E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Just got new E60 without active steering and don't miss it at all! No disrespect to those who have it but the conventional set up is far superior and just like my old E39 - Its superb. Ok parking is a bit easier with AS but under round town driving (20 - 30MPH) the twirling is only a few inches more than active. The main difference is out on the country lanes where the steering has the feel of the old model very direct with loads of feed back. The AS IMHO felt disconected. I would advise anyone about to buy an E60 to leave it well off the options list.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi Merv

I have to agree with you about AS. When I ordered my car, I had decided that I would not have the HUD or the AS. AS is good in principle and fantastic for people who drive in town, to the office, shopping, general bumming around at 30/40 mph. IMO it's no good at all when going fast. I'm sure there'll be many that find it indispensable - I have no regrets at all in not having it on my car.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 29 2005, 05:08 PM
Just got new E60 without active steering and don't miss it at all!? No disrespect to those who have it but the conventional set up is far superior and just like my old E39 - Its superb. Ok parking is a bit easier with AS but under round town driving (20 - 30MPH) the twirling is only a few inches more than active. The main difference is out on the country lanes where the steering has the feel of the old model very direct with loads of feed back. The AS IMHO felt disconected. I would advise anyone about to buy an E60 to leave it well off the options list.
[snapback]108397[/snapback]
You're just trying to get into a fight
Old 03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

BTW. well done in getting your new car! You sound like you are enjoying much more than your previous one.

Incidentally, which dealership did you get it from?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:18 PM
BTW. well done in getting your new car!? You sound like you are enjoying much more than your previous one.

Incidentally, which dealership did you get it from?
[snapback]108401[/snapback]
Cheers, Hobi,

My new car is great, seems more refined somehow. Not done many miles yet but was intrigued with trying the steering round the lanes and of course driving round regular corners I was able to make the direct comparrisen.

I got the car from Benham, Wolverhampton. <_<

Merv
Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:16 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Mar 29 2005, 05:08 PM']Just got new E60 without active steering and don't miss it at all!? No disrespect to those who have it but the conventional set up is far superior and just like my old E39 - Its superb. Ok parking is a bit easier with AS but under round town driving (20 - 30MPH) the twirling is only a few inches more than active. The main difference is out on the country lanes where the steering has the feel of the old model very direct with loads of feed back. The AS IMHO felt disconected. I would advise anyone about to buy an E60 to leave it well off the options list.
[snapback]108397[/snapback]
You're just trying to get into a fight
[snapback]108400[/snapback]
[/quote]

No way - I'm just giving my HO as per the forum
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I see your original AS car was an 03 so it would have had original software. Did you get that updated to one of the later versions that changed the level of AS intervention?

edit - and congrats on the new ride
Old 03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:34 PM
I see your original AS car was an 03 so it would have had original software.? Did you get that updated to one of the later versions that changed the level of AS intervention?

edit - and congrats on the new ride?
[snapback]108408[/snapback]
As far as I'm aware my old car had all the software updates including the AS one following all the "high speed holding a straight line" issues with AS.

All I can say to anyone is try both before you decide as its all down to personal preference.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:53 PM

What I read in Car & Driver is that the very early AS cars had some hardware problems that weren't fixable, and that lead to instability at speed (i.e., the need to constantly correct the steering, etc). Perhaps that was the case with your car.

Different people definitely have different opinions on this topic- valid opinions. Personally, I love AS. To me, it makes the steering feel quick and sharp at lower speeds, while still feeling resonsive and accurate at higher speeds too. When I go back to a non-AS BMW, I really miss it.

I also love the active rollbars. That feature is nothing short of amazing. Once you've had it, you simply cannot go back to a regularly- suspended vehicle- even another BMW.

All told, I'm crazy about my Sport Package 545i and think it's suspension and steering are awesome. To those who disagree, I say simply "to each his own".
Old 03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have AS and know NOTHING of this "High Speed holding line" issue.

I think you just had an older model where the kinks had not yet been worked out. The people who complain about AS seem to all have 2004 models.

AS is fabulous in my car. I feel I have even better control with it, especially when I go and drive non-AS cars afterward. The ability to make sharp turns at medium speed without taking the hands off the wheel is actually safer, I find. I feel so much control in my car.

Quick Reply: Active Steering!