E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Advanced question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

When a US Spec car has a bluetooth cradle installed and working...the owner should be able to change the snap-in adapter after buying a new phone and it should work. This does not seem to be the case. Going from a working T610 to a V710 adapter the unit will not charge. The dealer made mention of a need to initialize the cradle. They did say however, that this should not be neccessary. Is there a way to initialize the cradle or should it just work as you move from phone to phone?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Guessing here - why would a cradle need initialization? It's power and antenna physical wiring links. The car doesn't know what kind of phone you have - or they'd have to program into the system all of the new models that come out each month to allow them to be paired. And if you don't need to know the model to pair it, why then would you need to know the model to charge it or plug into an antenna.

I have seen comments somewhere about changing the software settings to "see a non-BMW phone." That was related to putting a non-BMW version v60 into the BMW CPT9000 cradle. It's possible the car thinks the v710 is supposed to be a CTP9000, but then the T610 shouldn't have worked - confusing.

Further, still guessing, there were comments put up here somewhere about some phones' pinouts not being the same across models, which, if you had a v600 cradle and stuck and v551 into it, and the pinout was different, it's conceivable that it wouldn't charge.

But, the plug in AC adaptors seem to work universally, and it would seem obvious to have the in-car Moto adaptors pinned out universally as well.

Food for thought. Also, is it possible to go to a Verizon store and try a couple of demo models of similar Moto phones, to see if any of them work?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributors

I had by back seat out recently, for reasons to be shard later, and there's a wiring whip under the seat that's not plugged in. I don't have a pic to post, but it was labelled something like phone charger. Is it at all possible that the different cradles have different voltage requirements and therefore different inbound connections, or would that all be handled via a transformer in the snap-in cradle?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by John W' date='Mar 10 2005, 12:36 PM
Guessing here - why would a cradle need initialization?? It's power and antenna physical wiring links.? The car doesn't know what kind of phone you have - or they'd have to program into the system all of the new models that come out each month to allow them to be paired.? And if you don't need to know the model to pair it, why then would you need to know the model to charge it or plug into an antenna.?

I have seen comments somewhere about changing the software settings to "see a non-BMW phone."? That was related to putting a non-BMW version v60 into the BMW CPT9000 cradle.? It's possible the car thinks the v710 is supposed to be a CTP9000, but then the T610 shouldn't have worked - confusing.

Further, still guessing, there were comments put up here somewhere about some phones' pinouts not being the same across models, which, if you had a v600 cradle and stuck and v551 into it, and the pinout was different, it's conceivable that it wouldn't charge.?

But, the plug in AC adaptors seem to work universally, and it would seem obvious to have the in-car Moto adaptors pinned out universally as well.

Food for thought. Also, is it possible to go to a Verizon store and try a couple of demo models of similar Moto phones, to see if any of them work?
[snapback]99619[/snapback]
I provided in another thread the actual Motorola data showing common power adapters across v6xx and v5xx series phones. And I proved it in person with a common power source on a v600 and v551. I am confident that those will work in common adapter. And that is also borne out by some over BMW vehicle use such as the X5. In family I believe it is one thing.

But I see what ledbettm is getting at if you changed to a phone that used a different adapter - what could possibly have to be done to swap adapters as logically they plug into a common power/antenna box. Your suggestion could be true regard what the vehicle might assume as a CPT vs non-CPT but surely BMW would not do this. And as u say possibly a different voltage source required. But it makes more sense for the phone mfrs to assume 12vdc and let the cradle step it down to the ~3-6 vdc I see in use by most mfrs.

It sure would be nice if we could get to a source of communications expertise within BMW to sort all these questions out. We do more research than the dealers do. They appear to ask one question, get an answer from anyone and take that as gospel until one of us shows up with info to the contrary.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

The snap-in adapters do step down the power from 12v as this is what is found at the base plate which is universal for all snap-in adapters. I am concerned because I have reviewed wiring diagrams for the TCU and phone plug in under the center console and it does not appear that coding will change the fact that the pin set-up remain constant. I think it is something like pin 32 on the tcu and pin 2 on the plug in the center console provide 12v. The only thing that appears as though could vary is the 'call' for power. I am not even sure how the phone or the snap-in can 'tell' when the phone is fully charged.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I managed to put together a document from TIS that goes over the "Universal charger and (bluetooth) hands-free system" in great detail.

