5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Added Aux plug to Console (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/added-aux-plug-console-111031/)

gregs528xi 03-12-2011 11:08 AM

Hi everyone after reading the forums and not finding what I needed I cam up with an idea to add my own. I took the aux audio plug from the back of the console and called RealOEM.com parts and got the same plug for the console Part # 61 31 6 986 791 for 29.00. I took the AC vent from the inside console and cut off the inlet tub and added a hole big enough to fix the plug in it. Plugged my GPS or Nano in and the sound is the same, and the name of the group and song comes up on the display were the factory GPS would be. I added a 12 volt power plug for other items down the road. The Aux audio plug in the back seat is dead but it looks like it works, every thing seams to work great I thought I would pass a long what I think is a work around for the Aux audio plug. :twoup:

Sublime 03-12-2011 06:49 PM

Can you post a pic of exactly what you did? Sounds intriguing but I am not sure I fully understand.

gregs528xi 03-13-2011 12:48 PM

I can take some picts on Monday, i will get them up monday night for you, the job was easy it was just getting out the console. It wasnt as bad know that its done. I was supriced to have all the sirius inormation on the dash.

NoQuarter 03-13-2011 12:54 PM

So you are get sirius information in the idrive display from plugging an mp3 player into a relocated aux input?

What work around for the aux plug are you referring to?

gregs528xi 03-13-2011 01:22 PM

well on my car 08 528 the rear aux jack in the back of the console facing the back seat, i ordered a replacment one then took the wire from were the old one was, cut a hole in the arm rest box put the new one there, what it does is makes the back one for show only and puts the working one in the box and out of site i also added a power plug for other things. Mine gives my the name of the artise the song name right on the display

NoQuarter 03-13-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by gregs528xi (Post 1316929)
well on my car 08 528 the rear aux jack in the back of the console facing the back seat, i ordered a replacment one then took the wire from were the old one was, cut a hole in the arm rest box put the new one there, what it does is makes the back one for show only and puts the working one in the box and out of site i also added a power plug for other things. Mine gives my the name of the artise the song name right on the display

So this is a USB jack then (nothing to do with sirius).

Sounds pretty handy. Those rear jacks are rediculous.

You should look at revisiting that and and make an extension cable so that the rear one stays working and you extend it to the one you put under the center armrest.
It is just bad form to have non-working parts in a BMW :P

I bet taking that center console out the first time was a treat!

gregs528xi 03-13-2011 01:54 PM

I tryed to add a y plug at first, but there was no way for the idrive to tell witch one you want to work an there was also no display in the unit. I added a usb four port plug to the box also for charging other items. This was done by adding a 12 volt cig, lighter with a y cable in it and pluging in a 12 volt to usb adapter.

NoQuarter 03-13-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by gregs528xi (Post 1316940)
I tryed to add a y plug at first, but there was no way for the idrive to tell witch one you want to work an there was also no display in the unit. I added a usb four port plug to the box also for charging other items. This was done by adding a 12 volt cig, lighter with a y cable in it and pluging in a 12 volt to usb adapter.

Too bad the Y splitter didn't work - woulda been pretty cool.

Sublime 03-14-2011 12:07 PM

USB makes so much more sense....

Great work!

petertn 09-16-2014 08:34 PM

Anyone know how to relocate that rear aux? What's involved?