E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive Headlights Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D
Model Year: 2006

My 535D has adaptive headlights, i.e the full beam will move in the direction of the steering wheel.

My car was recently involved in a car accident and I've not long had it back. One thing I've noticed, is im 99% sure the headlights are not moving at all.

Im sure when the car was previously stationary, with the full beam on, if I took the steering wheel from the far left position to the far right position the lights would automatically move and this was clearly visible. However this is not the case now.

Can anyone confirm if the lights should move when the car is stationary?

Adam
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

What position is your headlight switch in when you test this? It must be in 'auto' to move with the steering.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Is the green LED blinking next to the switch? Are you sure you are in "auto" mode? If the light is blinking the auto function is not functioning properly.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Members

Also, when stationary, I believe they will only turn to the right. When moving, they will turn both directions
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D
Model Year: 2006

Lights are always in the Auto position.
The green light is on perminantly.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Adam1v
Lights are always in the Auto position.
The green light is on perminantly.

My headlights move BOTH directions when stationary.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver 08 550 sport

This is true, I had an issue with my 04 545 with the light blinking.... The motor was bad took the car in for service and they replaced the the head lamp unit.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by ADD
My headlights move BOTH directions when stationary.
I have that feature on my E93. I just hate it and it is something that will eventually break and will need $$$ to fix. I have one quick question, before I go to the dealer: when stationary and moving the wheel from left to right, both headlights turn all the way to the right. When I move the wheel from right to left, the right headlight will turn all the way to the left while the left headlight stops at center.

Is this normal? I presume that it is because you don't want to be blinding cars that are coming from the opposite way. Does that make sense?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I have that feature on my E93. I just hate it and it is something that will eventually break and will need $$$ to fix. I have one quick question, before I go to the dealer: when stationary and moving the wheel from left to right, both headlights turn all the way to the right. When I move the wheel from right to left, the right headlight will turn all the way to the left while the left headlight stops at center.

Is this normal? I presume that it is because you don't want to be blinding cars that are coming from the opposite way. Does that make sense?
Quote from BMW website...

The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.

Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights left or right so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.

Headlight beam throw control (a model-specific function) means the front headlights are raised at high speeds and lowered at slower speeds, which results in a wider beam for inner-city driving.

The adaptive headlight range control (a model-specific function) takes into consideration the vertical curve of the road. The headlight beam throw control is lowered when driving over a knoll and raised when the vehicle is in a dip.

The result: every single curve is illuminated and the oncoming traffic isn?t dazzled unnecessarily. Driving at night is even safer, particularly when visibility is poor.

Adaptive Headlights are only active when the vehicle is pulling away. They stay switched off when the BMW is in reverse and when the steering wheel is turned to the left while the vehicle is stationary (e.g. when pulling out of a parallel parking space) to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Adaptive Headlights are complemented by cornering lights. These are automatically activated at speeds of up to 70 km/h and improve visibility in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle, which is useful when driving along hairpin bends, turning or parking.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Thanks ADD, just the answer I was looking for. Happy Holidays!!