Keep in mind that the information is about a year old so it explains BT as it pertained to the GSM cars (Europe) since BT wasn't available in the US until more recently. I assume that most of the information is carried over to the US BT implementation but then again, you never know.

As always, click the [more ...] links on the first seven pages or use the bookmarks to get around...

Master_SBT__Universal_charger_and_hands_free_system_E60.pdf
Old 03-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 10 2005, 11:59 PM
I managed to put together a document from TIS that goes over the "Universal charger and (bluetooth) hands-free system" in great detail.

Keep in mind that the information is about a year old so it explains BT as it pertained to the GSM cars (Europe) since BT wasn't available in the US until more recently.? I assume that most of the information is carried over to the US BT implementation but then again, you never know.

As always, click the [more ...] links on the first few pages or use the bookmarks to get around...

Attachment 5631
[snapback]99910[/snapback]
Rudy, as always you are there with the needed info It really seems to be as we have all speculated. However, the key may be to tell the parts/service people OPTION 644 to get them looking in the right direction. And as we know, more adapters have become available.

Nonetheless, it does not explain some of the symptoms ledbettm has run into when one adapter works and another does not. Of course it could be as simple as a bad adapter.

Armed with this info you provided will help a lot of us. Again many thanks.

I knew wishing you a belated Birthday greeting would pay off
Old 03-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 11 2005, 12:59 AM

Keep in mind that the information is about a year old so it explains BT as it pertained to the GSM cars (Europe) since BT wasn't available in the US until more recently.? I assume that most of the information is carried over to the US BT implementation but then again, you never know.

As always, click the [more ...] links on the first few pages or use the bookmarks to get around...

Attachment 5631
[snapback]99910[/snapback]
Great document Rudy, thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Ok, where were we. Oh yea. Picked up car from service having had my display replaced (CID went blank).

While there, I tried a fit check with the eject box # 84 11 6 946 537 and my snap in adapter for Motorola v6xx/v5xx. Does not fit physically. Then we ran search on Option 644. That came up with part number 51 167 139 000. Ordered right then, and they will keep my adapter on site so they can see if it fits that box when it comes in. I have a drawing of poor quality below of the page showing option. The part is number 14 on drawing. The SA, parts guy and I gathered around a parts list and went thru some of the part numbers we have floated around the forum here. When we looked up 84 11 6 946 537 it came up as valid to 9/04. Furthermore, it had additional comments about supplying power to phone (not Bluetooth ? assume CPT9000). From 9/04 and newer it showed a part number of 84 21 6 946 075 and indicated it was for Bluetooth phone systems. No comments about supplying power were included but I did not find that as unusual ? it?s a part list. As we drilled down the parts list it also looked like the -075 came with a snap in adapter, but I think that might have been for illustration purposes only. Conjecture was this -075 will be in the Option 644 kit. They have had no experience with this yet so everything we do is breaking new ground. Of course the discussion ensued there about where would power and antenna connection come from. I told them I expected to find those necessary cables/wires tied back as we have seen in several threads here on the CPT9000 and others in DIY. 644 kit due in Wednesday so I?ll not know more until at least then.
Attached Thumbnails Advanced question-opt644.jpg  
Old 03-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Mar 10 2005, 11:29 AM
When a US Spec car has a bluetooth cradle installed and working...the owner should be able to change the snap-in adapter after buying a new phone and it should work. This does not seem to be the case. Going from a working T610 to a V710 adapter the unit will not charge. The dealer made mention of a need to initialize the cradle. They did say however, that this should not be neccessary. Is there a way to initialize the cradle or should it just work as you move from phone to phone?
[snapback]99594[/snapback]
I had a Nokia 6310 and bought a cradle - worked fine when I figured out how to install the cradle. The dealer had to show me how. Then I swapped phone to a Motorola V620 and I sold the other snap-in adapter on eBay. Now I have a Motorola V600 snap-in adapter. Took a few secs to install and again works fine. No initialization done. I must say the motorola phones seem to work excellent with the car. Also modified all my phone book entries to make easier in the car and this works a treat (have entries like Fred - Home, Fred - Work, Fred - Mobile - rather than one entry with 3 numbers which does not sync across bluetooth very well).

So the centre console seems to be snap-in, snap-out and works very easily.

Quick Reply: Advanced question