E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After the auction.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

congrats. welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Welcome to the forums! You have great tastes in cars. As others have said, your husband is very lucky to have an automotive enthusiast mate!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pharmb' post='830010' date='Mar 29 2009, 08:08 PM
I know this sounds too simple, but you may want to check the tire pressures - even though you have new tires, under inflation can cause a lot of what you've described. Hope it works out for you, good luck.
Good point!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='829701' date='Mar 29 2009, 10:58 AM
Hi all. I just traded my trusty 02 525i 5 speed for an 06 530xi certified lease return that the dealership purchased for me (sight unseen). (Silver gray/black, sport, premium, navigation, Logic 7, cold weather pkg and some other stuff? ) I was really hesitant to commit to it since I hadn?t driven an all wheel drive and it just seemed like a huge risk in general. However, the salesman reassured me that the vehicle would be immaculate, that a factory paint technician would address all cosmetic issues on the exterior to my satisfaction, and that in addition to the certification warranty they would offer a 3 month 3000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on the car. And it would have 4 new tires. It looked like a good value with about as many assurances as you are going to get with a used car, and the trade numbers were right, so I decided to risk it. Well?it was a very long doubt filled week waiting for the car, with many changes of heart?.!!! I?m sure it took 50 years off my life?which I could not spare. Anyway, they delivered on the immaculate and by and large on the exterior as well (a couple small boo boos still visible on close inspection). It?s a beautiful car. The handling is another issue however. Everything I had read about the AWD was that it was seamless. Only one person mentioned that it was a different feeling from the RWD, like the car was constantly searching for traction. Well, I think he nailed it. It doesn?t have that rock solid feeling in the steering that my RWD had, although the handling is otherwise crisp and precise and off pavement feels really secure. My husband drove it for the first time yesterday and said he wasn?t comfortable with the feel of it at high speed. I also feel more body movement than with my other car, even on a straight line, and find myself compensating for the slight but constant movement, which is tiring. This is perhaps partly due to the fact that the sport package on the xi is not really a sport suspension, which I learned after the fact I did do some research first but missed that somehow. I?m thinking retrofit with comfort seats for the added bolstering might help but, ahem, I have not mentioned this to my husband yet. Maybe I?ll just do and see if he notices? Actually, maybe the dealership would work with me on that, since the salesman told me it was the same car as another one we were considering, but with AWD?so clearly he didn?t know about the suspension issue either. Anyway, I read somewhere that changing the rear springs can help with body roll, but wondered if that would compromise the ride (like driving an empty pickup over bumps in the road). And, finally, I don?t know how much might be attributable to the tires, which are Dunlop Signature tubeless radials. I know these are not top flight tires, but they have some followers. I had Michelins on my other car, which was a perfect match, and have read good things about Continentals (the spare is a Continental?so I?m betting that was the original equipment). Any thoughts anyone? (Besides the fact that I?m an idiot for buying a car I hadn?t driven? I know this already? ) Any experiences with either of these issues or retrofits? Thanks!!! Nice to meet you all BTW! Sorry for the book?.
"Tubeless"--no one has used that term since the early 50s. You are really showing some age. Cut that out.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='830648' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:01 PM
"Tubeless"--no one has used that term since the early 50s. You are really showing some age. Cut that out.
Well...shoot. After all the trouble I went to to read that off the tire and sound informed (find my glasses, shed some light on the subject, standing on my head....). Actually, though, I just acquired the term myself. In the 50's none of my tires had tubes OR air...
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey Metallic, black leather interior, 172 wheels, 35% tint, comfort, cold weather package, logic 7

Congrats on the XI, I hope you have great luck with it. As for your doubts about the ride quality, you can always try and test drive another XI for comparison sake.