stored.

Satellite Left Front Door (STVL) FC 9628, Satellite Right Front Door (STVR) FC 96A8, "Processor Reset".

Satellite Left Front Door (STVL) FC 9641, Satellite Right Front Door (STVR) FC 96C1, "Control Module Fault".

Satellite Left Front Door (STVL) FC 962A, Satellite Right Front Door (STVR) FC 96AA, "Internal Control Module Fault".

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 10.0 (Target Data Status 6.76A)

The airbag warning light is on. SZL FC 94EA "Steering Wheel Module communication" is stored. This fault may return after updating the vehicle software using CIP8.2 or higher.

The gong intermittently fails to sound for all gong functions.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 9.2 (Target Data Status 6.76)

Hesitation on acceleration from a stop.

After placing a telephone call (CPT8000) and leaving the iDrive in the communication menu, the iDrive is ineffective when returning to the vehicle.

Emergency transmission program when engine is started, EGS FC 4FB2 internal fault 3 (watchdog).

When the engine is switched off the warning "The transmission automatically shifts to P when the engine is switched off. Please consult your BMW center as soon as possible" is displayed. EGS FC 51AC (CAN ID sensor inserted) is stored.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 8.2 (Target Data Status 6.75A)

The airbag warning light is on. The following fault codes are stored in fault memory, STVR 96E2, and STVL 9662 "communication pressure sensor" sets at low ambient temperatures.

If a destination was stored in the SVS address book and is recalled, a new destination, which was not previously stored, is adopted and the system initiates route guidance for that destination.

The airbag warning light is on. SZL FC 94EA "Steering Wheel Module communication" is stored. If the fault returns after updating the vehicle software using CIP8.2 or higher, replace the "Steering Wheel Electronics" control module.

After a brief interruption of the audio system (MOST bus reset), the volume adjustment switches to a louder/quieter setting.

Radio stations stored in the Control Display are deleted, moved or replaced by an unknown frequency.

The sounds system emits a pop/crackling noise when the vehicle is started at low ambient temperatures. Only vehicles equipped with Logic7 Amplifier.

When the auto headlight mode is active, the headlights do not turn off when vehicle is driven from dark ambient light conditions to brighter ambient light conditions (Only affects vehicles updated with CIP 7.22).

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 6.1 (Target Data Status 6.73.A)
Check Control shows service interval too short.

RDC fails intermittently, check control message and tires indicated in MMI are yellow.

Control Display and Instrument Cluster settings revert to Metric.

Poor FM radio reception.

Battery discharged because of increased closed-circuit current caused by door modules.

Airbag warning light is illuminated (SIM processor reset FC 93A8).

Comfort front seat headrests adjust to a predefined position every time the seat is moved.

Rear headrests move up and down on their own (Note: After programming with CIP 4.2 or higher, the rear headrests can be locked using the lockout switch on the driver's door).

Rear roller sunblind does not operate at low temperatures.

All doors unlock automatically as soon as engine is switched off and the remote is removed from the CAS (only when Drive-away locking is deactivated in VKM (Vehicle Key Memory).

The trunk lock button is locked on the 3rd press of the remote unlock button.

Total mileage shows 999,999 when ignition is switched on.

The Control Display check control symbol (vehicle symbol) is displayed incorrectly (wrong color).

The steering column position is not stored to a previously set value when key is changed.

Airbag light on, fault stored in SIM "93D9 Overvoltage shutdown".

The passenger side mirror doesn't return to its original position after automatic parking function.

No voice instructions are given from the navigation system when route guidance is activated.

Poor brightness and low contrast in the Control Display.

A rapid double-click on the iDrive controller while in the "Tone selection" menu resets the sound settings.

When the engine is switched on, "Initialize Tire Pressure Control" is displayed.

Vehicle settings (for example: the settings for the freely allocated MFL button, Park Distance Control (PDC) screen settings and the language in navigation menu settings) automatically change on their own.

When a vehicle is parked for extended periods exposed to high ambient temperatures, the Control Display may have a delay in startup (screen remains dark).

After the DME was programmed using CIP 7.0 or 7.1, the customer may have driveability complaints. Check engine light is on, "Engine malfunction due to driving style" appears in Control Display, multiple faults are stored in DME: misfire detection, manifold pressure sensor, air mass meter, Valvetronic power limitation, etc

Last edited by bobbyggx; 09-25-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 PM
New Members

Unfortunately it seems that my version of CIP 22.0, which means that I already got the update
Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 PM
New Members

After playing with INPA today I found in the driver's door module (left) that I have problems with "Resistor Detonation Pill". I reads 0.80 Ohm, when the minimum is 0.84 Ohm (refer to the image below).

Can someone tell me where exactly is this detonation pill, is it in the module itself, or it is separately?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM
New Members

Guys, any thoughts regarding the above? What is the "RESISTOR DETONATION PILL", is this the side airbag located behind the driver's (left) door panel?

Those lights are poking my eyes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM
New Members

Hi guys,

I'm happy to inform you that I no longer have the Airbag light on

The problem: THERE WAS NO PROBLEM

I removed the driver's (left) door panel and started to look around. I disconnected the airbag replacing it by 2 Ohms resistor - Nothing changed, errors were still in the modules and the resistor detonation pill was still 0.80 Ohm. Then I removed the door module and I started cleaning all connectors including the Airbag fiber-optic.

Assembled everything backwards and cleared all fault codes. I was very surprised when they didn't appear again. Now there is now airbag light on the instrument cluster and I'm very happy. Hopefully it will last

Thank you all for your cooperation!

Quick Reply: Airbag and Seat belt lights on '05 525D