E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Drift

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, I had the Aux input installed and they updated my software to I believe 19.01. Immediately after that, my car started to drift to the right. I have it in now to fix the window trap issue, the sunroof bang from tilt position, and the RDS. The tech drove it and now my SW, not my normal guy, wants to charge me a $110 alignment. I told him no, and I would deal with the service manager on Monday. Has anyone had this issue? I have active steering and I know the alignment is software related.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

When I had my aux input installed a few months ago, they also updated my CIP and the next day driving on the highway I noticed that, while my car wasn't pulling to the side, the steering wheel was off center (top was at 11:30 instead of 12:00). They forgot to reset the active steering, which needs to be done every time they update the CIP. Took it back the next day and the reset AS while I waited.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:01 PM
When I had my aux input installed a few months ago, they also updated my CIP and the next day driving on the highway I noticed that, while my car wasn't pulling to the side, the steering wheel was off center (top was at 11:30 instead of 12:00).? They forgot to reset the active steering, which needs to be done every time they update the CIP.? Took it back the next day and the reset AS while I waited.
[snapback]181031[/snapback]
I had exactly the same thing done... It was only out by about 3 or 4 degrees max but it made a big difference. They just did the reset procedure...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

This happend to me too. The steering wheel is just a bit off center. I'm getting it reset when I go in for my oil change in a few weeks. You'd think these guys would use some sort of checklist to ensure they don't forget to set it when they do a S/W upgrade.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributors

The wacky part is, my steering wheel is dead on. The car just drifts right - I checked air pressures before I brought it in - who knows - I'll see what the service manager says on MOnday - I have an 04 330 coupe with the M package for my loaner. Very throaty!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray/Black Step Auto. Sports Package, Logic 7, Cold Weather Package, Parking Distance, and Rear Sun Shades 2002 330ci Titanium Silver/Gray Step Auto, Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon, 18 inch wheels.

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' date='Oct 7 2005, 01:53 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I had the Aux input installed and they updated my software to I believe 19.01.? Immediately after that, my car started to drift to the right.? I have it in now to fix the window trap issue, the sunroof bang from tilt position, and the RDS.? The tech drove it and now my SW, not my normal guy, wants to charge me a $110 alignment.? I told him no, and I would deal with the service manager on Monday.? Has anyone had this issue?? I have active steering and I know the alignment is software related.
[snapback]181020[/snapback]
Same thing happened to me. The steering is off center.
They had tried to reset it and somehow it didn't take it, so they tried to re-program AS... But the update failed in the middle of process
Replaced AS control unit, still not able to update.
The car is not drivable.... I don't know how long will it take to get it fixed.

I think too many dealer tech are not well trained. They screwed up customers' cars all the time. :thumbsdown:

Not a happy day.

BMW makes great car, but very poor service tech. This need to be improved.
Otherwise High price Toyota will take BMW's market.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bmw545' date='Oct 7 2005, 07:29 PM
This need to be improved.
[snapback]181148[/snapback]

Sorry to hear...

Thats true...

Sure you didnt mean High priced Nissans?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw545' date='Oct 7 2005, 09:29 PM
[quote name='Green-Crayon' date='Oct 7 2005, 01:53 PM']A couple of weeks ago, I had the Aux input installed and they updated my software to I believe 19.01.? Immediately after that, my car started to drift to the right.? I have it in now to fix the window trap issue, the sunroof bang from tilt position, and the RDS.? The tech drove it and now my SW, not my normal guy, wants to charge me a $110 alignment.? I told him no, and I would deal with the service manager on Monday.? Has anyone had this issue?? I have active steering and I know the alignment is software related.
[snapback]181020[/snapback]
Same thing happened to me. The steering is off center.
They had tried to reset it and somehow it didn't take it, so they tried to re-program AS... But the update failed in the middle of process
Replaced AS control unit, still not able to update.
The car is not drivable.... I don't know how long will it take to get it fixed.

I think too many dealer tech are not well trained. They screwed up customers' cars all the time. :thumbsdown:

Not a happy day.

BMW makes great car, but very poor service tech. This need to be improved.
[snapback]181148[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's why i tried and stayed away from AS. Exactly for those reasons above. Man i feel sorry for you. BMW should put more professionalism into it.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray/Black Step Auto. Sports Package, Logic 7, Cold Weather Package, Parking Distance, and Rear Sun Shades 2002 330ci Titanium Silver/Gray Step Auto, Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon, 18 inch wheels.

[/quote]
That's why i tried and stayed away from AS. Exactly for those reasons above. Man i feel sorry for you. BMW should put more professionalism into it.
[snapback]181258[/snapback]
[/quote]

AS is kind of good or bad. I will say depands on where you live. For me, it is useless in southern CA.

Nothing wrong with the BMW cars. They make best fun cars in the market.
I am just upset about dealer service.
They can't be trusted. I am scared to leave my car with them.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw545' date='Oct 8 2005, 10:19 AM
[snapback]181258[/snapback]
[/quote]

AS is kind of good or bad. I will say depands on where you live. For me, it is useless in southern CA.

Nothing wrong with the BMW cars. They make best fun cars in the market.
I am just upset about dealer service.
They can't be trusted. I am scared to leave my car with them.
[snapback]181286[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yep!

Quick Reply: Active Steering Drift