E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Adaptive Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Love them both. Had a couple of E60 loaners without them and its such a difference. My car feels like a go-cart, they feel totally heavy compared to my car, althought they are the same car......
Never want a car without them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Auto Saloon, Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights, Active Steering, Comfort seats, Bluetooth, Superchipped, extended leather

Another very positive vote from me as well.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by StuB' post='366561' date='Dec 12 2006, 12:45 PM
Another very positive vote from me as well.

From the responses on this forum, it sounds like the owners of cars with Active Steering are much happier in every day driving that the auto magazine writers that spend a few hours with a test vehicle. That is good news to me.

grover
Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by grover432' post='366583' date='Dec 12 2006, 02:16 PM
From the responses on this forum, it sounds like the owners of cars with Active Steering are much happier in every day driving that the auto magazine writers that spend a few hours with a test vehicle. That is good news to me.

grover
Try it out yourself also. Mine is without AS - but I have dynamic drive and it is a must have.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i think AS is good for driving in cities/towns - less resistence and less rotation needed for parking, slow speed turns around the block, etc.

if i'm driving for fun around windy roads, track, or autocross, then i hate AS cause its too light and doesn't provide enough feedback (i.e. can't feel the road) compared to previous bmws. compared to other luxury cars, AS is great. compared to older bmws, M's, or porsches, then AS isn't sporty enough.

DD/ARS is a good compromise between luxury and sport. it reduces roll during cornering while keeping lots of pitche/roll/toe vertical movement so the car floats over bumps. its a very comfortable ride but not sporty enough for me. since there's still a lot of vertical movement, the car dives too much under braking, if you hit a bump while cornering it upsets the whole car too much and feels very dangerous, etc. if the m suspension were available in the usa then i would've gotten that, but this is a good compromise if you want a comfy ride.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Members

I love active steering. I made my mom special order her car so she would have it, and she loves it, too. The biggest problem with it is that I will never be happy in a vehicle without it from now on.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

one more thing about AS. apparently i read on this forum that if you have AS then only the dealer can do an alignment and it'd cost $600 or so. do a search for this topic or others here can chime in to confirm...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='366836' date='Dec 13 2006, 02:33 AM
one more thing about AS. apparently i read on this forum that if you have AS then only the dealer can do an alignment and it'd cost $600 or so. do a search for this topic or others here can chime in to confirm...
Dealer said at the track when introduced it was 50-50 amung the testers that liked/disliked.

Dealer also said the "real car guys" don't want it and suggested I don't bother with the added expense. This all while we are ordering the car, not trying to shoehorn me into an existing "available" car.

They had no examples on the lot for me to try. Would have preferred to have tried it side by side.

I have asked all of my BMW friends if they got it and not one said they did.

Since I don't deal with "in town" conditions all that much I opted not to get it.

Does that mean I don't get the urge to call the dealer to satisfy my type "A" personality and order it? I do get such urges.

Im trying to be more moderate in my 40's. The 530i has "servotronic" which is an option on some BMW's and I'll wait for the ASAD to become a bit more poplular and get more opinions. Give me somthing to look forward too on my next one!

Ii still expect to love my 530i when it comes in!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

AS+DD
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Contributors

I really love AS : Just try another 5 without it and you regret it in seconds ! Dynamic drive is less interesting and I did not really found a difference with Sport package...

Quick Reply: Active Steering Adaptive Drive