E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering and Dynamic drive on a used e60?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e90 330i Sport 6mt Eibach/BMW Performance Logic 7 BSW CF Trim Supersprint EX
Default Active steering and Dynamic drive on a used e60?

I'm looking hard at the 550i, trying to get all the goodies I can without too much of a headache down the road.

I've heard that drivers in curvy rural areas like the mountains where I live don't usually get the active steering- and I'm a bit worried that it may be a problematic extra that I don't really need.

I really want the dynamic drive, but again only if it has proved reliable in triple digit mileages. I'm wanting to drive this car a couple years to around 150-180k

Opinions appreciated
Old 12-18-2016, 05:36 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I don't have a 550, but I imagine all the coding is the same. You can code in/out and adjust the speed at which the active steering takes into affect.... so I wouldn't let that be a decision changer... look further into it to make sure. My car is an 08 535xi and it's default "off" or not available until I coded and put in the sports mode. Then I thought it was unbearable at low speeds in the parking lot so I coded it off. Then found out you can code it based on speeds .. haven't had the time or effort to do it, but I certainly would eventually. Nice to know I had it available just by coding.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by thecadman99
I'm looking hard at the 550i, trying to get all the goodies I can without too much of a headache down the road.

I've heard that drivers in curvy rural areas like the mountains where I live don't usually get the active steering- and I'm a bit worried that it may be a problematic extra that I don't really need.

I really want the dynamic drive, but again only if it has proved reliable in triple digit mileages. I'm wanting to drive this car a couple years to around 150-180k

Opinions appreciated
No-one will be able to tell you how long it will last exactly, but if you are looking for trouble free car, you are quite frankly in the wrong forum.
If you want to minimize the cost of ownership get the car with minimal options, but it will be no fun. I see no point in 550i without dynamic drive, especially if you live in mountains.
Active steering required periodic encoder cleanings, I will stay away from that option.

2 options I didn't want to have on my 550i's: Active steering and HUD. HUD comes with special windshield that could brake your wallet and insurance won't cover it.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have active steering on my 2008 550i Sport which was surprising after realizing it was missing following the first month of ownership. I figure that feature misssing as one which won't eventually fail considering what has failed during my ownership. I have dynamic drive and had to have my anti-roll assy replaced just before 100k miles due to leaks (supposedly not repairable). That was about $2k parts and labor (warranty covered). If you think you will have anything even remotely close to trouble-free driving with these cars, don't even bother. You'll easily spend twice what the car is worth trying to keep everything functioning properly. Hopefully you've searched about the myriad of problems with the N62 due to crappy German design, not to mention the electronic accessories that fail as they age. The ONLY thing BMW has actually addressed from their past seems to be window regulators...they don't seem to fail nowhere near as often as they used to.

Last edited by Jim165; 12-19-2016 at 06:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kyngofpop (11-23-2020)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: e90 330i Sport 6mt Eibach/BMW Performance Logic 7 BSW CF Trim Supersprint EX

Thanks all- yes I certainly don't expect trouble-free... the problem is after owning BMWs (albeit the cheaper 3 series) for the past 10 years, everything else I drive is just not satisfying.

If I could find American or Japanese that was as enjoyable to drive I would buy it, but I haven't found it yet...

I'm willing to put the work in on a 550i, but I do not have a European indy (or dealer for that matter) closer than an hour and a half away.

I did do a small amount of coding on my E90, but I only followed a tutorial- I have not idea what I'm actually doing, but that sounds very interesting, being able to adjust the adaptive steering

I don't mind repairing my cars toys- I just don't want to be left stranded by something major
Old 12-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by thecadman99
Thanks all- yes I certainly don't expect trouble-free... the problem is after owning BMWs (albeit the cheaper 3 series) for the past 10 years, everything else I drive is just not satisfying.

If I could find American or Japanese that was as enjoyable to drive I would buy it, but I haven't found it yet...

I'm willing to put the work in on a 550i, but I do not have a European indy (or dealer for that matter) closer than an hour and a half away.

I did do a small amount of coding on my E90, but I only followed a tutorial- I have not idea what I'm actually doing, but that sounds very interesting, being able to adjust the adaptive steering

I don't mind repairing my cars toys- I just don't want to be left stranded by something major

Well, it's good you have some BMW experience and you're not going in blind and oblivious. Your biggest problem will still be the numerous, inevitable oil leaks. Not sure if you are buying high mileage or low mileage based on budget, but getting all of the engine seals including alternator bracket, valve cover, and timing cover seals done asap will cut your chances of being stranded by about 50%. Any car at you look at at ~85-100k miles will likely have been dumped by the previous owner due to these items needing fixes (and possibly more), so be prepared and not surprised if it happens within you first months of ownership.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

I agree with you on the excitement of driving BMWs I have driven many different make of cars as well as many bimmers and there is no comparison!
My 530i has been reliable so far, it's at 128k now.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 08

Have 550i since few months ago and replaced alternator seal, valve and upper timing cover gaskets, final drive gasket, front active stabilizer bar. This resolved all oil leaks on my car.
Changed engine oil/filter, tranny oil/filter, differential oil, power steering reservoir/fluid.
So as others mentioned, it is costly but all depends on the level of your commitment to continue to own it and enjoy the journey.
I like active suspension and pretty much every option it offers. It is fast and smooth particularly I can notice this after completing the above mentioned projects.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

depending on how much you really like the car, so if you're just driving it from point A to B for transportation, then don't worry too much about not having it. But if you're going to own a BMW because you enjoy driving, you should just commit and get active steering.

There is a stretch of road out here in Ca. call Highway N I N E(9), I've driven it in my other cars with fully built out suspension, coilover, upgrade swaybars, fresh bushings, corner balanced. So I know what to expect and compare with. With that, I took my 545i out the first time when it was all stock not thinking much just to see what it can do, and WOW!!! for a stock car. It felt really planted and the suspension felt well tuned when you're pushing it in the twisties. One more plus thing, it didin't feel a go-kart like my other car did. My 545i just felt more natural, like it was made to carve windiest road, then very tame like your everyday car when back on the normal street.

I suggest you go test drive an E60 with and without active steering to distinguish if it's something you can or can not live without in your next car. I'm betting you'll love it.

Last edited by Boost7; 12-20-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
depending on how much you really like the car, so if you're just driving it from point A to B for transportation, then don't worry too much about not having it. But if you're going to own a BMW because you enjoy driving, you should just commit and get active steering.

There is a stretch of road out here in Ca. call Highway N I N E(9), I've driven it in my other cars with fully built out suspension, coilover, upgrade swaybars, fresh bushings, corner balanced. So I know what to expect and compare with. With that, I took my 545i out the first time when it was all stock not thinking much just to see what it can do, and WOW!!! for a stock car. It felt really planted and the suspension felt well tuned when you're pushing it in the twisties. One more plus thing, it didin't feel a go-kart like my other car did. My 545i just felt more natural, like it was made to carve windiest road, then very tame like your everyday car when back on the normal street.

I suggest you go test drive an E60 with and without active steering to distinguish if it's something you can or can not live without in your next car. I'm betting you'll love it.
I'm betting you're right- my problem is location. The closest dynamic drive 5er I've found is still 3 hours away in Lexington KY, and it looks like its had a rough life.

I've actually found a 550 that I really like based on the ad, but Its 7 hours away in Maryland!
Anybody want to go check out a car for me??