E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After the auction.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Hi all. I just traded my trusty 02 525i 5 speed for an 06 530xi certified lease return that the dealership purchased for me (sight unseen). (Silver gray/black, sport, premium, navigation, Logic 7, cold weather pkg and some other stuff? ) I was really hesitant to commit to it since I hadn?t driven an all wheel drive and it just seemed like a huge risk in general. However, the salesman reassured me that the vehicle would be immaculate, that a factory paint technician would address all cosmetic issues on the exterior to my satisfaction, and that in addition to the certification warranty they would offer a 3 month 3000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on the car. And it would have 4 new tires. It looked like a good value with about as many assurances as you are going to get with a used car, and the trade numbers were right, so I decided to risk it. Well?it was a very long doubt filled week waiting for the car, with many changes of heart?.!!! I?m sure it took 50 years off my life?which I could not spare. Anyway, they delivered on the immaculate and by and large on the exterior as well (a couple small boo boos still visible on close inspection). It?s a beautiful car. The handling is another issue however. Everything I had read about the AWD was that it was seamless. Only one person mentioned that it was a different feeling from the RWD, like the car was constantly searching for traction. Well, I think he nailed it. It doesn?t have that rock solid feeling in the steering that my RWD had, although the handling is otherwise crisp and precise and off pavement feels really secure. My husband drove it for the first time yesterday and said he wasn?t comfortable with the feel of it at high speed. I also feel more body movement than with my other car, even on a straight line, and find myself compensating for the slight but constant movement, which is tiring. This is perhaps partly due to the fact that the sport package on the xi is not really a sport suspension, which I learned after the fact I did do some research first but missed that somehow. I?m thinking retrofit with comfort seats for the added bolstering might help but, ahem, I have not mentioned this to my husband yet. Maybe I?ll just do and see if he notices? Actually, maybe the dealership would work with me on that, since the salesman told me it was the same car as another one we were considering, but with AWD?so clearly he didn?t know about the suspension issue either. Anyway, I read somewhere that changing the rear springs can help with body roll, but wondered if that would compromise the ride (like driving an empty pickup over bumps in the road). And, finally, I don?t know how much might be attributable to the tires, which are Dunlop Signature tubeless radials. I know these are not top flight tires, but they have some followers. I had Michelins on my other car, which was a perfect match, and have read good things about Continentals (the spare is a Continental?so I?m betting that was the original equipment). Any thoughts anyone? (Besides the fact that I?m an idiot for buying a car I hadn?t driven? I know this already? ) Any experiences with either of these issues or retrofits? Thanks!!! Nice to meet you all BTW! Sorry for the book?.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='829701' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:58 AM
Hi all. I just traded my trusty 02 525i 5 speed for an 06 530xi certified lease return that the dealership purchased for me (sight unseen). (Silver gray/black, sport, premium, navigation, Logic 7, cold weather pkg and some other stuff? ) I was really hesitant to commit to it since I hadn?t driven an all wheel drive and it just seemed like a huge risk in general. However, the salesman reassured me that the vehicle would be immaculate, that a factory paint technician would address all cosmetic issues on the exterior to my satisfaction, and that in addition to the certification warranty they would offer a 3 month 3000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on the car. And it would have 4 new tires. It looked like a good value with about as many assurances as you are going to get with a used car, and the trade numbers were right, so I decided to risk it. Well?it was a very long doubt filled week waiting for the car, with many changes of heart?.!!! I?m sure it took 50 years off my life?which I could not spare. Anyway, they delivered on the immaculate and by and large on the exterior as well (a couple small boo boos still visible on close inspection). It?s a beautiful car. The handling is another issue however. Everything I had read about the AWD was that it was seamless. Only one person mentioned that it was a different feeling from the RWD, like the car was constantly searching for traction. Well, I think he nailed it. It doesn?t have that rock solid feeling in the steering that my RWD had, although the handling is otherwise crisp and precise and off pavement feels really secure. My husband drove it for the first time yesterday and said he wasn?t comfortable with the feel of it at high speed. I also feel more body movement than with my other car, even on a straight line, and find myself compensating for the slight but constant movement, which is tiring. This is perhaps partly due to the fact that the sport package on the xi is not really a sport suspension, which I learned after the fact I did do some research first but missed that somehow. I?m thinking retrofit with comfort seats for the added bolstering might help but, ahem, I have not mentioned this to my husband yet. Maybe I?ll just do and see if he notices? Actually, maybe the dealership would work with me on that, since the salesman told me it was the same car as another one we were considering, but with AWD?so clearly he didn?t know about the suspension issue either. Anyway, I read somewhere that changing the rear springs can help with body roll, but wondered if that would compromise the ride (like driving an empty pickup over bumps in the road). And, finally, I don?t know how much might be attributable to the tires, which are Dunlop Signature tubeless radials. I know these are not top flight tires, but they have some followers. I had Michelins on my other car, which was a perfect match, and have read good things about Continentals (the spare is a Continental?so I?m betting that was the original equipment). Any thoughts anyone? (Besides the fact that I?m an idiot for buying a car I hadn?t driven? I know this already? ) Any experiences with either of these issues or retrofits? Thanks!!! Nice to meet you all BTW! Sorry for the book?.

