E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Conditioning - technique to mitigate smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[quote name='UUronL' date='Aug 10 2007, 04:47 AM' post='457240']
As noted here many times, to keep the AC from smelling you're supposed to turn the compressor off 10+ minutes before you arrive somewhere so that the system can purge the condensation that has been built up. If not, it mildews and gets musty/smelly.

As any AC the E60's needs some attention.

The system needs to be cleaned once in a while and the mircofilters changed.

Also a opening of the hood and clear out of debris makes a differance.

The engine compartment should be washed once a year.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Members

I guess I just have to deal with the smell than running down my battery and screw everything (electronics) with a dead battery.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='457350' date='Aug 10 2007, 07:12 AM
Dunno Rudy. I grew up in Pgh (my car and I will actually be there this weekend) - but DC (where I live now) is far worse. My previous two cars were German, and they both had a smell issue. I have been hyper-careful with the BMW, and so far no issues - however I blow the condensation out every time. I run the blower until I smell what I can only describe as vinegar-like odor. Once this passes and the air smells like nothing, I know I'm in the clear.
I live in Pgh, and funny you would mention smell. Today when I got in my car, after it was was left running with the AC on by the dealer for about 15 minutes (was over 90F today) when I went to pick it up today, I got in it and made that face like, "WTF stinks?!" I have noticed that smell before when I start it up in the AM. However, how many times have I let the car run with the AC on for 10 or 15 minutes and then gotten in? Probably never. So what does this mean? Who knows? All I know is that I get the smell from time to time, and today it really stunk! As I drove away, either it went away by itself or I just didn't notice it anymore because I had gotten used to it. Maybe the smell is always worse with the car idling in place with the AC on vs. in motion? That would make sense as to why I only smell it in the AM, and in the case like today.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Members

BMW does something different to other maybe US manufacturers re. AC. While normal ACs simply condense the humidity and drip it out which leads to extreme dry air in the car on longer drives, BMW revaporates and keeps the air in the car in a physiologically correct humidity. Thats why you barely see any wet spots below the car.
If you want to get rid of the odor my German BMW subsidiary gave me this tip. Open the hood remove both air intake filters. Close AC to recirculate air. Open all windows. Set vent to a higher level. Spray some home desinfection without parfume into the open air intake ducts and let it run for five minutes. If you want a certain parfume you can spray some of your favorite scents after, carefully.
Refit everything, that's it.

One note. I almost got poisened once on the cleaning of the AC of my former E60 by one dealer. By aware that cleaning agents are not very healthy and every dealer may use its own brand. Some of them vaporate chemicals such as formalin for month into the intererior of the car in low amounts.

Best regards

Bernd
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Members

just spray the intake vent (not the engine intake, but the vent on the hood) with some anti-bacterial duct spray.

also, you should turn the heater on for about 10-20 minutes (ON HIGH HEAT, MED fan setting!) to evap. the smell. (as b4 you're going on a date or some emergency like the described)
Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Pshaw, on your humidity. Try my location. 102 degrees and 95% humidity (yesterday) although a VERY dry 70% right now. Leave system on Auto all the time in summer and no smell.

Here is a general info bulletin on A/C

SIB_640807.pdf
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Also see this thread Post #7

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=39033
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster
Talking

It is interesting..reading these posts I fall into both categories of unexplained funk and controlled. After over a year and 16K miles my 530 still has 'that new car smell' While my Boxster that is slightly older with half the miles does have a funky smell.

My only explination of this is that I for the most part have used the recirculation option on my AC with my 530 while I have not with the Porsche.

I have a number of folks that still remark how my 530 'still smells like new'!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='458676' date='Aug 14 2007, 03:50 PM
Pshaw, on your humidity. Try my location. 102 degrees and 95% humidity (yesterday) although a VERY dry 70% right now. Leave system on Auto all the time in summer and no smell.

Here is a general info bulletin on A/C

Attachment 36354
I agree with cobradav (and thanks for the bulletin Dave!)

I've used automatic for both the the recirculation and the system itself (summer and winter)
on my last four 5 series cars and I've never had any unpleasant odors. In addition, the automatic mode works perfectly -- if you're cold, just raise the temperature a little. If you're hot, lower it. Don't mess with the fan switch or what vents the air comes out of -- the system is engineered very well and does a great job, in my opinion...
Old 08-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='458831' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:58 PM
I agree with cobradav (and thanks for the bulletin Dave!)

I've used automatic for both the the recirculation and the system itself (summer and winter)
on my last four 5 series cars and I've never had any unpleasant odors. In addition, the automatic mode works perfectly -- if you're cold, just raise the temperature a little. If you're hot, lower it. Don't mess with the fan switch or what vents the air comes out of -- the system is engineered very well and does a great job, in my opinion...

I certainly won't argue with that - I'm just afraid to open pandora's box. I have always purged the AC before shutting off the car for fear of getting the smell. I guess the thread title should have read "technique to avoid smell"... mitigate was really the wrong word here. Sorry.

The way I figure it, the instructions for turning off the compressor prior to arrival were written by a German, and the process was created by a German. Germans as a rule follow instructions and rules more than other cultures... (I know, I'm half German). I think that they probably assume that we're all going to follow the instructions to the letter - when we don't... my personal belief is that all bets are off.

I don't think the technique I present will mitigate smell that already exists, but rather it suggests a way to follow the instructions laid out in the manual with the least amount of pain to the vehicle operator. Instead of stewing for 10-15 minutes in a hot car prior to arrival (or not turning the AC on at all for short trips), you can set the parked car vent function to do the purge after you exit the vehicle.