E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After many searches......AC???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Evening

After too many countless hours of searching the forum and other forums, I decided I may post something many people have inquired about and see if there are others experiencing my symptoms. First off I have a 06 550i which I dearly love! My wife has decided that she no longer will ride in the vehicle. Not a bad thing sometimes. During say normal driving with the AC set on 70 degrees in the AUTO function or simply 70 degress and say turned up to halway, the compressor will at times turn itself off or freeze up maybe? What I have found I can do is enter the climate control via Idrive and adjust the blue bars on tick and the AC will again begin to blow cold air. When checking the freon I had to perform this little routine and found the level to be dead on. We have a great BMW mechanic who took a quick look when my wife tried to suprise me by getting the freon topped off and he could not replicate the symptons. Thoughts????

Another things I notice is that when I direct my vent settings that the computer always resets them back to halfway out of the middle towards your chest and a quarter of the bars on my feet. It is not annoying to change them when I enter the vehicle but I was wondering why these maybe not storing in Idrive?

I am in Houston and it has been 100 plus for a week or so. I have no problem replacing the commpressor yet it seems like it may be a sensor or computer issue???

Thanks in advance

Scot
Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Could it be the blend door? Or do you know for sure that the clutch on the compressor is disengaging prematurely?

Another thing it could be is the temp gauge on the HVAC unit. Maybe it is full of dust and since the vent is right above it, maybe through conduction it reads a lower temperature than the true ambient.

Just thoughts, I have no experience with this issue.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am going take a run at later this evening.

I laugh when the wife points out the ac in my 1988 535is blows colder.

Have a great day