5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Adaptive lights (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/adaptive-lights-1114/)

DVBert 05-25-2004 02:00 PM

Are the adaptive lights really noticable?
I'm thinking about adding it to my option list but i'm not sure if you will really see the difference comparing to normal xenons

zippers525 05-25-2004 03:37 PM

From what i uderstand the only differences is that the headlights turn and the lights are brighter. I love them. I can barely drive a car without them now. You can deffinatly tell you have them. Whenever you make a turn the lights turn. It fun to just play with them.

legalman 05-25-2004 04:47 PM

I agree with zippers -- the adaptive headlights are very noticeable when you move the steering wheel while the car is moving. I did not notice any motion of the headlights when the wheel was turned while the car was standing still. The lights also move when the car is first started, with the lights moving downward in the first few seconds after the car is started at night. I wonder what it looks like to the oncoming drivers.

JDN 05-25-2004 04:51 PM

I find them very subtle. Once you notice them, they are really helpful. Got to have the switch set to auto for them to work. 'Course I like the whole lighting package that comes with the 545 SP plus all the other goodies. But I never promised anybody I would ever grow up and act my age.

Rudy 05-25-2004 06:58 PM

DVBert, as I mentioned in another thread:

Just get them! You won't regret it!! They're worth every penny and more.

As JDN said, they're subtle but only if you're not concentrating on them. To me, that's how they should work -- in the background and perfectly.

I just got back from about an hour drive, mostly on the highway but the last five miles were on some 35mph (posted) twisties. When you're on the highway, they move but you don't really notice it since the movement is speed sensitive and related to steering input. During the last five miles, you can clearly see the lights tracking the road exactly where the road (and you) are going. I've had the car over a month and I still am amazed at how accurate and perfect they work. Keep in mind that on the slower, more twisty roads, steering input is greater and the speed is slower so the lights move more to follow the road. If I didn't know better, I'd swear the darn car had eyes that could actually see the curvature of the road ahead!!

Again, they work so well that you don't even think about them moving, you just drive. If you choose to think about them, you'll be amazed.

heezy545i 05-25-2004 09:52 PM

Adaptive lights are nice and they do their job, but I don't think they are a must have. I have a 3 series loaner at the moment and I don't miss the adaptive lights at all.

Xenons or HIDs are the most important part. If they can be had without the adaptive feature, I'd consider that route if you want to save some money.

rollee 05-26-2004 08:39 PM

adaptives works well.
i was flying from ramp through ramp and the headlights points into the curve, very cool expecially wahen you are driving fast.
very slick.