E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After market exhaust and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a 550 by private seller who is second owner. It has remainder of factory warranty and CPO'ed until 2014. However, he installed an aftermarket RPI exhaust. Before I even think about making an offer wanted to see if anyone knows if this will void either the factory or cpo warranty. Says no ECU changes have been made. Ad also mentioned an air scoop. What would this be? tks
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's pretty well determined that it could only potentially void warranty work related to the exhaust or anything that went wrong believed (proven..?) to be related to it. Like if your windshield wipers stopped working and you have the RPI exhaust.. it wouldn't affect the warranty work.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

An aftermarket exhaust does not just void your entire warranty. If an exhaust component failed, however, there could be an issue...but even then, it depends. I wouldn't be too worried about it. For example, if an exhaust manifold bolt broke, could BMW argue that it happened because you had a cat-back system installed?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Members

Yesterday i was talking to my service adviser while they were changing my rear brake bulb and i saw this 530i with m5 mods (side grills, spoiler, m5 kit and exhausts)..i asked him about the impact on warranty and he told me that they dont care what you do with the body..they only care if you modify anything electrical..like an aftermarket sound system, bulbs, etc
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Senior Members

Yes, exhaust can effect warranty work.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

I've have made extensive modifications to my BMW while keeping it under warranty. You can modify the exhaust provided it is behind the cats. If you modify the cats or anything before them (toward the engine), you void the warranty.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ciphin
I've have made extensive modifications to my BMW while keeping it under warranty. You can modify the exhaust provided it is behind the cats. If you modify the cats or anything before them (toward the engine), you void the warranty.
Any mod can potentially void any warranty related, such as exhaust can void warranty for your turbo because it changes air flow restrictions. Pretty much it boils down to how much of a douche your SA is and what he/she lets you get away with.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I've NEVER had any issue with an aftermarket exhaust and my warranty, so I say go for it, and besides, the RPI exhaust is an AWESOME sounding system!! I MAY be biased here!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I see this isn't going anywhere quick. Bottom line: This is an AXLE back exhaust you are speaking of, not a cat back like some are saying. And the 550i isn't a turbo so no turbo issues to worry about like someone said above. It would have no affect on your warranty and I can stand behind that...

I own a car very similar to the one you speak of.

I've had the exhaust on it for almost the entire two years i've owned the car and I've had it into my BMW dealer a few times and they love the sound and look of the RPI exhaust. I've even been in the back of the shop and talked to the maint manager and head mechanic about it - it doesn't void any warranty.

And the RPI scoop is a ram air thing - suppose to force more air into the airbox as your speed increases. It's really nothing more than some shaped sheet metal that sits behind the left grille and looks cool - mine happens to be red although they come in like yellow, black or red. They (RPI) claim with it and the exhaust you gain some horsepower, like in the 10 HP range I think. I also have the performance BMC airfilter installed and with all three I can honestly say I do notice increased performance and the butt dyno is the true measure of that. The sound on that V8 without the RPI exhaust is, , borring. With the RPI exahust its, , and amazing. And a few extra horse's to boot!