E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Mar 9 2005, 06:58 AM
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I think that active steering is a useless option.
[snapback]98946[/snapback]
Not useless at all.
It's useless if it malfunctions, but that doesn't happen very often. Mine NEVER malfunctioned!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 9 2005, 07:11 AM
When Active Steering malfunctions steering still works correct? Will behave like a normal steering wheel w.out active right? It wont completly disconnect I hope.
[snapback]98952[/snapback]
Don't worry. If AS fails you have a regular steering without AS!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:44 PM

I respectfully disagree. The first time my active steering actually malfunctioned, my car's steering locked completely, and my car came to a complete stop in the middle of an intersection. I had to restart the car, which took at least 30 seconds, in order to remove it from the street. So, I assure you that it does not default to "normal" steering. If it did, why would the malfunction screen basically tell you, in not so many words, to pull over, ASAP? I'd like to hear from someone who's actually had this happen, instead of BMW theorists who want to think something on the car should be what they think it is.

It's a dangerous, annoying, useless device and, apparently, most people agree, since it's an option at this juncture, thank God.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

That was Evenflow, by the way.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributors

The couple of times my AS malfunctioned was upon startup. I had the opportunity to drive around a bit with AS off and I much enjoyed the resistance and feel of the car. It always came back on after a short while or simply by restarting the car.

Definately no AS in my next car.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM

I recieved the error message about two months ago. Nothing happened. The steering seemed tighter at slow speeds but I did not lose control and nothing dramatic happened. I wonder.....you say that your steering"locked" and then you say that you had to restart your car. I wonder if the active steering was the problem or if it was something else that happend and the AS failure was a symptom of that. Anyway...nothing seemed to happen to me.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Mar 9 2005, 10:44 PM
It's a dangerous, annoying, useless device and, apparently, most people agree, since it's an option at this juncture, thank God.
[snapback]99223[/snapback]
NO. It is NOT dangerous! It might be annoying for you and useless in your eyes, but it's definately NOT dangerous! It would have NEVER made it to the series production. DOT and T?V would have never let BMW put it in the car, if it would be like you described. There must have been some other problems at the time.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 9 2005, 05:44 PM
I respectfully disagree.? ? The first time my active steering actually malfunctioned, my car's steering locked completely, and my car came to a complete stop in the middle of an intersection.? ? ? I had to restart the car, which took at least 30 seconds, in order to remove it from the street.? So, I assure you that it does not default to "normal" steering.? ? If it did, why would the malfunction screen basically tell you, in not so many words, to pull over, ASAP?? ? I'd like to hear from someone who's actually had this happen, instead of BMW theorists who want to think something on the car should be what they think it is.? ? ? ? ?

I have not had any problems with the active steering in my car, 6,000 miles of pure bliss. I love everything about this car especially the active steering.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 9 2005, 04:44 PM
I respectfully disagree.? ? The first time my active steering actually malfunctioned, my car's steering locked completely, and my car came to a complete stop in the middle of an intersection.? ? ? I had to restart the car, which took at least 30 seconds, in order to remove it from the street.? So, I assure you that it does not default to "normal" steering.? ? If it did, why would the malfunction screen basically tell you, in not so many words, to pull over, ASAP?? ? I'd like to hear from someone who's actually had this happen, instead of BMW theorists who want to think something on the car should be what they think it is.? ? ? ? ?

Although Evenflow545 may continue to disagree, no one else on this board appears to have had a similar experience where the steering "locked" and the car came to a complete stop -- if true, this appears to be a more sophisticated problem where your engine cut off after an active steering malfunction.

When my 545i AS malfunctioned, I got the dashboard message and I was able to drive the car for a long distance without AS using the fixed mechanical steering ratio as specified by BMW -- this is NOT a theory as Evenflow545 suggests above, but reality.

Sounds to me like Evenflow545 is embellishing his AS malfunction story to support his personal opinion that it's "dangerous, annoying, useless device." I have seen no evidence that "most people agree," as argued by Evenflow545. The fact that BMW has elected to make AS a separate option only proves that BMW has intelligently priced AS separately to increase its sales revenue -- it does NOT prove or otherwise show that "most people agree," which is nonsense without supporting data (unfortunately, one person's opinion cannot substitute for data in a gross generalization about "most people").
Old 03-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 10 2005, 04:07 AM
Although Evenflow545 may continue to disagree, no one else on this board appears to have had a similar experience where the steering "locked" and the car came to a complete stop -- if true, this appears to be a more sophisticated problem where your engine cut off after an active steering malfunction.

When my 545i AS malfunctioned, I got the dashboard message and I was able to drive the car for a long distance without AS using the fixed mechanical steering ratio as specified by BMW -- this is NOT a theory as Evenflow545 suggests above, but reality.

Sounds to me like Evenflow545 is embellishing his AS malfunction story to support his personal opinion that it's "dangerous, annoying, useless device."? I have seen no evidence that "most people agree," as argued by Evenflow545.? The fact that BMW has elected to make AS a separate option only proves that BMW has intelligently priced AS separately to increase its sales revenue -- it does NOT prove or otherwise show that "most people agree," which is nonsense without supporting data (unfortunately, one person's opinion cannot substitute for data in a gross generalization about "most people").
[snapback]99383[/snapback]
Very good post! I totally agree with you!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 PM

I have left my lights on over the weekend and my battery lost pretty much all of the juice so i had to jump-start the car. doing so my AS was not functioning until next engine start and i had the opportunity to drive my car without the AS.
Driving the car without the AS definately made me appreciate the AS even more. I definately noticed that i had to turn my steering wheel more than usual and it was little annoying to turn in tight spots.

AS is definately worth the money and those who complain can't drive anyways. there is plenty of idiot drivers out there especially in the SoCal. When i turn the steering wheel i feel the car turn and then i turn more or less depending on if i need to do it or not (you should be able to feel and see how much u should turn your steering wheel). Every car has a different turning radius. now, if u r a moron and turn your wheel too far too sudden it is not AS fault if u git the curb and damage your wheel. any driver with little driving common sense will be able to adjust to the AS.

i am sick tired of hearing complaints about AS. iam sorry but if u think AS is hard to master and distracting than you should go ahead and attend some extra driving lessons since u obviously need it.

and one more thing, if YOU, yes YOU, don't like the AS then dont make up some BS reason or event just to support YOUR claim. just say you don't like it and it is ok.

Quick Reply: Active Steering Malfunction