E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive headlights

whats up guys, well apparently one of my headlights adaptive system is gone (driver side) so as Im driving passenger side headlight works however that shit goes up way high, anybody know how to calibrate this so that im not blinding pilots in the sky.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

so driver side dont work, and passenger is pointing up?
does passenger point straight if you manually turn lights on, instead of auto?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Are you getting any errors, Is the little green light on the headlight switch flashing or solid?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
so driver side dont work, and passenger is pointing up?
does passenger point straight if you manually turn lights on, instead of auto?
Yea, thats exactly whats going on and yea ive turned them on manually and stilll points up too high, I see things better on the road with the one that is not actually working cuz it lights up the street better.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Are you getting any errors, Is the little green light on the headlight switch flashing or solid?
no i didnt get any error codes but yea my green light bulb blinks due to the fact that one of the adaptive headlights is not operating as it should and I think its the driver side cuz thats the one with the broken panel behind the headlight.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by docsilva
no i didnt get any error codes but yea my green light bulb blinks due to the fact that one of the adaptive headlights is not operating as it should and I think its the driver side cuz thats the one with the broken panel behind the headlight.
Broken panel? Maybe water got in there and shorted something? I would definitely get it checked and replace that broken panel ASAP
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM
New Members

yea, thats what a previous member told me, that water or humidity had gotten to it, however thats not the one really bothering me its the one thats actually working because the beam of light goes a little too high, thats the one i was asking for if there is any calibration for the one thats working.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Contributors

I think the AHL modules are controlled by the LM (LM1 or LM2 depending on your build date) module. The AHL module could be faulty or simply the little servo that controls the movement could be faulty.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM
New Members

shit bro, Im lost with that lol I was also thinking of replacing my headlights but Dayum they are expensive, by the way bro i was checking out your bimmer it is really nice
good set up, i wanna get the m front for mine.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by docsilva
shit bro, Im lost with that lol I was also thinking of replacing my headlights but Dayum they are expensive, by the way bro i was checking out your bimmer it is really nice
good set up, i wanna get the m front for mine.
Thanks Bro, I've had a lot of time to work on my car (5.5 years to be exact). The AHL modules control their movement, but the reason I say it might be servo is because the servo resides inside the headlight and can be more affected by a leak since it sits fairly low in the headlight housing. It is part #14 below:

If those are the problem I have a pair of spare ones that work for pre-LCI cars.
I suspect that when the 2 headlights cannot synchronize their movement then one might go off in a different direction.

If the AHL module is bad, that is more expensive. It's #8 here ($231)

Quick Reply: Adaptive headlights