E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

advice - 530i or 530d

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some advice for buying my first BMW

I need a larger family car and have decided on a 2005 530i M Sport

I only do 5000 miles in town driving so the salesmen said I shouldn't go for a diesel engine.

But after 2 weeks of searching I'm finding it difficult to locate a high spec model within budget. It seems there are plenty of high spec, high mileage 530d & 535d on the market at good prices.

Friends say a re-mapped 530d should be as ecomincal as a 530i in town (but they're merc owners!).

I really want one soon - what should I do?

If diesel is the answer, what should I look out for with high mileage models (70K) ?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say go for diesel, but I'm biased.
You should get known with the quite common issue in BMW diesels; swirl flaps.
The issue can be cured easily though, by removing the flaps.

Go test drive both and choose what desires you most!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

Anyone in US considering buying Diesel? They're slowly coming out.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

TBH I would go with the petrol car. 5k a year isnt much and the diesels arent that economical unless they are on a run(about 5 miles before they are warm enough to return good mpg). The 530i is a proven reliable engine without any of the problems the diesels sometimes have(swirl flaps, turbo failures, breather problems etc.) and you wont be saving anything fuel wise over 5 k miles in the diesel. 530i E60 are out thre and you will find one with the right spec if you keep looking.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='801971' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:40 AM
TBH I would go with the petrol car. 5k a year isnt much and the diesels arent that economical unless they are on a run(about 5 miles before they are warm enough to return good mpg). The 530i is a proven reliable engine without any of the problems the diesels sometimes have(swirl flaps, turbo failures, breather problems etc.) and you wont be saving anything fuel wise over 5 k miles in the diesel. 530i E60 are out thre and you will find one with the right spec if you keep looking.
+1

and please do take head on what is said about the issues with turbo, swirl flaps, breather problems,... thats really important to factor in. Its always going to be difficult to sort issues out with so many variables in the diesel engine. I am not a technician and I hate to be out in the cold trying to fix my car. I tend to do it at the dealership and part with my hard earned cash. But if they can't sort it either, then its a no win situation.

My previous car was a petrol turbo car (Volvo T5) and I assure you, when boost drops, fuel figures are going haywire, its madness to sort out. I spent hours on forums to gather info which I then used with the volvo service people. If I didn't they would never get around to diagnosing.

cheers
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Members

My Ride: Completely standard (but well specced) 530d 2006

If you are only doing 5K a year the petrol is the way to go. The diesel is not very efficient in town and needs a good run to boost the mpg figures.

The 525i is not far behind on pace with better consumption, that might increase your search options.

There must be a well speced 530i out there somewhere, keep on looking
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Members

id go with 530d, cant see a 3.0l petrol engines mpg bettering 15-18mpg around town, the diesel could be around 30mpg.

If the engine has the old breather filter then the parts are ?17 to sort it ! Potential turbo failure is part of the lottery of owning any turbo car, and the swirl flaps are easily removed if they make you nervy, dont think any of these items should put you off a superb engine.

I dont think the 3.0l petrol is without its problems that will be costly to sort at any dealer.

The only negative to the diesel is the extra noise over the sweet petrol motor, but the torque does kind of make up for it.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Contributors

dont ask other people to influence you, take them both out for a test drive...make your own mind up...then buy the diesel...

35+ mpg round town over 40mpg on a run and enough torque to make you smile.
im biased, but to me its a no brainer the way things are going, forget swirl flap problems...yes its important but for ?100 you can fix it easily.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Apparently based on UK fuel prices and (new) purchase costs, a 530D never breaks even compared to a 530i !!!!

See http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/#
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Fatso,

I am an out-and-out petrolhead. I hate diesels, and I should recommend you get a silky smooth petrol 3 litre and blow the fuel costs - driving is for enjoyment remember, before our Nanny State legislates us off the road.

BUT, do drive a diesel 530 or 535, because you may well be converted - the endless torque is phenominal. A similarly powered petrol car will be just a bit quicker if you rev it to the red line all the time, but day to day, the Dirty Diesel will be quicker, less frenetic and much more relaxing if you can put up with the (minimal) vibes.

As you can see from my Sig, I WAS converted, and I still love the engine (I'm on my 3rd 3 litre d).

Mike

Quick Reply: advice - 530i or 530d