5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Air Conditioning/Ambient temperature problem (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/air-conditioning-ambient-temperature-problem-139533/)

thenameisnick 09-16-2014 09:48 AM

Air Conditioning/Ambient temperature problem

Hello all-

I've been reading a good amount of air conditioning problems but none seem to be specific to my situation (sorry if i've failed and am repeating a question). My 2004 E60 530i's air-conditioning works GREAT when the temperature gauge is over 20*F. The problem is, when i leave my car in the Bakersfield, CA heat, the ambient temperature gauge trips out when i start the car and reads something like -40*F (yes, 40 below). When ambient temperature is below 20*F, the car will only blow hot air out of the air vents, which is moderately (sarcasm) annoying when it is actually 106 outside. Sometimes it takes a good 5 miles before it finally starts to kick on again. I've taken it to European-specific auto shops, BMW dealer, the whole lot, and nobody has been able to fix it.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Is there a way I can bypass the temperature sensor? My hypothesis is that the sensor sitting in the car gets too hot and resets itself, but I really have no idea.
Thank you for your time!

sanjsanj 09-16-2014 10:30 AM

I assume you're referring to the outside temp in the dash? Have you tried replacing the ambient temp sensor, it's in the front bumper, to the side of the intercooler, looks like an antenna

try getting codes read too

romelrod 09-16-2014 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by thenameisnick (Post 1547494)
Hello all-

I've been reading a good amount of air conditioning problems but none seem to be specific to my situation (sorry if i've failed and am repeating a question). My 2004 E60 530i's air-conditioning works GREAT when the temperature gauge is over 20*F. The problem is, when i leave my car in the Bakersfield, CA heat, the ambient temperature gauge trips out when i start the car and reads something like -40*F (yes, 40 below). When ambient temperature is below 20*F, the car will only blow hot air out of the air vents, which is moderately (sarcasm) annoying when it is actually 106 outside. Sometimes it takes a good 5 miles before it finally starts to kick on again. I've taken it to European-specific auto shops, BMW dealer, the whole lot, and nobody has been able to fix it.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Is there a way I can bypass the temperature sensor? My hypothesis is that the sensor sitting in the car gets too hot and resets itself, but I really have no idea.
Thank you for your time!

Try checking the ambient temp. sensor, use a meter and check if there is power in he socket, sometimes the cable gets shorted. if the cable is good, replace the sensor, i have a similar issue and the problem was the cable cut off. good luck

docsilva 09-16-2014 06:33 PM

My ambient sensor also reads -40 but thats how i bought the car, it was involved in an accident so i just see a bunch of wires hanging below my headlight. My ac currently has that same problem but here's whats weird, ive had it like that for about a year and my a/c has worked fine up untill now, so hopefully its an easy fix for you brother.

romelrod 09-17-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by docsilva (Post 1547526)
My ambient sensor also reads -40 but thats how i bought the car, it was involved in an accident so i just see a bunch of wires hanging below my headlight. My ac currently has that same problem but here's whats weird, ive had it like that for about a year and my a/c has worked fine up untill now, so hopefully its an easy fix for you brother.

that is indeed very easy to fix, the cable to the ambient sensor runs toguether with the headlight cables on the passenger side, all you have to do is identify it , it comes with its own plastic cover. once you find it all you have to do is look for the missing piece or just buy a new socket and that would be all.

easy job, took me 10 min,,,

good luck

docsilva 09-17-2014 11:31 AM

Hey thanks brother ill give it a look.

bmwmonkey 01-30-2018 06:03 PM

Does anyone have the part number for the Ambient temp sensor?

buddy 02-03-2018 03:56 AM

Try realoem.com