E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adding to the stable...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Billy Boat w/ y-resonator removed.

Time to replace my wifes car - so I got her a 2007 335i with premium, sport, cold weather, auto, paddles...

We bought it from a dealer 137 miles away from our house. Eveything was going great... until...

BAM!! I hit a huge pot hole on I-94 going 85mph and put a hole the size of my pinky into the run flats.

Funny conversation with BMW Assist too~

BMW Assist - "Are you in a safe place?"

ME - Yes.

"Good, we are glad to hear your car is safe."

Um, okay. We're alright too.

"What's your problem?"

blah, blah, blah

"Do you have a spare tire?"

No. BMW equipped the car with run flats and as such did not see a reason to provide a spare tire.

"Well, most people will buy one and carry it anyway."

We just picked up the car TONIGHT.

"Yes, well a spare would be very good for you to have right now considering how far from home you are."

Um, thanks for that insight. I am truly appreciating German forethought, engineering, and sense of humor at this point.

"We will arrange for a two truck and if needed transport for you. Can you stay with the car, is the car safe?"

Good stuff. Towed it to our local BMW dealer. New tire ($400) and alignment ($189) later and all is well.

It'll join the recently added 545~ (you know there is a Billy Boat for 335i coming soon...)

Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Members

I bet that xi option looks real good right now! My local dealer gives me an anthracite 335xi to use when I bring mine in, and my oh my do I like the
335 either way! Good choice, get a good set of snows, you will really apreciate it!!!

Originally Posted by Jack be Quick' post='767261' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:52 PM
Time to replace my wifes car - so I got her a 2007 335i with premium, sport, cold weather, auto, paddles...

We bought it from a dealer 137 miles away from our house. Eveything was going great... until...

BAM!! I hit a huge pot hole on I-94 going 85mph and put a hole the size of my pinky into the run flats.

Funny conversation with BMW Assist too~

BMW Assist - "Are you in a safe place?"

ME - Yes.

"Good, we are glad to hear your car is safe."

Um, okay. We're alright too.

"What's your problem?"

blah, blah, blah

"Do you have a spare tire?"

No. BMW equipped the car with run flats and as such did not see a reason to provide a spare tire.

"Well, most people will buy one and carry it anyway."

We just picked up the car TONIGHT.

"Yes, well a spare would be very good for you to have right now considering how far from home you are."

Um, thanks for that insight. I am truly appreciating German forethought, engineering, and sense of humor at this point.

"We will arrange for a two truck and if needed transport for you. Can you stay with the car, is the car safe?"

Good stuff. Towed it to our local BMW dealer. New tire ($400) and alignment ($189) later and all is well.

It'll join the recently added 545~ (you know there is a Billy Boat for 335i coming soon...)

Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

VERY NICE!!!! I love the white stuff.... oh yes... the 335 too.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man, but congrats on the new addition
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Congrats on the new car! It looks great!
Interesting phone call though...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

I'm confused. Whats the point of having runflats if your not going to limp home on it? Sounds like an expensive, noisy, uncomfortable, waste of engineering if your not going to take advantage of it.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt know run flats are noisier... I have both winter and summer run flats
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Billy Boat w/ y-resonator removed.

I was lucky to get off the highway with the run flat between the big 'ol hole in the tire and the shake. I couldn't have driven more then 25 mph on the tire and I was 70 miles from home. Plus, I didn't think the tire was really going to protect the rim.

As it turns out, I guess I didn't need to worry about the rim. Dealer called me this morning while I was on way out to pick up the car - the tire went flat so the rim is cracked. So, $500 for a new rim.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Jack be Quick' post='767829' date='Jan 14 2009, 01:53 PM
I was lucky to get off the highway with the run flat between the big 'ol hole in the tire and the shake. I couldn't have driven more then 25 mph on the tire and I was 70 miles from home. Plus, I didn't think the tire was really going to protect the rim.

As it turns out, I guess I didn't need to worry about the rim. Dealer called me this morning while I was on way out to pick up the car - the tire went flat so the rim is cracked. So, $500 for a new rim.
So even with run flats you got a cracked rim....that's nice! I love the BMW assist conversation, especially that they only make sure the car is safe! I'm glad I didn't pay for that.

Congrats on the new car btw and I'm glad you are safe!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

congrats on the new car.. and thanks for sharing your story on your experience with BMW assist..

Quick Reply: Adding to the stable...