E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is this an addiction I need to stay away from???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone: 2004 530i, Silver, Black interior Sport package, Nav, HUD, Xenons New: 2007 550i Sport, Silver, Black, SMG 2005 M3 Phoenix Yellow, Black, SMG

Hi, my name is James, and I'm a potential addict. I've recently joined this site, but I've been lurking for awhile and just want to "vent" (better than saying that I want to "share"). I've been a German car nut for a long time. I drove a girlfriend's dad's Audi A100 several times when I was in my teens in the late 70s and loved it (back when GM and Ford ruled the roads, to heck with Jap crap, and German cars were cool but just weird!!), and drove a buddy's early 80s 320i a few times in my 20s and loved tossing it around. Then I drove different Mercedes for a dozen years that I loved (and which I'm sure most of you jeer at) and avoided BMWs because they were such a preppy/trendy car to have around Dallas...every "bowhead" had a 3 series because they were sooo cuuute. My sister-in-law recently bought an E60 and hated it because it didn't have enough storage space like her Durango did...but is starting to like it because people notice her. Sigh. I drive about 40K miles a year and am currently driving a super-reliable, comfortable, dependable, affordable, older, "high end" Japanese car because the benzes left me on the curb (or driving loaners) too much. Hey, stop rolling your eyes, at least it's rear wheel drive!! I've put 100K on the car with barely a hint of trouble and actually halfway enjoy driving it - not because it's exciting, but because it's comfortable, quiet, quick, and everything works, particularly the subzero A/C. It doesn't lurch in traffic, it doesn't have any weird glitches that "oh a software update will fix", it will easily go another 100/200K miles, just like my refrigerator. But golly, I have a woody for a 5. I drove an '04 545i with super low miles recently. It was in another world. It just fits. It's just right. It just gets it. I can't describe the feeling, but I'm writing this because I know y'all know the feeling too. My sensible, Scottish, Virgo, level-headed, conservative, logical minded side said "yeah, cool, whatever, the BMW is fun. But, dorko, stick with a "flawless", paid-for car that will go a few more years". I let that 545i go, despite a great price, great $$ on my trade-in, low financing, great sales guy, blah blah. So in the wee hours of the morning I cruise the Internet for more. I found another 545, same color (silver, charcoal), but with the sport package. Even more edgy. More expensive tires to ruin on my semi-rural commute. Even less sensible. I drove past it, touched its propeller nose, and called the sales guy a few times, but never got the guts to go drive it. Then I called the number and made an appointment. I drove it today. I'm still weak-kneed and need a cigarette. The power is great. The active steering is awesome. The ride is firm but not punishing. It knows what I'm thinking and responds. It was hard not to drool and fall over and pay the guy. The price is higher than the previous 545 (although it's a year newer). The mileage is higher (13k vs. 43K). My trade went from 99K miles to 105K miles since the last 545i and lost $2500 in value. But...I...want...that...fix. I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff and about to fall into an abyss of lust and passion. If I buy this, I'm gonna want to junior-race it on weekends. Then buy an old 3 to play with and rice-up. Oops, not rice, but you know. Then buy the 135i when it comes out next year to blast around in. My non-sensible, impulsive, fun loving, grab-life side says to go for it. I feel like I'm trading my trusty, reliable, loving, dedicated significant other who will always be with me and loves my flaws (not that I have any) for a super-hot fling, but who may leave me high and dry after a few twisty runs. I know I'll want one new high after another. How do you guys handle it? Are you addicted too? Is there a BMW-anonymous? But a little more seriously, do any of you drive a lot of miles and get reasonable reliability out of your car? I don't expect Japanese bullet proof-ness, but I also don't want to spend 15 paychecks each month for repairs. I see some guys on here with a kazillion miles on their cars and they're happy, yet others are kinda shocked at 125-130K on an E60. I'd have to go 150-200K to keep my Virgo side quiet. Have any of you regretted taking the plunge??? What do you do to keep yourselves from hiring the spouse and kids out to slave labor to pay for your addiction?

