5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Airbag error after removing front door panel...HELP! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/airbag-error-after-removing-front-door-panel-help-130371/)

balbs 03-29-2013 07:43 PM

Airbag error after removing front door panel...HELP!

I was installing new speakers in. I disconnected the battery before I started to remove and disconnect the door panel. After I was done, I plugged everything back in and reconnected the battery. I started the car and I got the airbag error.

I've removed the panel before and always disconnected the battery. This time for some reason I got the airbag error.

The main question is, can I just clear this out using INPA? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

DavidF 03-30-2013 05:59 AM

Two things come to mind: you failed to properly reconnect eitHer the airbag or door module electrical connections. Or, you coincidently lost (failed)the door module.

INPA will reset the light after the problem causing the light is corrected. Are both the airbag and seatbelt lights on or just the airbag?

balbs 03-30-2013 09:02 AM

Is it just a matter of clearing the error and history?

balbs 03-30-2013 01:52 PM

I tried to clear the error on inpa but it still comes back with the "Fault in the passenger-restraint system affecting airbag..."

Am I clearing it wrong? I cleared the error and error memory.

Airbag light is off.

Bobbrown13 03-30-2013 04:50 PM

Check your battery level. As it happens I put on my M5 mirrors last night and everything went well untill I forgot to install the passenger aitbag screw and reconnected the battery. I got an airbag message followed by an anti-lock braking error message and the car wouldnt start. I had the night off (been working nights since Jan 8 and riding in to plant with a guy with a rental) but I havnt been driving but maybe 5 miles a week at the moist. I have an increased battery discharge warning at startup as well.
After I got the battery jumped it cycled through some diagnostics and cleared itself.

Make sure that screw is actually tight. That's a real pain to actually get in its hole. It tends to tilt away any you may not actually have it in tight.

balbs 03-30-2013 05:24 PM

Just got back from looking at it again. It seems the airbag plug was broken. I don't know how it happened, but it seemed to be sliding out easily where it should catch and not slip at all. It probably loosened when I was banging the door panel back in when putting things back together. Anyway, for now I just made sure it's plugged in and taped it down. I would need to get a part number for the plug and replace it. I cleared the errors with INPA and now the car starts fine and no more errors on the iDrive.
Thanks everyone for the help!

:twoup:

Puricele7e 03-31-2013 10:08 AM

Had that problem too........mine didn't break, it just came loose, as I wiggled the door card into place.... :D It has to snap in with an audible click I think, you really have to press it down to click into place (as far as I remember).

Greets

Margal 04-01-2013 06:48 AM

That's why I hate to take off the door panels. So many thing goes wrong and loose. I took my door handle moldings not removing the door panels and simply glues them back. Need to put di noc vinyl on window switch but not worth the pain of removing door panel. These parts should be on clips for easy removal not not on the screws.