E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Sway bar bushing weld broke off my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Sway bar bushing weld broke off my 545i

I have a 04 545i with active sway bars and active steering. last week while I was driving home I noticed a clunk that got worse as I got down the road. Then I noticed a rubbing/ grinding sound when I turn to the right at speed. No rubbing/ grinding sound at very low speeds while turning right. No rubbing / grinding while turning left at speed and at slow speeds just clunking.

Got home jacked the car off and started to shake things . Got to the sway bar and saw the whole driver side bracket broken off at the bottom weld. Wtf!!! How does that happen. Called BMW North America and they said there is no recall but they have heard of this issue. Talked to an Indy and they advised they have seen this and sent the car to someone who welds aluminum. The weld only lasted a few months before breaking again.

I will be dropping off the car at the dealer Friday to see if this can be recalled or fixed due to a defect or something. Any other suggestions. If they don't fix it I will not be paying over 2k for them to put in new engine cradle. I guess I'll be trying to find someone that welds.

Question is should I find someone to weld it? What's causing the grinding rubbing sound? Is it the active sway bar motor?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Seen it myself several times. I believe member HealthServices also had this happen or fixed someone that had this happen.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Seen it myself several times. I believe member HealthServices also had this happen or fixed someone that had this happen.
Yessir, Healthservices had this happen to him. I would send him a message, he is pretty responsive. He welded his back together himself, but he's got skills like that. It's aluminum and from what I remember pretty flimsy (BMW could've made it a little stronger with some bracing behind he plate that sticks down. Good luck
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i DINAN
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Its time we start a Recall Class action. Same here. Welded it first time then it broke again right after I had new front struts installed... $2K. Dealer wants over a $1,000 for the sub frame and sway bar. 9 hours at indy shop its going to be over $2K. I called it a road hazzard and we're in discussion with the insurance company.

I don't think this was engineered well and when the next one snaps in 5 years, I'm filing a lawsuit against BMW or they can fix it for free.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by mancho
Its time we start a Recall Class action. Same here. Welded it first time then it broke again right after I had new front struts installed... $2K. Dealer wants over a $1,000 for the sub frame and sway bar. 9 hours at indy shop its going to be over $2K. I called it a road hazzard and we're in discussion with the insurance company.

I don't think this was engineered well and when the next one snaps in 5 years, I'm filing a lawsuit against BMW or they can fix it for free.
I went thru the same issue , but would say it was my fault for hitting a curb on a narrow drive way .. But I went out and bought a piece of aluminum made an exact duplicate of the bracket .. Had my friend thats a certified pipe line welder weld it .. Its been several years since and its held up great , Ive had no issues with the repair .
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by H F
I went thru the same issue , but would say it was my fault for hitting a curb on a narrow drive way .. But I went out and bought a piece of aluminum made an exact duplicate of the bracket .. Had my friend thats a certified pipe line welder weld it .. Its been several years since and its held up great , Ive had no issues with the repair .
Hey....been doing research on this problem and seems like a common fault. I have a 2007 550i and the driver's side active sway bar bracket detached from the bottom weld. It's still in place with the upper bolt holding. My attempt on finding an aluminum welder has not been successful. They all tell me that they don't want to risk TIG welding on the vehicle which means I have to remove the subframe for them to do it. The risk of fire and shorting out the computers or electronics is the concern. Did you have it welded while on the car? If so, what was the cost? What is the labor cost on replacing the subframe if anyone knows? Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

As long as you disconnect the battery you should be OK while welding on the car, body shops do it all the time. Heck, I even see a lot of body shops weld on cars with the battery still connected.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by KyleB
As long as you disconnect the battery you should be OK while welding on the car, body shops do it all the time. Heck, I even see a lot of body shops weld on cars with the battery still connected.
Well, I hope to find an aluminum welder that is willing to take the risk. I'd like to take care of it before it gets worse. I might have to replace the whole subframe and reinforce that mounting point before the install. I wonder what that would cost?