I think I speak for all guys in general when I say:

"Your husband is a lucky man" to have a wife that
knows and understands that much about cars !
(regardless of your impromptu decision to buy
the car sight unseen)

I didn't get the XI because it looked like it rode
way too high off the ground. Also read a few
things about it that made me shy away from AWD
in a bmw.

Did you get a good deal on it?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Members

You may want to have the dealer look at the steering wheel angle sensor (I think that's it). I have taken my 2006 530xi over 100mph only twice. The first time, it got "floaty" and I attributed it to the ride height and suspension differences (this is my third 5, first xi). I have the 18" 123 rims with summer tires, so I don't think that they were a factor (it was about 70 degrees, sunny, good asphalt for the test). A few months later, I had a failure of the steering wheel angle sensor (or whatever it was that a lot of other people had fail). After the dealer replaced the sensor, I took the car up to speed again. No problems.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='829701' date='Mar 29 2009, 08:58 AM
First, let me congratulate you on the new ride.
I don't have xi so no comments about that. I too though about switching my sports seats with comfort seats, mainly for the better head rest and neck support. But after driving for about couple of months I settle for and now enjoy my sports seats. You just got the car about a week ago, give it some time, you might change your mind and if not you can always do the seat swtich. Some members here have actualy switched the head rest only.

In the mean time enjoy your new ride and in a few weeks, you will grow to enjoy it even more... trust me on this one.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by ynottony' post='829726' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:40 AM
I think I speak for all guys in general when I say:

"Your husband is a lucky man" to have a wife that
knows and understands that much about cars !
(regardless of your impromptu decision to buy
the car sight unseen)

I didn't get the XI because it looked like it rode
way too high off the ground. Also read a few
things about it that made me shy away from AWD
in a bmw.

Did you get a good deal on it?
Hi ynottony. You are so VERY kind! Without getting into numbers, I think I got a very fair deal, particularly with respect to what they allowed for my trades. It's not so easy to sell a car outright these days. FWIW I noticed it was listed on BMW's certified list for several thousand more than what I paid for it (even though it was already sold, curiously). Maybe they weren't banking on me....
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Hey, RobertB. I'll check into the steering sensor, thanks! Floaty is a good way to describe the feeling... And, good advice, jagbagri. Goodness knows it's more comfortable than my previous car, irregardless. Post purchase jitters perhaps : As if the pre-purchase jitters weren't enough!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I can't answer for AWD differences in the E60 but I do have an X3 AWD which drives and handles just fine. I do not notice any twtchiness or floatiness with it and I've been to 100+ mph in the X3.

My RWD 550i is just fine at high speeds (even 130+ mph on track). Although it doesn't quite have the same rock solid feel on some roads as my E39s did. I think its softer shocks to compensate for 19in tires that make it feel not quite as good and more tramlining from the tires themselves.

I would suspect the tires more than anything. Dunlop Signature tires appear to be a mid-grade all-season. Tire rack reviews of it are mixed with many reporting similar issues as you. If its Dunlop SP Sport Signatures, they appear to have somewhat better reviews. If you keep the car, I'd consider high end Michelin or Goodyear tires. If you live in a colder climate, go with All Season sport tires (Michelin Pilot A/S or Goodyear F1 All Season). Or go with Z rated summer tires for the best handling and switch to snows in winter. I've got Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics on the 550i. Expensive but worth it.

I'd try to talk to the dealer about your concerns with the car and test drive other E60s if possible, AWD & RWD. Also see if you can work in a tire trade with the deal but I doubt they'd do that. If you do keep the car and switch tires, get a good allignment by a BMW knowledgeable shop.

PS: Welcome to the board. I hope you get it worked out.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Hi, Congrats on the beautiful car. I drive an 06, 525XI, standard suspension and I have to say that I have taken it to very high speeds and the car feels as solid and sure footed at those speeds as it does when just cruising in the 60's. Yours might just be a faulty component on your suspension, but then again, I don't know anything about a sport suspension coupled to an Xdrive. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the additional info guys. I was toying with approaching the dealer with changing out the tires and paying the difference. Would have been better if I had anticipated the issue before we struck a deal and perhaps I could have negotiated a better set of tires in the bargain. Oh well. That I can deal with, eventually. Good to know that there are xi's out there that do feel really stable though. As a starting point I need to get the list of repairs they made to the car as part of the certification process, so I know whether they actually did align it and what electronics were part of that inspection. Anyway, I like the car too much not to keep it so one way or the other I'm gonna work it out!

This is a great board BTW. I know I'm going to learn a lot just by hanging around. Not always just mechanical stuff either.... It's all good.....
Old 03-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='829987' date='Mar 29 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the additional info guys. I was toying with approaching the dealer with changing out the tires and paying the difference. Would have been better if I had anticipated the issue before we struck a deal and perhaps I could have negotiated a better set of tires in the bargain. Oh well. That I can deal with, eventually. Good to know that there are xi's out there that do feel really stable though. As a starting point I need to get the list of repairs they made to the car as part of the certification process, so I know whether they actually did align it and what electronics were part of that inspection. Anyway, I like the car too much not to keep it so one way or the other I'm gonna work it out!

This is a great board BTW. I know I'm going to learn a lot just by hanging around. Not always just mechanical stuff either.... It's all good.....
I know this sounds too simple, but you may want to check the tire pressures - even though you have new tires, under inflation can cause a lot of what you've described. Hope it works out for you, good luck.