E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Additional weight of optional seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Does anyone know the extra weight from the sports/comfortseats?

I read somewhere that the comfortseats add 60kgs/seat, this looks really alot to me, so if anyone has some realy numbers then please share them.

Currently I got a 525d on order with comfortseats, if they really add so much weight I might reconsider them.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Members

The figures I have read in tests have been +20kg/seat =+40kg in total. This is one of the reasons I skipped the comfort seats....
Old 03-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Thumbs down

Comfort seat are great. They adjust to your body so well. They are worth the extra weight. I regret I didn't get them.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Members

A comment about comfort seats. I bought a '97 540i-6sp (New May '98) and decided I didn't want the sport seats which were mostly manual. In '97 the standard seat was an option on the 6-sp. They were the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Actually drove 13 hrs straight (Cincinnati to Jacksonville, FL) with no fatigue.

May 2000 I traded it in on a 2000 540i-6sp (same color, etc) but BMW didn't offer the standard seat but offered the comfort as an option (not avail in '97). Car and Driver reported that the comfort seat "is the best seat on the planet" so I did it. Unfortunately, the comfort seat NEVER was as comfortable as the standard seat in my '97.

The problem was that there are so many adjustments that if you change any one, it effects all others. I spent months experimenting and finally gave up and used the best compromise. The compromise was never as comfortable as the plain Jane 10 way std seat.

My salesman told me that he had heard the same story from other customers. So, I have a 545i-6sp on order, expect delivery in late April (completed production date 3/17/04, ordered 2/27/04). Stats: Silver Gray, Gray Leather, Nav, Split Rear Seats, Sirius Pre Wire and 12 way Sport Seats. I won't own a comfort seat again.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I've heard that more than a few times. I've heard that some people with Comfort Seats actually get a sore back from them. They spend so much time trying to get all the adjustments just right.

To each is own though.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:35 AM
Members

Interesting comments...I test drove the 545i w/Sport Seats and came away feeling as if I was sitting on plywood. I found them rigid and uncomfortable and ended up ordering the Sport Package but with the Comfort Seats. Why all the messing around with seat configuration? I'm assuming I'll do that once...program the memory and not have to worry about it again. What am I missing?
Old 03-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

You're missing one big point - some of us may have different desires for different conditions and styles of driving. Taking the car for a sporty spin on a curvy road doesn't require the same way of sitting as cruising along in heavy city traffic - and vice versa. Therefore having the ability to switch positions electrically on the seat is a great asset.

In my opinion the sports seats are great - and my grandfather is the only one commenting firmness and rigidity. The only comfort seats I've tested were those of an E65 730d - and they were impressive - extremely soft, yet allowing a more sporty setting if desired.

-paasan
Old 03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Members

With the two memory pre-sets you can set one for "sporty spins" and the other for "heavy city traffic"...sorry, just being wise but you deserve it for the grandpa crack . To each his own but I'm really surprised that people have found the Sport seats to be comfortable...just looking at them hurts my @ss.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drinkh20' date='Mar 31 2004, 03:58 PM
With the two memory pre-sets you can set one for "sporty spins" and the other for "heavy city traffic"...sorry, just being wise but you deserve it for the grandpa crack .? To each his own but I'm really surprised that people have found the Sport seats to be comfortable...just looking at them hurts my @ss.
True, but when I went through the ordering process I came to the following conclusion:

1. Standard seats are horrible. I am suprised that BMW dares to call them seats.
2. Sport seats: more comfortable over the standard seats and give better side support. And best of all they are reasonable priced.
3. Comfort seats: Truely amazing. More side support over the sport seats. Additional lumbard support. Too many ways to adjust. But way to overpriced!

I hesitated long over whether to get the sports or comfortseats and ended up with the comfortseats because currently my back starts hurting after a drive of 100km (60 miles), otherwise I would of ordered the sportseats for sure because they are the best value for money you can buy.

One additional note, why the hell did they changed the memory presets from 3 different settings to only 2??? IMO I already found 3 presets way to less especially if you want to assign one of them to your wife/girlfriend! What the hell was BMW thinking again?!?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

The system is supposed to remember four presets. Consequently you'll have to purchase two more keys to utilise this possibility.

-paasan

Quick Reply: Additional weight of optional seats?