E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

Today i noticed while i was driving my 530i that the steering seems to be of to the left a tiny bit when going straight could this be adjusted by just resetting the active steering at the dealership. I don't think it is an alignment issue because the car has not hit any pot holes or curbs just driven on normal roads. and I did check the tire pressures and adjusted them and sit drives the same. when steering is centered it starts to pull to the left slowly and i did have an alignment 5 months ago and has been only driven 3500 miles since then. what do you guys think?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 29 2005, 04:34 PM
Today i noticed while i was driving my 530i that the steering seems to be of to the left a tiny bit when going straight could this be adjusted by just resetting the active steering at the dealership. I don't think it is an alignment issue because the car has not hit any pot holes or curbs just driven on normal roads. and I did check the tire pressures and adjusted them and sit drives the same. when steering is centered it starts to pull to the left slowly and i did have an alignment 5 months ago and has been only driven 3500 miles since then. what do you guys think?
[snapback]190692[/snapback]
Hi BimmerGuyFL,

*Assuming* that this is not a mechanical alignment issue, but simply an Active Steering Reset:

Straight out of the manual:
1) Start the engine.
2) With the vehicle stationary, turn the steering wheel from the straight-ahead position to the left as far as it will go and then back to the straight-ahead position.
3) Switch off the engine.
When you start the engine again, all the functions of the active steering are available once again.

Good Luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray/Black Step Auto. Sports Package, Logic 7, Cold Weather Package, Parking Distance, and Rear Sun Shades 2002 330ci Titanium Silver/Gray Step Auto, Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon, 18 inch wheels.

Originally Posted by CoolTones' date='Oct 29 2005, 05:48 PM
Hi BimmerGuyFL,

*Assuming* that this is not a mechanical alignment issue, but simply an Active Steering Reset:

Straight out of the manual:
1) Start the engine.
2) With the vehicle stationary, turn the steering wheel from the straight-ahead position to the left as far as it will go and then back to the straight-ahead position.
3) Switch off the engine.
When you start the engine again, all the functions of the active steering are available once again.

Good Luck.
[snapback]190693[/snapback]
Does this actually work on anyone?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 29 2005, 04:34 PM
[snapback]190692[/snapback]
I don't think that's an active steering reset problem, since your car is pulling to the side. When I had my aux input installed they upgraded the CIP and forgot to reset the AS, and while going straight my steering wheel was slightly off center--but it didn't pull to one side. They reset the AS and now the wheel is straight. It sounds like you have an alignment issue.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

I don't believe its an alignment issue since i had one done 5 months ago and the car is driven with the utmost care.