E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Hello members!
Since some months when I attempt to drive fast, to drift, etc. the steering wheel becomes stiff .
I don't know why, but never happened before 2007 .

The BMW technician told me he cannot test the car in those conditions but in his opinion it is normal because the active steering is assisted by an electronic system etc.

But I'm not convinced

During the normal driving no problem . Only when I decide to go very fast on corners .

Did someone experience it ?
Any suggestion ? Any software upgrade required ?

The car had CIP 19 as stock . Now I have 23 or 24 .

Thanks, bye!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Hi,

Yes, I have similar issue when driving aggressively. I have not been able to get a fix, am on latest CIP26 (I think). My dealer is unable to reproduce the problem and has effected several total wheel geometry adjustments. The only noticeable results have been changing the car from a slight over steering to slight understeer when push hard on dry bitumen.

It occurs more when the weather changes from warm to cold.

Be careful that what you are seeing is not the well noted "feature" of active steering of not being able to auto centre the wheel.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Active steering will also attempt to correct the steering angle in conjunction with the DSC system. I wonder if what you're experiencing, especially in a drifting situation, is the car attempting to correct things for you?

It's just a guess at this point...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

If memory serves i think i read in the manual that if you deactivate the trackion control it will also deactive the active sterring which will stop the steering from trying t make corrections for the driver.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='491982' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:17 PM
If memory serves i think i read in the manual that if you deactivate the trackion control it will also deactive the active sterring which will stop the steering from trying t make corrections for the driver.
That makes sense -- you'd hope that deactivating DSC would also stop AS from intervening. AlexFW, have you tried seeing if the problem still happens when DSC is fully off?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

AS remains AS regardless of DSC on or off or in DTC. I drive aggressive on Tail of Dragon (ToD) as do many of my fellow 6ers and 5ers and neither I or they report AS issues (those that have it) . AS has made the ToD (most recent event was 25 and 26 October) most fun to drive. Video is far too big to post to demo amount of steering wheel effort or travel, but perhaps Richard in NC can chime in with his experience there as well in a 650i and 550i.

I rode ToD with v25, v19 and v16 and all had same response. I made sure I was topped off with fluid and even carry spare fluid with me just in case, but have not needed it. I would suspect sensors, either SZL or perhaps yaw (lateral acceleration) sensor or even ABS sensor. Have you had TPM or FTM warnings?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='492029' date='Nov 9 2007, 01:49 PM
AS remains AS regardless of DSC on or off or in DTC. I drive aggressive on Tail of Dragon (ToD) as do many of my fellow 6ers and 5ers and neither I or they report AS issues (those that have it) . AS has made the ToD (most recent event was 25 and 26 October) most fun to drive. Video is far too big to post to demo amount of steering wheel effort or travel, but perhaps Richard in NC can chime in with his experience there as well in a 650i and 550i.

I rode ToD with v25, v19 and v16 and all had same response. I made sure I was topped off with fluid and even carry spare fluid with me just in case, but have not needed it. I would suspect sensors, either SZL or perhaps yaw (lateral acceleration) sensor or even ABS sensor. Have you had TPM or FTM warnings?
Tail of the Dragon...does that have anything t do with Bruce Lee
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='492033' date='Nov 8 2007, 08:27 PM
Tail of the Dragon...does that have anything t do with Bruce Lee

absolutely nothing... if you look at the route on a map its so curvy and twisty it looks like the tail of a dragon.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey Cobradav... next time you go on a ToD run can you pick up some decal stickers for me at the shop? Some similiar to this one... and the donut cut out of it...

OMG!!! it just kicked in.. I miss my MINI sooo much! I want her back now. DOH!!!! Why the hell did I sell it for?

Active steering problem ?-img_3820.jpg

Active steering problem ?-img_3834.jpg
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='491908' date='Nov 9 2007, 12:46 AM
Active steering will also attempt to correct the steering angle in conjunction with the DSC system. I wonder if what you're experiencing, especially in a drifting situation, is the car attempting to correct things for you?

It's just a guess at this point...

Yes Rudy, I know well what AS does . On mountains I tried many times, in the past, what the AS-DSC can do .
But this is another story, unfortunately

Quick Reply: Active steering problem ?