E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

active steering problem...please advise me

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2004 530i and i recently had an accident, it was hit on the left front driver side, im not sure if the alighnment is the problem or what it is cause there is nothing bent or broken but the front wheels don't point in the exact same direction and while not moving or moving slowly when i turn the steering wheel all the way left or right the steering gets stuck ((only when turned all the way)) and the active steering malfunction light comes on,i dont have any warranty and can't afford expensive repair bills, so i appreciate all your help and comments
Thank you.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Well, there are two things you need to check. First, you need to make sure that your steering angle is calibrated correctly (centered & zero-ed). With Active Steering, this can only be calibrated using the GT1 computer so you will have to find an independent BMW shop which has the equipment. It takes about half hour of scanning and calibration. Next, you must get a 4-wheel alignment, sounds like your tie-rods are off point. If after all this, the car still behaves the same, you will have to the time to carefully examine all you suspension components to make sure they're not bent anywhere. Perhaps you bodyshop left out a piece to replace after the accident.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Well, there are two things you need to check. First, you need to make sure that your steering angle is calibrated correctly (centered & zero-ed). With Active Steering, this can only be calibrated using the GT1 computer so you will have to find an independent BMW shop which has the equipment. It takes about half hour of scanning and calibration. Next, you must get a 4-wheel alignment, sounds like your tie-rods are off point. If after all this, the car still behaves the same, you will have to the time to carefully examine all you suspension components to make sure they're not bent anywhere. Perhaps you bodyshop left out a piece to replace after the accident.
How much do you think it costs to get it calibrated?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by lasvegasguy
... there is nothing bent or broken

just because you visually cannot see something bent or broke does not mean there is nothing wrong with the part after the accident.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
just because you visually cannot see something bent or broke does not mean there is nothing wrong with the part after the accident.
the body shop manager said suspension is fine and they have no idea why wheels don't point exactly the same
Old 08-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by lasvegasguy
the body shop manager said suspension is fine and they have no idea why wheels don't point exactly the same
If you can actually see the wheels are not straight then something is bent. Did the shop actually put it on a alignment machine or was it just visual?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the active steering malfunction will come on if you're low on power steering fluid.

and "not pointing the same direction", what do you mean exactly? when wheels are straight ahead?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
If you can actually see the wheels are not straight then something is bent. Did the shop actually put it on a alignment machine or was it just visual?
it was just visual

i was out of town last week and my sister picked it up, i got back 2days ago is when i saw it and tried to give back to the shop but they didnt take it.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
the active steering malfunction will come on if you're low on power steering fluid.

and "not pointing the same direction", what do you mean exactly? when wheels are straight ahead?
yes, when one is straight the othe one is not 100% straight.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

if you say you can see the wheels crooked, it must drive horribly??

check your fluid too.

Quick Reply: active steering problem...please advise me