E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Advice Needed - E60 absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013 | 03:58 PM
New Members

Default Advice Needed - E60 absorbers

Hi all, am driving an E60 530d manufactured in year 2004; it came to a decision to replace the absorber as its floaty and I think its giving way.

Heard quite a number of premature failures of Sach/Boge OEM replacement from the local dealers hence I am thinking about some other alternative like Bilstein B4. Anyone here rides on Bilstein B4 and how does it compares to the Sach/Boge OEM?

I too have some other choice which is a KW v3 used for 8 months and been clocked 13,000 miles. From the look of it; it does looks immaculate but there is a caveat to it; the KW had been dismantled from the car for a good 6 months; would buying an used set of absorber that stocks up at the store room for 6 months a wise choice? How would storing the absorber without using it? Would it be an issue?

Contemplating between the Bilstein B4 and KW v3; the KW is almost doubled the price of a brand new set of B4 however I knew they are in different league. Am not pushing the car fast most of the time but I kinda like the ideas of having a set of absorber which is adjustable to suits the need from time to time.

Need some honest opinion here :-)
Old 03-19-2013 | 05:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Recently replaced my OEM front struts with the same BOGE/Sachs struts. The ones I replaced had 99K on them and while they were weak (I would say a 30% loss over the new OEM in terms of bounce back) but they were not leaking nor completely failed.

If you want a harsher, more rigid ride, then go with the Bilstein's. If you were happy with the original handling of the vehicle miles/years back, then stay OEM. Some guys complain about these ride characteristics after going with Bilstein. Your choice.

Also check your Tension Strut, Wishbone Arms and Tie Rod joints for play as well. Meyle HD arms adds to the rigidity of the ride over Lemforder/BMW arms.

Replace the strut mounts as they have a ball bearing in them that wears as well. Ditto for the coil springs rubber mount gaskets. Sachs Strut Mounts are identical to OEM and REIN - bumpers are identical to OEM BMW as well.
Old 03-19-2013 | 11:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I've only heard good things about the KW coilover set, especially from the x-drive folks as the suspensions are different. I have not seen or heard a lot of good said about the Bilsteins in the x-drive but it seems a lot of folks in RWD seem to like them. The Bilsteins and KWs are leagues apart and that is the reason for the price difference. The KW V3 is very adjustable, both height, rebound and absorption. If you are going to keep the car, I would suggest the KWs.

Since you do not have x-drive, the Koni FSD have had great reviews. I installed them in my A6 Avant and loved them.

I do not think the removal from the car will make a difference, but it will take a few miles for any shock absorber to settle after you install them. Even new springs settle after installation.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by RIHI; 03-19-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2013 | 01:37 PM
Contributors

Model Year: 2006

Bilstein B4 - I've seen numerous threads of people saying they are too stiff or harsh. Others like them.

Koni FSD - I don't know about now, however, a while back, I've seen numerous posts on them leaking when used on an E60. Last I checked they were mainly used on smaller cars. However, as I mentioned, that was awhile back and maybe they're better now.

KW V3 - Haven't heard a bad thing about them either. You can make the ride as gentle as you want or as harsh as you want. Creed, what car was the KW V3 from? You may want to check if its spring rate will match the spec for your car.

In the end it all depends on your driving style and comfort level so take each shocks advice with a grain of salt.
Old 03-19-2013 | 01:40 PM
Contributors

Model Year: 2006

BTW, another option is Koni Sport yellow shocks. I've seen a few members here posting about them and they like it. Supposedly you can set the ride to be similar to the OEM sport shock. Maybe stiffer or softer.
Old 03-21-2013 | 12:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

I went with the KW V2's and am happy I went with them instead of the Bilstien PSS10's. The bilstien's tend to be very stiff however great if you track the car. The KW's are definitely an improvement over the sport suspension in both handling and ride comfort. Granted the V2 only has rebound adjustment and no compression adjustment, it's still enough adjustment to go from a comfortable ride to a firm ride. I definitely think the money is well worth it to get the KW's.
Old 03-23-2013 | 07:22 AM
New Members

Sorry for the late response as I was too occupied with works... :-(

The KWv3 came from a E60 525i which I did a part number cross-check in the KW catalog; it is the exact parts number that match the v3 for E60 530d.

The Koni FSD wouldn't be recommended by me; one of the reason was; its way too soft for the front when you used with the original spring; and one of the main reasons that it had quite a number of premature failure especially on car size/weight like the E60; I've friends using it and I wouldn't vouch for its realibility; and you do not tend to have the kind of confidence to take a corner or high-speed drive with the FSD.

I'd have replaced it with OEM Sach/Boge but nowadays part's quality are bad; even those arms made by Lemforder do not last like in the past; hence I was thinking about a brand new B4 or even an used set of KW v3.

Cheers