E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active steering won't reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i retired. 11 550i w/sports package

Originally Posted by motopokep
SOLVED!

For everyone who's going to have an active steering malfunction error that won't reset when you turn the wheel all the way left and then right, before you take your car to the mechanic, try this:

disconnect your battery (I think negative first, positive second). try charging your battery either overnight at 2 amps, or quicker at 10 amps, until the charger says "full". reconnect the battery, negative first, positive second. start the ignition, you'll see active steering initializing message, it will still give you an error message, turn the wheel all the way to the left, hard, give it a jerk. then all the way to the right, then center, then turn off the car. lock the doors via fob. wait 5-10 seconds. restart the car....should solve the problem. the main idea is to disconnect the battery to get active steering to re-initialize, if the usual left-right wheel turn won't reset active steering.

also, there is a 40amp fuse, #4 in the glove compartment fuse box, that controls active steering, check that the fuse is not blown. i was just about ready to give up and let go of some $$$ to the mechanic when I decided to try this thing. i remember when my car was under warranty and same thing happened, my car was at the dealer for quite a while and they did all sorts of tests and ended up replacing components, roll bar or something. when any electronics give out, try disconnecting the battery (and give it a charge), it resets some components.
Thanks for your post, my battery died and after getting the car started every light on the dash came on and I got a transmission code. I let the car run to charge the battery then cut it off and started it again all the lights went off except the AS. I tried the reset, but it didnt work so I unhooked the battery and put it on a 1.2 charge but still kept getting active steering inactive light and message in the idrive. THE KEY TO THE RESET IS DRIVING THE CAR OVER 30 MPH AFTER DOING THE RESET. The light went out and the steering returned to normal after driving the car. Just sitting the the garage or drive turning the steering wheel and cuting the car off and on didnt work for me.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
New Members

I had the same issue today with my 2005 BMW 530i. Drove it for a few blocks, stopped and turned car off. Turned it back on and Bingo, problem solved!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA stock

I had a front end alignment done and the wheel was cockeyed so I aske the tech to adjust, he complies and now the steering feels sloppy.....any thoughts? I didnt get a active steering code.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60 2004 530i
Default thanks motokeep ! worked like a charm on my e60 530i 2004 gulf specs

Originally Posted by motopokep
SOLVED!

For everyone who's going to have an active steering malfunction error that won't reset when you turn the wheel all the way left and then right, before you take your car to the mechanic, try this:

disconnect your battery (I think negative first, positive second). try charging your battery either overnight at 2 amps, or quicker at 10 amps, until the charger says "full". reconnect the battery, negative first, positive second. start the ignition, you'll see active steering initializing message, it will still give you an error message, turn the wheel all the way to the left, hard, give it a jerk. then all the way to the right, then center, then turn off the car. lock the doors via fob. wait 5-10 seconds. restart the car....should solve the problem. the main idea is to disconnect the battery to get active steering to re-initialize, if the usual left-right wheel turn won't reset active steering.

also, there is a 40amp fuse, #4 in the glove compartment fuse box, that controls active steering, check that the fuse is not blown. i was just about ready to give up and let go of some $$$ to the mechanic when I decided to try this thing. i remember when my car was under warranty and same thing happened, my car was at the dealer for quite a while and they did all sorts of tests and ended up replacing components, roll bar or something. when any electronics give out, try disconnecting the battery (and give it a charge), it resets some components.

Thank you motokeep ! Hugs and. N kisses
Old 11-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Also check your power steering / hydraulic CHF11S fluid level. On my pre-LCI, I had to top it off 1 or 2 mm over the Full mark once every one or two years.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i with sunroof

I have a problem with active steering...

I changed the battery (cost me USD 300) original from the dealer and reset by their diagnostic system, but the problem still there. I havent drive it over 30 MPH, maybe i will do that soon...actually the car mostly stay in the garage. For daily drive I use E46.

Any suggestion about this matter?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Members

HI all
Is the IBS sensor sold separately or does it automatically come with the cable?
This active steering problem is giving me grief...
Old 04-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Members

Small bump. Please help