E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Bubble in the tire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 Alpine White BMW 535i xDrive
Smile

Hi guys 2months in to my car I realized this morning there is an air bubble in my tire! When I was doing the paperwork back in april the lady at the bmw stealership asked me if I wanted to purchase "tire package" for $800 which covers and damage done to the tire for 3years, i said no and didnt think anything of it, she grinned at me and she said "ARE YOU SURE?" im like yeah i dont need it. lol Well now that I regret not getting it. How much does it normally cost for a new tire?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributors

It depends what your going with, what brand? RFT or non-RFT.

Take a look at tirerack. You should have a quick glance at the prices
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 2009 535x iDrive' post='920996' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:13 PM
Hi guys 2months in to my car I realized this morning there is an air bubble in my tire! When I was doing the paperwork back in april the lady at the bmw stealership asked me if I wanted to purchase "tire package" for $800 which covers and damage done to the tire for 3years, i said no and didnt think anything of it, she grinned at me and she said "ARE YOU SURE?" im like yeah i dont need it. lol Well now that I regret not getting it. How much does it normally cost for a new tire?
well...if it's a potenza runflat, you can get one for about $300.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you have a new car? the tires should have a manufacturer's warranty, right?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='921441' date='Jun 23 2009, 06:54 PM
you have a new car? the tires should have a manufacturer's warranty, right?
Which would cover a manufacturer?s defect. But how would that help the OP?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='921452' date='Jun 23 2009, 06:05 PM
Which would cover a manufacturer?s defect. But how would that help the OP?
a bulge is either a slipped or broken belt. it sounds like a defect to me, unless there is evidence of the wheel hitting a curb/pothole.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2009 535x iDrive' post='920996' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:13 PM
Post a picture ... impacts often cause "bubbles" but there is every possibility that if you had no impact or pothole incident that the tire has a "manufacturer's defect" that might get you a replacement at no cost. Be prepared though ... that it's a tough case to prove and your dealer is likely want to 'sell' you a new tire.

Do you have 17" or the 18" tires?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What tires do you have?

If you have RFTs and a spare, here's what you do (especially, if your car's a lease). You take the best two of the RFTs that you have and throw them in the front. Then you go and buy yourself a pair of nice non-RFT tires for the rear. I recommend the Potenza RE760s or 960s, but Yokos are nice, Contis are good too (I currently have Contis). Over-inflate the back to about 40psi, fronts - about 33-34. And enjoy the ride. Keep the tire that has the buble and the other RFT - just in case.

In other news: I've driven on RFTs with bubbles in them for prolonged periods of time 2 or 3 times and I've never had ANY problems. As soon as the bubble grew to the point where I actually started to feel it in the steering, I changed - otherwise, you can use the sh!t out of this tire with no consequences, beyond what's normally expected...

And yeah, NY and RFTs don't go together well - you keep this up, you'll crack a couple of rims too eventually. Trust me, I've been there - RFTs are much too hard for these potholes. I keep fronts in RFTs bc I feel that it gives me better control and more safety, but lots of people switch for non RFTs on all 4s and never look back
Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

How in the heck did you get a side wall bubble on a RFT?

That is one of the big reasons most people stick with them in pot hole prone areas. Having gone threw the mutiple bubbles on non RFT's I don't know if I would not get them.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='921819' date='Jun 24 2009, 01:33 AM
What tires do you have?

If you have RFTs and a spare, here's what you do (especially, if your car's a lease). You take the best two of the RFTs that you have and throw them in the front. Then you go and buy yourself a pair of nice non-RFT tires for the rear. I recommend the Potenza RE760s or 960s, but Yokos are nice, Contis are good too (I currently have Contis). Over-inflate the back to about 40psi, fronts - about 33-34. And enjoy the ride. Keep the tire that has the buble and the other RFT - just in case.

In other news: I've driven on RFTs with bubbles in them for prolonged periods of time 2 or 3 times and I've never had ANY problems. As soon as the bubble grew to the point where I actually started to feel it in the steering, I changed - otherwise, you can use the sh!t out of this tire with no consequences, beyond what's normally expected...

And yeah, NY and RFTs don't go together well - you keep this up, you'll crack a couple of rims too eventually. Trust me, I've been there - RFTs are much too hard for these potholes. I keep fronts in RFTs bc I feel that it gives me better control and more safety, but lots of people switch for non RFTs on all 4s and never look back
Wouldn't he have staggered set up? Unless its a Msport.

With that said, I am swirving left and right on crappy roads when I drive lol.. The sports package is nice on great smooth roads, but here in NJ large of the roads just sucks.

Quick Reply: Air Bubble in the tire!