E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530D Sport

Hi Guys my 2005 530D Sport Auto has a problem.
Its only done 67,000 miles.
Don?t know if this is related but 3 months ago my turbo seized up with oil, it was taken apart, reconditioned and now works like new, new breather was also fitted.
I think it was my fault as I went 2 years without changing oil.. stupid.

Anyway last week had the coolant low warning come up and I went to add coolant but it there was grey sludgy water in the coolant tank!! aah The car has never over heated or ever got near to it as I don?t drive it very much just 10-15 miles a day
So my local indy took the head apart sent it away for testing, head skim and clean. It came back looking like new! So the head was not cracked thankfully.
Engine was put back together on Friday and coolant was flushed with bleach after running for 30 mins, a lot of grey gunk came out but on 3rd flush it was mostly clear water, engine seemed to be running quieter so we thought problem was solved. I have only drove it few miles on Friday and gave it a run on motorway for few mins to clean exhaust out as there was some smoke. The car also had an extra punch of power!

Took it to garage for a check up on Saturday and all seemed ok no leaks were showing anywhere.

Now Today started it up this morning and ting "Coolant Level Low"
So I had a look in coolant tank and yes that grey sludge was back

I will be going to my Indy tomorrow to see what?s what but does anyone have any ideas of what it can be? I have read it could be something to do with the ATF?

Have attached some pics of when head was cleaned and some I took just now of oil cap and coolant tank
thanks

Ad
Attached Thumbnails Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha-imag0013-2-.jpg   Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha-imag0033.jpg   Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha-imag0037.jpg   Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha-imag6542.jpg   Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha-imag6544.jpg  

Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha-imag6546.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

assuming the head gasket and head is ok......
is the turbo water cooled? maybe oil is somehow getting in to the coolant?
also, not sure about your car specifically, but does the engine oil cooler run into the radiator? could be a bad radiator.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
assuming the head gasket and head is ok......
is the turbo water cooled? maybe oil is somehow getting in to the coolant?
also, not sure about your car specifically, but does the engine oil cooler run into the radiator? could be a bad radiator.
hopefully its the oil cooler!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

maybe residual from the work done, change the oil and drive it a good thirty miles to hopefully get all the moisture out.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Members

Hey guys thanks for feedback it looks like it may just be oil left over in the expansion tank, thank god, just trying to give it a good clean out and hopefully that has sorted the problem.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Members

ps new oil was already put in
Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xephar
ps new oil was already put in
It is what it is...

You can drive it for a good thirty miles and see if the moisture will work out of the system but like I said this is only a possibility seeing how much the motor was torn down.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
It is what it is...

You can drive it for a good thirty miles and see if the moisture will work out of the system but like I said this is only a possibility seeing how much the motor was torn down.

is it best to drive or leave it running for an hour or so?

Have put all sorts of stuff in the expansion tank to clean oil out but still loads in the system will flush out again 2moro

anyone have any good suggestion of flushing the oil out?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

is there coolant in the engine oil too? been keep track of the oil level?
if you have coolant in the engine oil too, i would definetly not being driving or running the car.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Contributors

if the oil level rises or the coolant level lowers stop, you have more extensive problems.

Quick Reply: Adivice please, Gasket stripped cleaned and checked , Coolant still ha