E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Airbag Badge Cracked/Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all, new to this forum, been coming here every now and then, this site has got some of the knowledgeable people on board.

anyway,

i have a 530i, 2004 model (manufactured Dec 2003) Australia model.

i have been having trouble with the airbag badge in the rear seat. 1 or 2 year/s ago, the cracked in the right side (rear passenger side), so the dealer replace it free of charge outside of warranty.

but now, it cracked again (just starting to). this time, the rear left passenger side also cracked, but not the outside, but from the inside, so the retainer inside the airbag emblem cracked and fell of, causing the badge to fell off.

the dealer wouldn't want to fix it under defect claim this time, claiming that it is most possibly my fault, because i smashed the door to hard O.o

truth be told, i rarely had passenger in the rear seat, and i take care of all my things. this car has only got 21,000km in the odometer, for the 5 years i have them. so it is unlikely i smashed them in.

the dealer proposed to fix it for around AU$100 (reduced from the full cost of estimated $175), they said it would require the opening of the door trim on both side. they said that its "my lucky day" that they just have got the last 2 of the airbag badge in Germany (doubt that).

also, if you recall that the early 5-series also have problem with the headlight retainer cracking; they claimed that i crashed the car, even though there is no damage done to any of the external bodywork.

please help, what should i do? anyone has similar problem?

i'm quite aware that everything is not perfect (even though nowadays almost, if not all company seems to have the mind-set to; release now, fix later).

Even if i pay this now, what chance wouldn't it having fell out/cracked again in a year time.

right now, it looks really ugly.

I hate getting ripped off or conned.

All image is for the Rear Passenger Door

image 1: Left Door

image 2: Left Door (showing the breakage)

image 3: Right Door (breakage on the "A" - airb[A]g)
Attached Thumbnails Airbag Badge Cracked/Fell Off-left_side___img_0121__large_.jpg   Airbag Badge Cracked/Fell Off-left_side__showing_the_breakage____img_0124__large_.jpg   Airbag Badge Cracked/Fell Off-right_side__cracked_on_a____img_0125__large_.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Hard to figure out how the tab of a badge that hasn't been touched would break?? But plastics in today's auto's is manufactured to be environmentally friendly and that sometimes means they don't last forever!

That said, I'd apply a small small touch of silicone sealant to the side of the plastic badge that is tab-less and secure it temporarily to dry with some tape. I don't think that a small small amount of adhesive would cause a problem is the airbag deployed and at the same time would not prevent it's removal if the trim needed to removed.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1029197
But plastics in today's auto's is manufactured to be environmentally friendly and that sometimes means they don't last forever!
of course, however, remembering this car is only 5-years old and only has like 20k on the clock, plus the emblem on the right rear of the vehicle has been replaced once already.

replacing it once every one or two years is absurd. i'm sure many would agree. plastic parts are meant to be reliable. especially the badge, which is not a moving part, or is under any mechanical loading stress.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Wow, talk about not standing behind their products. I would try calling BMW headquarters and see if they would back you up. G/L