Thanks for letting me "share"!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by RoadTrip' post='461522' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:29 PM
Hi, my name is James, and I'm a potential addict. I've recently joined this site, but I've been lurking for awhile and just want to "vent" (better than saying that I want to "share"). I've been a German car nut for a long time. I drove a girlfriend's dad's Audi A100 several times when I was in my teens in the late 70s and loved it (back when GM and Ford ruled the roads, to heck with Jap crap, and German cars were cool but just weird!!), and drove a buddy's early 80s 320i a few times in my 20s and loved tossing it around. Then I drove different Mercedes for a dozen years that I loved (and which I'm sure most of you jeer at) and avoided BMWs because they were such a preppy/trendy car to have around Dallas...every "bowhead" had a 3 series because they were sooo cuuute. My sister-in-law recently bought an E60 and hated it because it didn't have enough storage space like her Durango did...but is starting to like it because people notice her. Sigh. I drive about 40K miles a year and am currently driving a super-reliable, comfortable, dependable, affordable, older, "high end" Japanese car because the benzes left me on the curb (or driving loaners) too much. Hey, stop rolling your eyes, at least it's rear wheel drive!! I've put 100K on the car with barely a hint of trouble and actually halfway enjoy driving it - not because it's exciting, but because it's comfortable, quiet, quick, and everything works, particularly the subzero A/C. It doesn't lurch in traffic, it doesn't have any weird glitches that "oh a software update will fix", it will easily go another 100/200K miles, just like my refrigerator. But golly, I have a woody for a 5. I drove an '04 545i with super low miles recently. It was in another world. It just fits. It's just right. It just gets it. I can't describe the feeling, but I'm writing this because I know y'all know the feeling too. My sensible, Scottish, Virgo, level-headed, conservative, logical minded side said "yeah, cool, whatever, the BMW is fun. But, dorko, stick with a "flawless", paid-for car that will go a few more years". I let that 545i go, despite a great price, great $$ on my trade-in, low financing, great sales guy, blah blah. So in the wee hours of the morning I cruise the Internet for more. I found another 545, same color (silver, charcoal), but with the sport package. Even more edgy. More expensive tires to ruin on my semi-rural commute. Even less sensible. I drove past it, touched its propeller nose, and called the sales guy a few times, but never got the guts to go drive it. Then I called the number and made an appointment. I drove it today. I'm still weak-kneed and need a cigarette. The power is great. The active steering is awesome. The ride is firm but not punishing. It knows what I'm thinking and responds. It was hard not to drool and fall over and pay the guy. The price is higher than the previous 545 (although it's a year newer). The mileage is higher (13k vs. 43K). My trade went from 99K miles to 105K miles since the last 545i and lost $2500 in value. But...I...want...that...fix. I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff and about to fall into an abyss of lust and passion. If I buy this, I'm gonna want to junior-race it on weekends. Then buy an old 3 to play with and rice-up. Oops, not rice, but you know. Then buy the 135i when it comes out next year to blast around in. My non-sensible, impulsive, fun loving, grab-life side says to go for it. I feel like I'm trading my trusty, reliable, loving, dedicated significant other who will always be with me and loves my flaws (not that I have any) for a super-hot fling, but who may leave me high and dry after a few twisty runs. I know I'll want one new high after another. How do you guys handle it? Are you addicted too? Is there a BMW-anonymous? But a little more seriously, do any of you drive a lot of miles and get reasonable reliability out of your car? I don't expect Japanese bullet proof-ness, but I also don't want to spend 15 paychecks each month for repairs. I see some guys on here with a kazillion miles on their cars and they're happy, yet others are kinda shocked at 125-130K on an E60. I'd have to go 150-200K to keep my Virgo side quiet. Have any of you regretted taking the plunge??? What do you do to keep yourselves from hiring the spouse and kids out to slave labor to pay for your addiction?

Thanks for letting me "share"!
I think you need to edit and punctuate your windy monolugue into something someone can read though without shrugging you off.

Ray
Old 08-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well I managed to read through it all (even though a few carriage returns would have been nice) and I must say, RoadTrip, my friend, you are officially bitten/addicted and/or screwed!

No other car is going to feed that need -- you're ruined! Just like the rest of us!!

I predict that you'll buy the car and have about 350 posts here by the end of the summer...

Kidding aside, let me try to help you out. First of all, most of us here have respect for other cars -- especially the German ones -- so don't feel the need to justify why you've owned M-B cars in the past. Clearly, they are nice cars (I've spent a ton of time in many M-B models over the years from current models to models dating back to around 1980 -- including a 1966 600 limousine.) You're right though, none of those cars, as nice as they are, feel the way a 545i with the sport package feels. You obviously "get it" when it comes to why we're all here.

