E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering/DSC fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 04:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i w/Sport Package

Sadly I'm not having any luck with this issue so I'll try to summarize the whole thing again. Hopefully someone might have some additional information or can point me in the right direction...

One day about a month ago I started up my 2008 BMW 550i (with Sport package) and out of nowhere got 3 lights on the dashboard. DSC light, active steering wheel light, and yellow brake light. (See photo below)

I've read many posts with similar issues talking about the steering wheel angle sensor being a possible cause so I took the steering column apart only to find that the steering angle sensor was pristine. I cleaned it as described in other posts anyway and then put it back together. The lights and error codes remained the same.

At this point I wanted to have a really good idea what was going on so I bought a $400 Autel MX808 scanner to hopefully give me some insight.

With the vehicle running, when I clear the codes, the following codes instantly pop up again on my scanner:

62D6 Longitudinal Dynamics Management (LDM); interface Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
63D0 Longitudinal Dynamics Management (LDM); interface LRR (Long Range Sensor)
63DD Longitudinal Dynamics Management (LDM); interface Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

6146 AL: control unit cannot change to active mode, undervoltage
614A AL: motor position angle: not initialized

I saw the undervoltage part of that error code and so I just replaced the battery and then registered the battery to the car.
I restarted the car and cleared the codes but the exact same ones came back instantly again.

There was a post on here earlier about replacing the headlight level sensor being a possible cause. I just replaced that and there was no change at all, I restarted the car and cleared the codes but the exact same ones came back instantly again.

So at this point I'm kinda stuck. I'm not finding a whole lot of useful info on the codes listed above. Google searches mostly point me back to the steering angle sensor which I know is clean and as I watch the values on the scanner in real time they appear to be perfectly as they should be, centered, and the speed variable on the scanner appears to be accurate and everything.

Anybody out there have any ideas what I can check next? Thanks for any and all help with this thing.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Have you checked the modules in your trunk? Look under your spare tire to see if there is water damage.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Have you installed INPA OR ISTA/D? You need to see what's going on with the car and without BMW proprietary software you're just guessing until you find the actual issue
Old 04-17-2020, 05:58 PM
New Members

Just looked in the trunk and there is no indication that there has ever been any water in there. It's quite clean.

As far as INPA, I don't know much about it but it looks like I'm about to learn. If you have a second would you post a link to what you consider a good beginners resource to get me up to speed? Sorry, I've only owned a BMW for like 4 months so I'm new to the party. Luckily I've got all you fine folks to help me out while I get up to speed. (Pun intended)
Old 04-17-2020, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

You can skip the install portion until you get ready to install it. You need a laptop or tablet to use the program. I currently have it on my WIN 10 laptop and Surface pro running well. You also need a
K+ DCAN cable K+ DCAN cable
to plug your PC to the OBD2 connector in the car.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 04-17-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:10 AM
New Members

Awesome, thank you. I just ordered a cable and I already have a dedicated garage laptop so I should be good to go. Thanks for the info and hopefully I won't have to bug you guys with too many more beginner level questions.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sports,Premium and Cold weather packages. SAT with paddles shifters

Hello everyone, been a member for years and don’t think I have ever posted. But I have dealt with this problem for awhile now with my 2008 550i. I would get the lights and the car would jump out of gear. Whether sitting at a light or backing out the driveway. But, I also had power lags and lights coming on when trying to merge into traffic.. They always reset(went off) when the car was turned off. After searching forums I figured it was either the ABS module or the steering angle sensor. Got codes ran and knock sensor code came back. Tore it down my self as I had an Indy replace them less than 6 months ago. Turns out, one was punched probably from the intake manifold being placed back on.
out in new knock sensors, new plugs and coil packs and of course all new gaskets along the way. Fired her up and the lights have not been back on. Plus, she runs like nobody’s business again. Man I love how this thing pulls.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530d 04

I would recommend for all of you here go ahead and pull out your passanger seat and have a look under the seat to see if the carpet is wet. The genious at BMW decided to but the Active steering control module on the floor, underneath the seat. So easy to get water in the contact or in the module itself. Happened to me, and I also got codes like you "614A AL: motor position angle: not initialized" which gave me the impression that the problem would be with the steering angle sensor. Check the AL controle module for water/corrosion.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530d 04

Edit; this module also runs the DSC/DTC, so it will disable this system too if the module or connection/wires to it goes bad
Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525i E61 M Sort package
Default Me too...

... but it's my fault! 614A 6146 and 6DEC all because I was exploring a scan tool, Thinkdiag which is a little too good. I did what I can't undo.

Any ideas?

I did the steering left right thing, and also disconnected the battery for a while. To no avail.

First interaction here... pleased to meet you! 😁

Quick Reply: Active steering/DSC fault