E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i 6 Speed Silver Gray w/ Black leather M5 Sport package

I have a ghost that I need help finding. I ran over a small rock at less than 5 mph. Yes I cried. Immediately an icon appeared showing the car leaning and the iDrive lit up with DANGER Hydrolic failure warnings, etc. I immediately ran a diagnostic check and the computer found nohting wrong. Updon visual inspection there was no damage, minus some bad scratches on the front spoiler - yes I cried again. I ended up topping off some of the fluids and reset the iDrive to clear all alerts. The alarm went away and I thought everything was fine.

Now when I perform U-Turns I get an active steering alert. The car drives fine, turns feel fine and on visual inspection I can't find anything wrong. Any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Did you top off the power steering fluid as well? It's the tank marked CHF 11s.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530, Manual tranny, silver gray metallic exterior, gray interior, poplar trim 1999 Ford Expedition 4.6L 1968 Ford Mustang 289 Auto

What year model? I started to get the same message with my 07 with low speed left turns. The problem doesn't persist with a restart and , right now, is sporadic...
I have a manual also, BTW....
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sounds like maybe it's the SZL? We assume it was the rock because it just so happened at the same time. BUT just maybe it could be several problems at once. What did you run a diagnostic with?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i 6 Speed Silver Gray w/ Black leather M5 Sport package

Toyota2bmw, Yes I did top off the fluid and that took care of the first alarm where the car icon of the car leaning sideways plus all the HYDROLIC alarms on the iDrive then went away.

g75401, It's a 2004, interesting you mention turning left, that is the U-Turn I make that creates the now STEERING alarm, totally different alarm then the one I described above, which has gone away. And to your point, sporatic, I haven't seen it in days but if I go right now and make a U-Turn sure enough I'll get the Active Steering Icon alarm.

AchtungE60, What is a SZL? I ran a Diag. with a OBD II Actron. I also took it to my friends BMW shop and they ran their diag. tools and said they saw the alarm but found no issues. I'm ready to yell at my buddies to put it on a lift and get the flash lights out.

I've read all kinds of threads in this forum and found a lot of good points about how heavy the car is and for its age I may want to check the bushings and upper control arms. Perhaps this is a start.

It's just odd that I can give and error code to a certified mechanic and no one can find anything wrong. Then I go driving down the road and BAM! Alarm again.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ddlrk
Toyota2bmw, Yes I did top off the fluid and that took care of the first alarm where the car icon of the car leaning sideways plus all the HYDROLIC alarms on the iDrive then went away.

g75401, It's a 2004, interesting you mention turning left, that is the U-Turn I make that creates the now STEERING alarm, totally different alarm then the one I described above, which has gone away. And to your point, sporatic, I haven't seen it in days but if I go right now and make a U-Turn sure enough I'll get the Active Steering Icon alarm.

AchtungE60, What is a SZL? I ran a Diag. with a OBD II Actron. I also took it to my friends BMW shop and they ran their diag. tools and said they saw the alarm but found no issues. I'm ready to yell at my buddies to put it on a lift and get the flash lights out.

I've read all kinds of threads in this forum and found a lot of good points about how heavy the car is and for its age I may want to check the bushings and upper control arms. Perhaps this is a start.

It's just odd that I can give and error code to a certified mechanic and no one can find anything wrong. Then I go driving down the road and BAM! Alarm again.
You should run the diagnostic check while the alert icon is flashing. Some errors are sporadic and you could not find them when the alert is out. Try to provoke the appearance of the alert with the diagnostic tool with you.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

SZL - steering wheel angle sensor. Try rebooting the car to start with. Just take off battery and allow to sit for about 4 hours. Re-connect see what happens.