E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Magic??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

I had a close call this morning ? I was on the highway doing about 70-80km/h and was about to change to the left lane, I turned my head to check blind-spot and when I looked straight ahead, the traffic in front stopped. I braked hard, not enough distance to stop, made a hard left, just one really fast turn of the wheel, probably close to 170 degree turn of the steering wheel.

I thought I would hit the car in front but the incredibly quick steering response from the car saved the day!!! I just felt the front right wheel dug in, front of the car pointed to the left, cleared the car in front, straightened out, and there?s no rolling side to side, no loss of balance or at least I didn?t feel the car was recovering its balance.

So I don?t know if it was active steering doing its magic to increase the rate of turn or what? but I guess it was everything working together as they were designed to handle an emergency maneuver. Brilliant stuff.

I should sign up with that BMW advanced driving thing again to get some more practice
Old 04-18-2005, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Good to see that you and your car are OK ...

Did your double double from Tim's spill
Old 04-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Members

I had a similar, though not quite as dramatic, experience. Driving in the right lane at 40 mph, car pulls out in front of me from cross street to the right, instinctive quick snap of the wheel left, my 545 is suddenly in the left the left lane, no roll, no dip, no nothing (and no collision!). I never even had time to get scared.....I have been sold on AS since day one!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Active steering is probably my best tech. feature in the car
Old 04-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Apr 18 2005, 07:48 AM
Did your double double from Tim's spill?
[snapback]116667[/snapback]
No double double this morning.

I don't trust the cup holder with my Tim's or drinks If I have a cup/can/bottle of drink, I usually put it in cup holder of the backseat foldhold arm rest.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='Apr 18 2005, 08:57 AM
I had a close call this morning ?? I was on the highway doing about 70-80km/h and was about to change to the left lane, I turned my head to check blind-spot and when I looked straight ahead, the traffic in front stopped.? I braked hard, not enough distance to stop, made a hard left, just one really fast turn of the wheel, probably close to 170 degree turn of the steering wheel.

I thought I would hit the car in front but the incredibly quick steering response from the car saved the day!!!? I just felt the front right wheel dug in, front of the car pointed to the left, cleared the car in front, straightened out, and there?s no rolling side to side, no loss of balance or at least I didn?t feel the car was recovering its balance.?

So I don?t know if it was active steering doing its magic to increase the rate of turn or what? but I guess it was everything working together as they were designed to handle an emergency maneuver.? Brilliant stuff.

I should sign up with that BMW advanced driving thing again to get some more practice
[snapback]116656[/snapback]

This is exactly what distinguishes our cars from ther Acura, Lexus, etc. crowd...
Old 04-18-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='Apr 18 2005, 07:57 AM
I had a close call this morning ?? I was on the highway doing about 70-80km/h and was about to change to the left lane, I turned my head to check blind-spot and when I looked straight ahead, the traffic in front stopped.? I braked hard, not enough distance to stop, made a hard left, just one really fast turn of the wheel, probably close to 170 degree turn of the steering wheel.

I thought I would hit the car in front but the incredibly quick steering response from the car saved the day!!!? I just felt the front right wheel dug in, front of the car pointed to the left, cleared the car in front, straightened out, and there?s no rolling side to side, no loss of balance or at least I didn?t feel the car was recovering its balance.?
Aside from making the e60 much easier to maneuver, AS is just another aspect of BMW's focus on automotive safety. The best way to avoid injury and property damage is to have the tools and innovations to avoid a collision in the first instance. I'm glad to hear that AS helped you to avoid such a collision.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='Apr 18 2005, 08:57 AM

So I don?t know if it was active steering doing its magic to increase the rate of turn or what? but I guess it was everything working together as they were designed to handle an emergency maneuver.? Brilliant stuff.

I love a story with a happy ending, glad your ok. This is truely an amazing automobile besides making me a better driver than I am, I also avoided a very bad crash with a similar manoeuver, I was amazed how these cars can make a high speed, split second not to be believed manoeuver without effort. What a great car.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Members

Hi guys,

Yea! certainly I can always vouch for Active steering. Drive the e60 for a whole day and take on any of mercs new e-class machines with their own version of the assisted steering technology, and men!!! I was impressed with the bmw active steering.... this makes driving my old 2002 e39 feel like a truck.

The car becomes reponsive in steering handling and once more really agile for very quick responses, it's like it thinks for you or predicts what exactly you'd like to achieve and bingo... its as smooth as turning that wheel.

The beauty of it if that, when your driving at higher speeds, the steering becomes really stiff like in traditional assisted steering systems and keeps the car rigid and firm, you would ordinarily think that at high speeds the car might feel too light because of the active steering, but narrhhhh.... this stuff is stunning... and am pretty glad the BMW is one of the first to debut this tech on autos... am hoping for more thoughtfull inginuity in forthcoming releases.

Kudos to the BMW Group for this one. It surely is not just safety but a new level of driving pleasure. Try parking in a city with this stuff and you'd be amazed how easy and quick you achieve this always and ever altering test.

Redhat.