5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Adaptive Headlight Problem (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/adaptive-headlight-problem-73061/)

brianyo 03-19-2009 03:46 PM

All right so I have a two part question. I recently bought a 2008 BMW 528i with a salvage title from an auction. I spent about a month fixing the car and it looks great, but I am having a problem with the adaptive headlights. I bought two headlights separately from ebay and installed the lights. The headlights themselves work, but whenever I turn the car on the adaptive headlight malfunction warning comes up and I had already installed the adaptive modules. The question I have is do I need to take the car into the dealer to get the adaptive headlights reset or is there some trick to clearing the error.
The other question I have is I already passed the inspection for the salvage title and got it cleared with the dmv, but is my bmw warranty now voided because it was once salvage because I am not sure if I am still covered for anything with the dealer.
So that's it thanks in advanced!

tbal 03-19-2009 03:59 PM

Did you replace the ALC units? If so, you need to get the headlights programmed from the dealership.

brianyo 03-19-2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821496' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:59 PM
Did you replace the ALC units? If so, you need to get the headlights programmed from the dealership.

Yes I did replace both the ALC units and after a little playing around with it I got one of the headlights to move around when I start up the car, but it does not respond when I am driving. I am not sure if this is a safety feature though since the other ALC module seems to be broken. I am trying to do as much of the work myself as possible for right now so when I do take it to the dealership it is an in-and-out type of thing, even though I am most likely going to get hit with a $200+ bill :P Alright well thank you for the advice!

z06bigbird 03-19-2009 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by brianyo' post='821538' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:54 PM
Yes I did replace both the ALC units and after a little playing around with it I got one of the headlights to move around when I start up the car, but it does not respond when I am driving. I am not sure if this is a safety feature though since the other ALC module seems to be broken. I am trying to do as much of the work myself as possible for right now so when I do take it to the dealership it is an in-and-out type of thing, even though I am most likely going to get hit with a $200+ bill :P Alright well thank you for the advice!

Call the service dept at any BMW dealer in country and ask them to run your VIN. Ask if it has blocked warranty. If not, ask when warranty ends.

BenAnd 03-19-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by brianyo' post='821485' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:46 AM
All right so I have a two part question. I recently bought a 2008 BMW 528i with a salvage title from an auction. I spent about a month fixing the car and it looks great, but I am having a problem with the adaptive headlights. I bought two headlights separately from ebay and installed the lights. The headlights themselves work, but whenever I turn the car on the adaptive headlight malfunction warning comes up and I had already installed the adaptive modules. The question I have is do I need to take the car into the dealer to get the adaptive headlights reset or is there some trick to clearing the error.
The other question I have is I already passed the inspection for the salvage title and got it cleared with the dmv, but is my bmw warranty now voided because it was once salvage because I am not sure if I am still covered for anything with the dealer.
So that's it thanks in advanced!

Hi

What kind of malfunction warning do you get ? , a flashing green LED on the lightswitch or a yellow headligt with arrows in the center of the cluster ?

If it is the LED on the lightswitch its likely the ALC box'es that need programing , but if it is the one in the cluster it can be becourse the headligths alligment is to much out of "arear" of what it should be.

tbal 03-19-2009 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='821868' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:36 PM
If it is the LED on the lightswitch its likely the ALC box'es that need programing

Correcto, I had this exact issue.

nikko64 03-21-2009 06:16 PM

salvage title = voided warranty

russdx 03-22-2009 01:40 AM

i have adaptive headlights
and will replacing one soon

im getting the lamp my self from ebay probably

can i just plug it in? or will i need (a head light lol) porgrammed ?