E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Airbag light on. Error TMBF 96C8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i SMG

Today I dropped off my car at the stealer, ups i meant the dealer, for a floor mat sensor recall (Finally in Canada!!!!!), and to program the SMG control unit which was also a recall for 2004 530i.
After all that, the airbag light is still on and the problem comes from inside the passenger door.
The code is TMBF 96C8: Short circuit, firing circuit, thorax airbag, passenger, to positive.

Is anyone that can tell me more about this? Is it a DIY? The stealer in Vancouver charges $175/h.

Also i would like to mention that the light came on 1-2 weeks after i got tint on my front windows, which was in May 2011 (door panels were not removed!). Maybe some water got in there? Is there any chance that a fuse is gone?
And one more thing, the car has no accidents!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Members

nobody?!? Not even one reply?!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Members

They tinted your windows without removing them?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

I have to deal with this. The window tinter probably killed the mat. Apparently they can fail from somebody supporting their body weight with a hand or knee on the seat cushion. My problems occurred after installing a dension gateway in the glovebox, which involved a bunch of leaning in or kneeling on the passenger seat.

96c8 I believe is not mentioned in the seat mat service bulletin. Would be nice to know if you had the code before the mat was replaced (I assume they replaced it?)

Where did you take it in? I am in Van too. Just got my car back from a rock chip claim at Korva and it looks better than new.

Originally Posted by Mihainede85
Today I dropped off my car at the stealer, ups i meant the dealer, for a floor mat sensor recall (Finally in Canada!!!!!), and to program the SMG control unit which was also a recall for 2004 530i.
After all that, the airbag light is still on and the problem comes from inside the passenger door.
The code is TMBF 96C8: Short circuit, firing circuit, thorax airbag, passenger, to positive.

Is anyone that can tell me more about this? Is it a DIY? The stealer in Vancouver charges $175/h.

Also i would like to mention that the light came on 1-2 weeks after i got tint on my front windows, which was in May 2011 (door panels were not removed!). Maybe some water got in there? Is there any chance that a fuse is gone?
And one more thing, the car has no accidents!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The problem started after the windows were tinted? That's funny because the airbag unit with plug should be directly behind the panel and in front of the weather barrier. Therefore water shouldn't be able to get to it. Invest in some BMW tools and diagnos it yourself because $175 hour is extremely too much.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Members

@ Mother: Yes. The guy was pretty good.

@mullenc: I changed the floor mat, there was a recall on it. I went to Brian Jessel (not the Authohaus - don`t you ever go there!!!!!), the one on Boundary. Also they reprogrammed the SMG module.
Yes i had the code before the mat was replaced.
Btw, Nixon auto is way better and cheaper than BJ, BJ autohaus, or BMW Store. They charge $100/h

@AchtungE60: I had the car tested by two other shops and same thing, same error. I think there is a chance that water got in there. When they install that film, they use that special plastic blade to eliminate the air/water bubbles pulling the water down.
Here:
http://www.ehow.com/video_2200711_in...le-window.html

BTw, i looked for "how to take the door panel off" and i couldn`t find anything....
I heard that i have to disconnect the battery...why is that?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Mihainede85
@ Mother: Yes. The guy was pretty good.

@mullenc: I changed the floor mat, there was a recall on it. I went to Brian Jessel (not the Authohaus - don`t you ever go there!!!!!), the one on Boundary. Also they reprogrammed the SMG module.
Yes i had the code before the mat was replaced.
Btw, Nixon auto is way better and cheaper than BJ, BJ autohaus, or BMW Store. They charge $100/h

@AchtungE60: I had the car tested by two other shops and same thing, same error. I think there is a chance that water got in there. When they install that film, they use that special plastic blade to eliminate the air/water bubbles pulling the water down.
Here:
http://www.ehow.com/...ile-window.html

BTw, i looked for "how to take the door panel off" and i couldn`t find anything....
I heard that i have to disconnect the battery...why is that?

I am familiar with installing tint and vinyl. I have done it too many times and of course you need to use a squeegee and soapy water but still, the airbag should not be in a place where it would have contact with water at any time.

You don't have to disconnect the battery unless you're going to unplug the airbag. When working on cars I normally unbolt it and swing it out of the way and hold it with a wiretie. If you want to disconnect the airbag then you should disconnect the battery otherwise it will throw a fault and you'll have to get it reset.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I am familiar with installing tint and vinyl. I have done it too many times and of course you need to use a squeegee and soapy water but still, the airbag should not be in a place where it would have contact with water at any time.

You don't have to disconnect the battery unless you're going to unplug the airbag. When working on cars I normally unbolt it and swing it out of the way and hold it with a wiretie. If you want to disconnect the airbag then you should disconnect the battery otherwise it will throw a fault and you'll have to get it reset.
Thanks. I`ll take the panel off when i install the Aux cable, spend the whole day on my car. Thank you again!