Reliability-wise, I'm not one to say that I've cranked up a ton of miles. I put about 32K on my 2004 545iSMG before turning it in for my 2008 550i. I can say that it never stranded me, it always started, it never had to be towed, etc. but sure, it had a few visits to the dealership for various things. Being a 2004, the first year for the E60, it clearly had many things fixed via software updates. Mechanically, aside from a few minor things like squeaking door seals, the car was/is perfect.

I'm sure other, higher-mileage members will chime in but for now, all I can say is read through the forums as much as you can to try to learn about the car. You'll quickly find that this place actually makes the E60 ownership experience even sweeter since collectively we all "get it" and share our enthusiasm for this awesome car with each other across the globe!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

First of all, welcome. Let us know where you are from. Aside from the paragraph formatting, you've got very good writer's blood; that is, if you're not a writer now, it can be a good side or backup career/job.

I had always been a Japanese fan especially of Lexus and did not care must for MB or BMW because I thought they were overpriced. Long story short, I travel 60+ miles a day (Houston has become the costliest commuter town) with a faithful Toyota Camry V6. But when a good deal on a new 545i came knocking, I took the plunge but kept Camry too. It was a moment of "Eureka" after a month of driving the bimmer. It's the best enjoyment for the price and still going strong after 2 years now.

So, keep your old faithful if you can, and buy the 545i for occasional or weekend drive. Then you don't have to worry about stacking miles on her and reliability issues as much. The only problem is that every time you drive her, you'll drive her hard.

Remember, she's more enjoyable on the OPEN roads than in TRAFFIC - cause any car with a comfortable seat and ice cold A/C will do when you are sitting in traffic.

One last thing, make absolutely sure she's problem free and not someone's b --- h.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. aside from what these guys said, agreeing with them, enjoy the forums.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

They are great cars. The best way to get a great deal on a BMW is to do Euro Delivery and lease the car.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: Gone: 2004 530i, Silver, Black interior Sport package, Nav, HUD, Xenons New: 2007 550i Sport, Silver, Black, SMG 2005 M3 Phoenix Yellow, Black, SMG

I apologize for the long post. I don't seem to have an edit button to use to clean it up.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Members

Road trip,

It never fails to amaze Me that people who obviously enjoy their cars/driving dont have BMW's.

I know and dont care that I am a snob when it comes to cars, I really like BMW's.

My E60 is my 6th BMW on the trot and I feel the same if not more as to the day I first set eyes on My first 320.

If in the past I harboured any notion of changing makes for whatever reason My wife would say 'you need to get a BMW'

I have always tried to encourage family and freinds to invest in a BMW when the subject of a new car comes up. The feeling of driving a BMW and the looks you get wether nice ones or bad ones will make you realise this brand is awsome. BUT there is a lot of road users out there who really dont like them and will resent the fact you have one.

If you are serious about buying the E60, get it you wont regret it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Members

James -- I'm in much the same boat as you...or at least I was. I too live in the Dallas area. I too was driving a nice paid-for Japanese snoozemobile on my daily commute. Not that I didn't like the car, I was just getting restless. Then I few months ago I got the 545 bug, just like you. I bought an '04 model with Steptonic and the Sport package with 30k miles on it and HOLY COW did that ever spice up my drive time!! I highly recommend it.

Yeah, sure, the tires are insanely expensive and last an inexcusably short time. Yeah, sure, the gas mileage is unforgiveable -- especially in the "honeymoon period" where you find yourself wondering, "If I pop it into DS, can I hit 120 before the top of that next hill?" and quickly discovering that the answer is always "why, OF COURSE I can!!". Yeah, sure, it has pathetic cupholders. Who cares? At the end of the day you'll have a car...a very very sweet car...that fits you like a glove, that operates like an extension of your being, and that reads your mind like your wife wishes she could.

Good luck on your decision.

- Mark
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Holy crap! Whatever you're on, dude, take it easy! I am thinking bipolar....in the manic phase. Take a few breaths, sleep on it, and chill. Go buy a new 550i and get 'er done!

Quick Reply: Is this an addiction I need to stay away from???